Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Grocery Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Big Savings in the Amazon Fall Sportsman Event Baby Sale
Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

large flat bottom stir fry pan?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 22, 2012 12:13:22 AM PDT
s.ma says:
Hi everyone...I'm looking for a stir fry pan with a large flat bottom to best utilize my glass top stove. the diameter of the stove is 10"...but the largest wok I can find is having 7-1/2" of bottom diameter..which will cause quite some waste...any suggestions?

Posted on Apr 22, 2012 10:19:38 AM PDT
rice lover says:
I sympathize with your cooking on an electric stove. The amount of wasted heat and the heating up of the kitchen when the pan bottom doesn't match the cooktop surface made me reluctant to cook in the summer in my previous home with an electric hob. I looked at all of my cookware, and found the same size issues: My 14 inch carbon steel wok, my 14 inch stainless steel wok, and my Circulon stirfry pan all have flat bottom surfaces of only 7 1/2 inches (I have a gas stove now). When looking for a pan bottom that covered 10 inches, they were more like high sided saute pans, which are harder to stirfry in because the food sometimes spills over the sides and the corners are harder to stir.

I have a few suggestions: Breville makes an electric stirfry wok, both in nonstick and in stainless steel. I noticed customers rated both 5 stars on Amazon. Another suggestion is using a portable induction cooktop (recommend 1800 watt) which can be purchased inexpensively online, along with an inexpensive flat bottom carbon steel wok, or an induction ready flat-bottom stainless steel wok (usually more expensive). The induction only heats the flat bottom surface of the pan, and minimizes wasted heat.

Or, if these options cost more than you were wanting to invest, then turn up the air conditioner and use your electric stove with a flat bottom wok or stirfry pan. I enjoy Grace Young's cookbook "Stirfrying to the Sky's Edge."
Your reply to rice lover's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2012 12:14:11 PM PDT
I have to second your suggestion of an electric wok, and the Breville is a good choice, as is the Presto Stainless Wok. I chose stainless because the coatings on woks are not necessarily pfoa-ptfe free yet and you stir fry at high temps. And that is another reason to use an electric wok; the glass top stove will probably not heat up a wok sufficiently. I find the wok is very versatile; I use it for tempura (nice for table top service, which is typical for tempura dinners) also I use it as an ice bin when chilling down a Bavarian Cream. (it's shallow and wide so holds a lot of crushed ice in which I put my bowl to beat the gelatin and whipped cream. Uh, don't heat it up, though!)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Cooking forum (869 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  3
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  Apr 22, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 22, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions