Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM
Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

Kaju Katli

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 12, 2010 2:15:51 AM PST
I recently heard of this Indian treat and understand it is supposed to be simple to make. But the recipes I've found searching google are a bit unclear. They don't mention the temp to bring the syrup; I'm not sure if I should soak the cashews or not, and I'm not sure about grinding the nuts. Can I do it in my blender? Or my coffee mill? Better yet, does anyone have a recipe for Kaju Katli (cashew fudge) that's standardized?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2010 8:48:12 AM PST
Carrie O. says:
hb - I don't have a recipe. I've had Kaju Katli. I work with a lot of Indian folks, they all invariably bring this back when they go home to visit. It's one of those things that you either love it or hate it.

I'll ask one of the guys whose wife cooks and see if he can ask if she has a recipe. :) A more clear recipe.

I grind nuts in my tiny food processor. Not sure if you can do it in a blender but I'm sure one of the other posters will know.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2010 9:34:09 AM PST
I don't have a food processor :O

I used to make candy often but haven't in the longest time. I only heard of Kaju Katli recently and I'm dying to make it. With the holidays coming up, and all the parties, I'd like something easy to make that's different. Ya know?

I hope your friend's wife has a recipe. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2010 10:36:28 AM PST
omg, last week only i made khaju katli for celebrating DEEWALI.. Take a look at my blog, i've made it step by step so that everyone can understand...with pics..

http://jellybelly-shanavi.blogspot.com

Glad if i helped u out..

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2010 11:16:50 AM PST
Carrie O. says:
hb - don't feel bad. I only have a little tiny one (called a little oskar) that's probably 15 years old. :) And it was a hand-me-down from my mom.

I understand wanting to do something different! I have a couple of old faithfuls (peanut brittle, caramel) that I make, but add different things each year to those two. Sometimes cookies, sometimes shortbread, truffles. Heck, I even made cordial cherries one year. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2010 12:39:22 PM PST
Vijay, That is very straightforward! And you used saffron - everyone should take a look. Thank you. Have you ever made it using milk instead of water? Or soaked the cashews in milk or water before grinding them? I have seen some recipes that say to do this, others don't mention milk or soaking. That's part of why I am confused.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2010 4:59:14 AM PST
Vijay,

I finally got around to making it, and it was resoundingly - OK. I let it cook too long and when I poured it, it began to seize up. Fortunately I'd poured it on parchment paper. I put it back in the pan with some water and got most of the lumps out, although the candy is a bit grainy. So the texture is off. I made mine with cardamom powder. And though I did not get the texture right, it is quite delicious, and I will make it again - it will be my new signature dish :D

Posted on Nov 22, 2010 7:08:39 AM PST
Jeenalee says:
Hi H,
Here is the video link to the easiest recipe for Kaju Katli. I made it and it was so good that could not believe it to be this easy. I used the microwave instead of the double boiler that this recipe calls for but still it turned out great. You have to grind the cashews in the coffee grinder.
Here is the link :http://showmethecurry.com/desserts/kaju-katli-cashew-burfi.html

Jeenalee

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2010 1:12:12 PM PST
I have seen that video. There are a lot of videos, and a lot of different techniques. One thing is for sure, it is absolutely delicious! I hadn't even heard of it till Diwali, then I had to try it. I will probably try every method, too. I have a powerful sweet tooth :)

Posted on Apr 18, 2012 2:08:48 PM PDT
I grind them in blender and then I sieve out the bigger pieces. Just make sure you don't grind on very high for too long... as cashews will give out the oil. My mom would do it for 30 sec then let it kool a bit and so on.

Also few drops of rose water (not essence) does wonder to the kaju katli.
Your reply to Amazon Customer's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2012 3:20:50 PM PDT
I have tried a food processor and coffee grinder and wasn't happy with either. I'll try my blender, and get some rose water. Thank you, Surbhi.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2012 3:23:24 PM PDT
yeah food processor doesn't make powder. You basically need cashew grounded to powder form like sugar.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2012 6:31:00 AM PDT
You're right. Every time I make it, it turns out grainy. And I do know how to make candy. I've been making homemade fudge basically the same way as kaju katli is made, except I use milk, and it's cocoa powder instead of nuts. I've made it since I was a girl, and usually have good success.

Does your mother use raw cashew? I think sometimes it tastes a little overcooked with roasted cashews. I haven't been able to find a clear answer to that question. I've read tons of recipes, and watched lots of videos, and one or two said raw cashew, but most just say cashew. And I can't tell from the video if they're using raw or roasted nuts.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2012 5:51:53 PM PDT
We use raw cashews. In monsoon season in India or in places where it rains a lot or is humid, they roast it bit (not as much as roasted cashews).

Just in an open pan, low heat to take away the softness coz of excess humidity.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2012 8:26:15 AM PDT
I need to find raw cashews, then. You have been so helpful, Surbhiji. Thank you!

Posted on Apr 21, 2012 8:14:58 PM PDT
Do let me know how it turned out.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Cooking forum (874 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  Nov 12, 2010
Latest post:  Apr 21, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions