Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now May4th
Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

best kitchen gadgets in constant use

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 201-225 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2011 1:45:54 AM PST
P. Smith says:
ColdShot: 3 bills for a hand blender? does it rotate your tires?

Hahahaha... you'd think!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2011 9:33:28 AM PST
joaniepony says:
PS,

Every one thinks I'm crazy, (and I am) but this is what I'm striving forGlobe C12 Manual Slicer 12 Diameter Knife Belt Driven 1/3 HP

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2011 3:42:13 PM PST
P. Smith, I have just one bowl from this set. You probably already know by now, but you have to be careful with thin liquids. I sometimes bring soup to work in it. I find the liquid sometimes leak between the lid and bowl rim. I have never but the lid in the dishwasher. It's just not a good seal.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2011 6:39:51 PM PST
ColdShot says:
you better eat or sell a lot of sandwiches for that thing to be worth the cost.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2011 7:19:09 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 24, 2011 7:21:06 PM PST
joaniepony says:
Cold,

I don't have designer handbags like a lot of my friends, so I carry pictures of my Kitchen Toys,and show them to anyone who will look at them.
I had a real Slicer in my past life, and I used it all the time. So this is my last luxury.
You can't eat handbags or even slice with them.

Posted on Jan 26, 2011 8:32:43 PM PST
OldAmazonian says:
We use a fine strainer every day for draining quinoa after washing it.

MIU France Polished Stainless Steel Mesh Strainer/Sifter, 6-Inch

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2011 9:10:08 PM PST
joaniepony says:
I have the 3 and 5 qt sizeRSVP Endurance 5-Quart Precision Pierced Colander
I use them for many things. I guess I never thought of mentioning them.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2011 10:49:08 PM PST
OldAmazonian says:
Nice for noodles or vegs, but quinoa would go right through those big holes.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2011 11:11:58 PM PST
joaniepony says:
I line the colendar with cheese cloth when I drain yogurt to make it firmer.

Posted on Jan 27, 2011 2:58:41 PM PST
F. Wilson says:
My most used kitchen item is my microwave. I dont know if that counts or not. Also the ice crusher on my fridge, I get nausea a lot due to meds for a brain tumor and to meep from dehydrating every time i am actually not able to keep any solids down, I rely on the crushed ice. i use a spoon and chew the ice and then spit it put after it melts, kind of sublingual water. Anything to keep from having to have i.v.'s. Some of those meds are bad even though I also take Zofran and Phenagren. Other than that my little old George Foreman grill is getting a workout lately. Been craving steak, because i'm anemic, too. Guess its those meds.

Posted on Jan 27, 2011 3:05:58 PM PST
F. Wilson says:
Other than that microwave I'd have to say my other best kitchen gadget is my vegetable peeler that peels both sides of a cucumber at once. It came with set of steak knives and those fancy knives that "cut cans" they have orange handles. Don't know the name of the knives but they used to have someone selling them in stores. They'd have a giveaway of some kind of cheap necklace where they gave out tickets in the store and when you went for the drawing they were selling the knife. I actually prefer their steak knives. If you watch one of the demos you can pick u[ some good tips. Watch the way they slice in a sawing motion for tomatoes, that's the trick to thin slicing. As long as you keep a light touch and a sawing motion you can get paper thin slices of even the ripest tomato. The peeler has a peeler surface on top and bottom that slides out for cucumbers or carrots, and a pointy end for fancy cuts on tomatoes or oranges and fruits. So its the steak knives and the peeler, and I also love my other tomato slicer that has individual slicer edges to cut a whole tomato into slices at one time. Again you have to be careful, and use that sawing motion.

Posted on Jan 27, 2011 5:33:47 PM PST
OldAmazonian says:
Our second most frequently used kitchen gadget is a little old Italian version of this:

Pedrini Wine and Bar Pocket Waiter's Corkscrew with Soft Grip

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2011 7:20:31 PM PST
Lee Eschen says:
I've not read all posts in this thread, but my favorite kitchen tool is along the same line as Veronica's first post. It's a plumber's tool called a strap wrench, the smaller version, which I use as an adjustable jar and bottle opener. It will handle any size from Tabasco bottles to large pickle jars.

I have a muscle weakening disease and this tool is a godsend for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2011 2:32:56 PM PST
Veronica says:
Lee,
WHOOHOO! I'm getting a strap wrench.I understand you muscle weakness issues,I had a mild stroke as a baby,(There went my supermodel/actressdreams)so my left hand is weak.I've dealt fine with it growing up but it has gotten worse in my 40s so I love to find things to make doing everything easier for example:my wonderful West Bend slow cooker(very lightweight and great performance),Kuhn-Rukon hand slicer(snap- to -clean,no heavy processor to lift),side open can opener,one handed pepper mill,Pasta Fasta(incredible),Progressive fish/veg steamer(another wowee!),among other things.Anyway thank you,Lee,and please(for all of us needing easier ways to do chores)keep sharing your great tips.Bet other posters have some as well!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2011 4:46:28 PM PST
joaniepony says:
Veronica,

Is that plumbers tool sold on Amazon?

These are pruning shears I purchased for a relitive with a deteriorating muscle desease.Barnel B888 8-Inch Aluminum Straight Blade Bypass Garden Ratchet Hand Pruner I use them also.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2011 9:13:53 PM PST
Lee Eschen says:
If you're talking about the strap wrench, a quick search shows 8 different brands sold on Amazon. The one I use it the smaller on of the two piece set at:

http://www.amazon.com/Alltrade-070008-2-Piece-Grip-Wrench/dp/B000X8X4MU/ref=tag_stp_s2_edpp_strap_12ch

The larger of the two gets used for plumbing and other work around the house.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2011 9:31:06 PM PST
joaniepony says:
Thank you Lee,

I put one in my "Cart"

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 3, 2011 5:11:10 PM PST
Berry_Lover says:
Just put your knife in the freezer for about 3 minutes before you cut the onions, you will cry less. I just figured that out.
My new favorite gadget is The Original Dish Drying Gloves. I can not believe how useful they are. I purchased and XL mat too and they are perfect if you are washing dishes by hand

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2011 4:57:51 PM PST
I just ordered what I thought was a small and a medium size Danish dough whisk. But the small or mini(8") turned out to be the same size as the 11" on another site in Amazon. Apparently one company was measuring the whole whisk and the other was only measuring the wooden handle. The one listed as small (8") turned out to have a higher shipping weight than the 11" one. Wish they had been a little more clear on the sizing.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2011 8:51:38 AM PDT
Mattie says:
I don't think you're crazy at all. I love my slicer and it gets a workout around here. Mine is a little smaller than the link you put but it is basically the same in all other respects, it's just a bit easier for me to store the smaller size, mine has a 9 or 10 inch blade and has held up well for the past 16 years with lots of use.

Posted on Aug 26, 2011 6:02:14 PM PDT
GamblingJim says:
I like my molcajete to make guacamole, pesto and chile. The fasta pasta maker..my OXO potato ricer...the Whirley pop popcorn maker..
the Cuisinart Griddle...Waring waffle maker..my microwave egg cooker...Keurig coffee machine..Braun kettle..Black and Decker small chopper
Zyliss garlic press...citrus press..apple divider..the Showtime rotisserie...etc

Posted on Aug 26, 2011 6:08:15 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 26, 2011 6:08:25 PM PDT]

Posted on Aug 26, 2011 8:42:24 PM PDT
Veronica says:
I am always in awe of my Cusinart Magic Stick....perfect for pureeing soups right in the pot,smoothies,,mashing chick peas.So great and does so many thinks I'otherwise have to use the food processor.Cleaning?Just hold under hot water spout with motor,self cleans.I also like the Oveglove.

Posted on Aug 27, 2011 6:33:12 AM PDT
I have a can opener that cuts the seal of the can lid from the outside so that I can lift the lid right off without any sharp edges. Works and looks pretty much like a regular can opener. It's great though and needs less cleaning.

Posted on Aug 28, 2011 5:26:15 PM PDT
Carlgo says:
slw mentioned wooden spoons. They are so nice, but only the well-designed ones that aren't thick and clunky. I found one in a field, half-buried. Not near a place where one would use any utensil. It could have come from an old flood, but it was in pretty decent condition. I sanded it and refinished it and now it is in a home, in constant use. The spoon gods are pleased.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Cooking forum (874 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  175
Total posts:  1725
Initial post:  Jun 1, 2010
Latest post:  Aug 13, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 33 customers

Search Customer Discussions