Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

Old Cookbooks

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 326-350 of 407 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2012 8:24:35 AM PDT
I have included a few Wartime food ideas and recipes in my books found during my entertaining research. The one book I used, which I have in my collection, is really fun and interesting:

'Thrifty Cooking for Wartime' by Alice B. Winn-Smith - 1942. Thrity recipes like Bread Omelet "to make your eggs go farther and help use any stale breadcrumbs".

"Our meals can still be symphonies while our courage and our smiles maintain the relaxation and refreshment that mealtime should bring us all... American Housewives - Generals at home in Defense - I salute you!" Alice B. Winn-Smith '42

Patti

Posted on Sep 22, 2012 12:21:49 PM PDT
I came across the most wonderful thing today and had to share.
One of my paternal grandfathers was brought to the U.S. by Sunshine bakery from Germany (1860's) because he had developed a recipe for some type of cracker that kept and traveled well. Don't know much of his story but do know that for a period of time he was the chief baker for the company.
Anyway I found 2 of his cookbooks today - all handwritten, of course.

Here's one of the recipes as best as I can read it.
Van Bar
25# sugar
8# butter and Lard
2oz soda
1 gal eggs
1 gal milk

And
Van Crisps
1Bl. Flour
65# sugar A
15# lard 25# Cottolene
2-1/2 Gal Eggs
1-1/2 Gal Glucose
1/2 Gal Molasses
12 Oz Soda
6# Amonia
2-1/2 Gal Milk
6# Starch
50# flour

Just thought it was so interesting - and can't help by wonder if I could cut the recipes down to a reasonable size.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 11:50:14 PM PDT
Whale Tart says:
I have really enjoyed reading your stories Mrs Lyons!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 11:53:15 PM PDT
Whale Tart says:
Very interesting Puff, I don't think I can even imagine a gallon eggs!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2012 8:19:10 AM PDT
A. Lyons says:
Thanks Whale Tart!
Life is so very different these days and some of it is hard for we seniors to understand.
I worked a full time job in a law firm and was a dessert caterer and fiber artist as well as working on our family business accounts in the evening and I still cooked nice meals for my family of six each night, so I have a bit of a problem understanding why so many have a hard time working and taking care of their homes these days. I used time allocation and do to this day at age 70 and can get a lot done in one day.
Crock Pots were a real blessing back then and it was so nice to come home to a house smelling of stewed chicken so that all I had to do was drop my homemade dumplings into the pot and fix a salad and we were ready for dinner. I made the dessert of the evening and called a couple of neighbors who loved to buy my desserts and they would send their kids over to pick up a few brownies or lemon square etc and I had pocket money. I sewed during lunch time at work creating my dolls, handmade Christmas ornamnets and soft toys and baby quilts and still do today 46 years later for the one show a year that I participate in.
Back in the early forties when I first helped mother in the kitchen, dinner was a real big deal because you had that crystal relish platter with hearts of celery as the main event, crystal shrimp bowls that we filled the bottom one with chipped ice and the top filled with finely shredded lettuce and five large well cooked shrimp balancing on the edge of the chilled bowl. Mother made her cocktail sauce fresh each time with catsup and grated horseradish that burned my nose as I grated it. Divine! A table cloth was always in order as were cloth napkins because back then there were no paper napkins. For many years I made my own tableclothes and matching napkins and still do for festive occasions even today.
The butcher would have delivered the meat of the evening and on Fridays in our large Catholic home it was always oyster stew that was so delicious and then followed the potatoes and veggies as Fridays were non meat meals.
I followed in my mother's footsteps and have taught my 4 children the same way that mother taught the 8 of us, to make light of housework as it's your own home you're cleaning and to take joy in the cooking of food as it's an expression of love and I feel of art as well.
Today fast food is the norm or take out and that's fine ocassionally, but there is nothing like a hot meal eaten around a lovely table with family and friends. I read a good book such as The Little House on the Prairie series to my children as they finished their meal and that lesson included a geography and Bible lesson nightly as well.
The clean up was done by all quickly so that we might go on with our evening.
Times have certainly changed and not all for the better I'm sad to say.
Welcome Whale Tart!
Note to all: Major surgery tomorrow morning so I may not be able to write for a while but I think of all of you and of our collective passion for cooking and old cookbooks!
Alice

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2012 8:34:32 AM PDT
Grandma says:
I'll be keeping you in my prayers A. Lyons.

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 11:00:25 AM PDT
A. Lyons I'll keep you in my prayers, also. Am waiting for re-tests done to see if my pancreatic cancer has recurred so I understand what you are going through. May God keep you in his hands.
A.Wagner

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2012 12:10:15 PM PDT
A. Lyons says:
Thank you Ann. I appreciate your prayers more than you know.
I hope all goes well with you too and will add you to my prayers.
Alice

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 3:10:11 PM PDT
Good luck with the surgery A. Please stop in when you're feeling better so we know how you are.

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 11:33:50 PM PDT
Whale Tart says:
I hope all goes well Mrs Lyons! Just in case you manage to check in:
While you are recuperating ask your grandchildren to download "Blue Bloods" for you,
I am very sure that you will absolutely love it. I love it for its teachings of positive choices and the family getting together
every Sunday after service, (your story of mealtimes made me think of them).
They are Roman Catholics and Grandpa is also in his 70's. Tom Selleck makes an awesome New York police Chief!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2012 10:12:48 PM PDT
Blessings and prayers tenfold Alice....
I've been away too much and hope all is well with you.
Sage

Posted on Sep 27, 2012 11:12:30 PM PDT
kdl says:
Also praying for you A. Lyons. Love to read your posts. I have been so busy with my little guy I haven't had much time for online stuff. Hope your surgery went well and you will be back sharing with us your lovely stories soon!

Posted on Sep 28, 2012 9:02:54 PM PDT
Prayers and thought are with you, Alice. Hope you are doing well after your surgery. Looking forward to more delightful stories when you are feeling up to it.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2012 9:03:56 PM PDT
Ann, keeping you in my prayers also!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2012 12:09:03 AM PDT
Your comment about Bread omelet reminds me of MLK Fisher's book 'How to Eat A Wolf (or something like that). She has two wartime recipes in it for scrambled eggs. One is for people you don't like but have to feed for breakfast. You mixed cereal in with the eggs and milk.

We laughed out loud and my children got quiet for a minute when I explained to them that she probably wasn't writing entirely in jest. :)

Posted on Oct 17, 2012 10:51:24 PM PDT
kdl says:
Still in my thoughts and prayers A. Lyons.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2012 6:54:48 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 18, 2012 6:55:31 PM PDT
A. Lyons says:
My thanks to all of you who have sent prayers and good wishes and I'm very grateful. I went back to my surgeon today for a check up and to get the diagnosis and to my delight and answered prayer I am cancer free. I'll still have to be checked evey six months for the rest of my life but I'm happy to do it.
17 year old granddaughter Colette has been here with me and I've been teaching her how to cook some very easy foods that can feed a crowd cheaply so that when she gets her own place she can entertain.

GREENS SOUP
I cooked some very nice collard greens my daughter brought me this week in a large pot with a smoked turkey wing, some chopped onion, a dab of oil, and a pinch of red pepper, S & P. They were delicious with the steak and potatoes I made and when I was getting ready to wash the pot I tasted the broth and it was delicious so I dumped in a package of 15 beans, two cut up carrots and a three ribs of celery and a bay leaf and let it cook for three hours and had delicious healthy bean soup. I made corn bread from a mix as I'm not well enough to stand long and they were okay, not great like homemade but she liked them.

CHICKEN DIVINE ON THE CHEAP
My daughter had brought us a cooked chicken, and some fresh broccoli that I cooked. The next night I was telling Colette about cheap casseroles and offered to show her how to make one in about twenty minutes. I parboiled some wide noodles and buttered them, and had her cut up pieces of left over chicken and lay them in the casserole over the noodles. I cut up the left over cooked broccoli and put that on top of the chicken, poured over that half a package of grated 4 cheeses, 1 can of cream of chicken soup mixed with a half can of milk, added more cheese and topped it off with Italian bread crumbs and put it into my toaster oven for 15 minutes at 450. She raved about it so we're making it again tomorrow for dinner.

With the cost of everything so high these days including food, I hope we share some good, inexpensive filling recipes that we all used to make when our kids were young and we didn't have a lot of money.

It's so good to be back ladies!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2012 7:06:17 PM PDT
Grandma says:
How wonderful A. Lyons - I'm delighted to hear your good news!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2012 8:10:21 PM PDT
WONDERFUL!! SO happy for you and your FANTASTIC News! May you always be well. Please always remember to be good to yourself.

Many hugs and prayers for your continued good health!

Posted on Oct 19, 2012 2:36:03 AM PDT
SigmaAlphaMu says:
This is the most fascinating and interesting on Amazon. Really enjoyed reading all your comments especially the stories on your families. Thank you all for the magnificent read.

Posted on Oct 19, 2012 7:11:58 AM PDT
Jam so glad for your good news. Take care off yourself and don't overdo. I am pleased to see you back. Ann

Posted on Oct 19, 2012 7:13:46 AM PDT
I am so glad for your good news. Take care off yourself and don't overdo. I am pleased to see you back. Ann

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2012 10:41:36 PM PDT
Whale Tart says:
`.`.`.`.@@`.`.`.
`.`.`.@ *,* @`.`.
.`.`.`@\ v /@.`.`.`
`.`.`.`.`.`.`.`.`.`.`
Glad to hear your good news Mrs Lyons!
I hope that you will share more of your wisdom with us as it is so refreshing and inspiring!

Posted on Oct 20, 2012 9:10:25 AM PDT
Miriam says:
I've been away from this thread for a long time, A. Lyons, but that's wonderful news! Thanks be to God.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 12:15:25 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 2, 2012 12:16:21 PM PDT
kdl says:
Glad to hear you have had great news A. Lyons! :)

I found this site today with old cookbooks you can download in pdf format.

http://www.lib.msu.edu/branches/dmc/digital.jsp?coll=9
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Cooking forum (866 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  72
Total posts:  407
Initial post:  May 13, 2012
Latest post:  Sep 3, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 21 customers

Search Customer Discussions