Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Learn more
Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

Cooking questions and New cooking stuff and things

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 18, 2012 3:39:10 PM PDT
I have a list of cooking questions but didn't want to start a separate thread for each one therefore, this.......

First question: Have you ever cooked radishes and if you did, how'd you make 'em?

Second question: Have you ever made "espuma"? A day or so ago a person from another list I belong to was taking about making "espuma" - didn't have a clue what it was so asked.....now I know - it's sauces, juices etc you make into a foam using a gadget.

Did you like it if you made it?

Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012 9:38:28 AM PDT
MommaCat says:
I have cooked radishes. They're even better cooked than raw! It really mellows them out.

Cut them in half (remove ends first).
Saute in olive oil or butter or a mixture of the two. Just enough to coat the pan
Saute just till tender, sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Once you've tried that, if you like it, try doing radishes and zucchini. Yummy!

Posted on Jun 19, 2012 4:34:23 PM PDT
MommaCat says:
I should add that you can eat the greens too. Put them in the pan a minute or two before the radishes are done and toss them just like spinach.

Posted on Jun 19, 2012 5:50:39 PM PDT
No kidding? The greens are edible? It seems odd now but when growing up our parents had a gigantic garden and they grew at least 2 kinds of radishes every year and in all that time I never had them cooked or ate the greens....
Will be trying that tomorrow.
In my refrigerator I have 2 enormous bunches of radishes with the beautiful greens attached.

Cooked some of the radishes (your recipe) and they were very good. Thanks! Amazed at the change in flavor -
a bit of a cabbage/turnip taste to them.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012 7:17:01 PM PDT
MommaCat says:
Surprising, huh? Try it with zucchini next time.

Posted on Jun 21, 2012 6:22:40 AM PDT
1.5 thumbs up for the cooked radish greens. Thanks for sharing that bit of knowledge. I was surprised (shouldn't have been but was) that they also had a little bite to them like the radish bulbs.

Now I'm curious to find out about "Espuma" -- I looked at the canister to make it but find the price rather prohibitive unless it produces something really, really good that would justify the purchase.
Apparently there are 2 different types of the device - one that you can put hot things in and one that's for cold stuff only.

Foam food - just not sure about it.

Next thing I want to learn how to cook is Bok Choy (spelling) never cooked that either.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2012 7:14:40 AM PDT
MommaCat says:
Bok Choy is great. Use it when you make any Chinese foods. Chop in finely to put in potstickers. Slice it like you would celery.

You've eaten it, just don't realize it! It looks just like celery when cooked. But you don't want to eat it raw.

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 8:13:53 PM PDT
Do you cook bok choy as you would celery? Yes, I'm sure I've eaten it before when we've gotten Asian take-out and like it so would like to cook it exactly right. Our local grocery has beautiful looking bok choy in their produce department -

Ok, how do you cook potstickers?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2012 9:31:03 AM PDT
MommaCat says:
Basically, I take ground turkey or pork, along with grated ginger and garlic, soy sauce, oyster sauce and sesame oil. Add finely chopped bok choy and water chestnus for crunch. Mix all those together and put a spoonful in a wonton wrapper and pinch it together ...you've seen the shape... seal the edges with water. You can steam them in a bamboo steamer or put in a large skillet with water and cover till ther evapoerater and the potstickers are tender and the bottoms are brown.

I suggest getting one of Martin Yan's cookbooks for a recipe and exact cooking exsructions the adapt the recipe. You'll find a ton of great recipes and you can add ingredients like bok choy to any of them wether it's beef and broccoli or anything else.

Posted on Jun 23, 2012 6:11:15 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 23, 2012 6:12:39 PM PDT
Oh I love to watch Martin Yan - I can only understand about 80% of what he says but he makes the most wonderful looking dishes. Will order his book tomorrow.
And will try making pot stickers, with bok choy, too.

After eons of cooking I'm just now getting into experimenting a little with Asian foods and a few of the new, kitchy techniques.

After watching a couple of cooking shows on PBS this morning I've decided I also want one of Jacque Pepin's cookbooks.
He was making the most devine looking and sounding breads. Just have to make some of those.
I think bread hot from the oven is my favorite food.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2012 8:00:02 PM PDT
MommaCat says:
Have you seen Martin bone a chicken? Amazing!

Agreed. Nothing like bread fresh from the oven. mmmmmm...

Posted on Jun 27, 2012 4:09:52 AM PDT
No, MommaCat I haven't seen that show although I have seen him do a lot of things on "Yan Can Cook" that amazed me. He's so fast!
After your suggestion of buying Yans' cookbook I browsed the web and found his website that includes lots of recipes. Free is good!
Now to get to a store that carries the ingredients necessary.
Just hate it when I have to go to more than one and often more than two stores to buy what I need.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2012 7:32:50 AM PDT
MommaCat says:
I know about going to more than one store, but if you have an oriental market, you can stock up on the ingredients and only need to go every few months. The supplies are so much cheaper for so much more, you'll be surprised. And they last a long, long time.

Yan bones a whole chicken in 12 seconds!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2012 8:52:07 AM PDT
joaniepony says:
PF,

I would guess that cooked radishes would taste something like cooked turnips (Don't like cooked turnips) had them once in a stew.

Posted on Jul 1, 2012 5:11:09 AM PDT
MommaC, (grin) it takes me longer than 12 seconds to pick up the knife!

This was the weirdest thing .....when my husband went out to a dinner this week one of the dishes they served was Bok Choy - it was really good.

Yep JoanieP, cooked radishes taste a little like mild turnip.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Cooking forum (874 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  3
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  Jun 18, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 1, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions