Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

Hawaiian foods?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 10, 2012 2:30:09 PM PDT
Savage Lucy says:
So I'm signed up to bring a desert to a Hawaiian themed pot luck at work.

Only problem is that the other ladies also bringing deserts are bringing pineapple/coconut cakes.

What other foods do you think of when you think Hawaii? I can't very well make ham cupcakes (Although Ham/pineapple muffins might be good if you're into that kind of thing...)

Feel free to discuss non-desert Hawaiian dishes and mixed drinks as well! I'm looking for inspiration!

Posted on May 10, 2012 2:59:20 PM PDT
Grace Watts says:
cookies or brownies with macadamia nuts

Posted on May 10, 2012 3:21:06 PM PDT
When I was in Maui a few years ago, every bakery we visited had coconut macaroons. And they were big, moist and delicious! Way better than anything I had here on the mainland. If you like macadamia nuts, go to the Mauna Loa website and look for recipes there. Pork dishes are very big there too, not just the ham variety. Kona coffee is very popular there and here. Although it is expensive, you would just need a small amount to add to a chocolaty dessert. Brownies with Kona coffee added...yum! Or even chocolate cake squares with the Kona coffee in the icing.

Posted on May 10, 2012 3:23:09 PM PDT
Savage Lucy says:
You know I was thinking about doing something with coffee. I will have to look for some recipies. Thanks for that idea!

Posted on May 10, 2012 4:12:20 PM PDT
Try this website for coffee recipes: folgers.com/coffee-dessertrecipes.
You can always swap out the folgers coffee in the recipe for Kona if you want to be more authentic. Not that anyone would know, of course. :) This site has recipes for ice cream, cakes, pies/tarts, cookies and bars, etc...Good luck and have fun.

Posted on May 10, 2012 6:01:47 PM PDT
Daniel Fong says:
If you can make Haupia, you can seriously impress everyone. It's a type of Hawaiian Coconut Pudding served in Lu'aus. The texture is similar to jello but creamier. I usually eat it a famous Hawaiian restaurant called Helena's on Oahu. But I don't know how to make it, maybe you can look it up on google.

Also anything with macadamia nuts is amazing. You could do a white chocolate macadamia nut coookie. But in Hawaii, I think most locals prefer the crunchier buttermilk cookies rather than the softer ones. Even though we have " 10% kona coffee blend" in some of our desserts like cookies and chocolate we seldom eat it in Hawaii.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 7:16:50 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 10, 2012 7:18:18 PM PDT
blues clues says:
you can easily make Haupia with this NOH Foods of Hawaii coconut pudding Haupia, 2 Ounce Packages (Pack of 12) or

Haupia Squares

Ingredients
Crust:
1 1/2 sticks butter
4 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts nuts
Haupia Layer:
2 12 oz. cans coconut milk
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup water
7 tablespoons cornstarch, mixed with 1/2 cup water

For crust, cream butter and sugar. Add flour and nuts. Press lightly into greased 9x13 inch pan and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Set aside to cool. Meanwhile, cook thawed coconut milk, sugar and water over medium high heat. Add cornstarch mixture to coconut mixture, and stir vigorously until it comes to a boil. Remove from heat, and pour over baked crust. Refrigerate to cool, and cut into square

or

Haupia Cupcakes

Cake
1 box white cake mix
2/3 cup coconut milk
2/3 cup water
2 eggs
Haupia Filling
2 cups coconut milk
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
4 tablespoon corn starch
1/2 cup water
1 tsp vanilla
Frosting
1/3 cup coconut milk
1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
2 cups heavy cream
6 tablespoons sugar
shredded coconut, to top

Cake
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put cake mix, coconut milk, water and eggs into a large mixing bowl. Mix well and fill cupcake pan. Bake for 20 minutes. Cool cupcakes.
Haupia Filling
In a sauce pan heat coconut milk (do not boil).
Mix sugar, salt, and cornstarch with water; stir into hot coconut milk.
Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens (cook over low heat to avoid curdling). Stir in vanilla and cool.
Frosting
Soften gelatin in 1/3 cup coconut milk; dissolve over hot water.
Cool.
Whip cream; fold in gelatin mixture and sugar.
Assembly
Use cone method to create cavity for filling in cakes.
Fill cavity with about a tablespoon of filling.
Put cake cap back on.
Chill for 30 minutes to set filling.
Top with generous dollop of whipped cream frosting.
Top with shredded coconut.

Posted on May 11, 2012 7:49:12 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 11, 2012 7:52:09 AM PDT
widowTink says:
COCONUT SHRIMP with a sweet chili dippin' sauce! I like to get my recipes at AllRecipes.com. I just now checked at AllRecipes, I typed in "hawaiian" in the search and it came up with 166 recipes for desserts, main dishes, sides, drinks, you name it!

When I think "hawaiian" I think seafood....shrimp, crab, fish....remember they are islands, and they eat lots of seafood, tropical fruits and wallpaper paste....oops I mean POI.....

The best rum in the world is Captain Morgan Tattoo Rum, it's very dark with spices and citrus and would be a very appropriate spirit for a luau. Aloha!!!!

Posted on May 11, 2012 8:49:12 AM PDT
Savage Lucy says:
Haha, if you think I'm preparing shrimp for MY coworkers, you're nuts XD

Thanks, though for the recipes Blues.

Daniel - One of my favorite things to do is turn something that isn't a cupcake into a cupcake. Meaning my Margarita cupcakes and my Pumpkin Pie cupcakes were big hits. So maybe I can turn a cup of coffee into a cupcake?

I'll have to make a test round of something this weekend.

Posted on May 11, 2012 1:28:14 PM PDT
Drizzy says:
I vote using haupia too. It's certainly more Hawai'ian than a cupcake with some coconut sprinkled on it. If you have the determination you can try making malasadas, or *gasp* haupia-filled malasadas. Here's an example recipe (I'm not sure if it's any good, sorry):

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Malasadas-103930

Red velvet cupcakes are very popular here, too, although they don't scream, "Hawai'ian".

Also look up some recipes using lilikoi (passionfruit) or mango. Even a simple drink like lilikoi tea or POG (passionfruit-orange-guava) may work for you.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 2:11:10 PM PDT
LeilanisMa! says:
Haupia! Yum! It is simillar too pudding and so tasty!

Posted on May 12, 2012 9:13:57 AM PDT
KayDee says:
Go to: http://www.hawaii.edu/recipes/ for inspiration. ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2012 9:02:38 PM PDT
blues clues says:
friends & family love these cookies! just thought i would post it if you happen to have another Hawaiian themed pot luck. it's from one of my fav cookbook that i had gotten back home (^^)/ Hawaii's Best Local Desserts

Arare Cookie Crunch
makes 5 dozen cookies

3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup margarine
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 2/3 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups crushed arare (japanese rice crackers)

in large bowl, beat butter,margarine and sugar.
add flour and vanilla; mix well. stir in crushed arare.
drop dough by teaspoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets and flatten slighty.
bake at 325 degrees for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Your reply to blues clues's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 10:22:44 AM PDT
S Preissler says:
I'm from Hawaii "Oahu Island". How about a bag of Kona Coffee for the hostess to make? Everything on the islands that is sweet is as follows: tropical fruit platter (dip a few strawberries or pineapple slices in chocolate to give it that pretty look). Cookies or brownies with Mac nuts (be sure to use your food processor to break them up into small pieces as they are a hard nut). Pineapple upside down cake.. or go gourmet and make little cupcakes with the bottom having the pineapple pieces and brown sugar - top with yellow cake mix (you could add some crushed pineapple to the batter) top with whip cream and a small chunk of pineapple... good luck and aloha.

Posted on May 13, 2012 10:48:26 AM PDT
Hostess? This is a pot luck lunch at her workplace, not a party at her home.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 10:52:42 AM PDT
S Preissler says:
Sorry, my mistake. I wont post again

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2012 9:53:35 AM PDT
Oh don't leave because some know-it-all poster decided it's her duty to correct other poster's contributions. Your comment was interesting.

'Shrinking footprint', my butt. That comment from her was more like a boot.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012 6:20:02 PM PDT
Do you know that Spam is REALLY big in Hawaii? I would think even just roasting it with some pineapple on the side would suffice.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012 6:26:14 PM PDT
Plese don't leave. Don't let snotty people keep you from all the fun There are some mean people all about here, but most are caring and supportive. Your idea is a good one no matter who prepares it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 9:44:51 AM PDT
GW says:
Brownies with Maui Wowie.

Posted on May 23, 2012 1:52:11 PM PDT
Arielski says:
Poi. Just kidding, of course.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Cooking forum (854 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  21
Initial post:  May 10, 2012
Latest post:  May 23, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions