Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

recipe for madelaines and where you get the cookware?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 29, 2012 10:24:39 AM PDT
blueskies says:
I recently came across a reference to Proust's famous madelaine reference in regards to evoking memories for a paper I was writing. For some reason, the whole madelaine thing stuck with me and I looked them up on the internet. They look inviting, but I don't think I have ever tasted one. Any suggestions or recipes or where you get the madelaine pans?

Posted on May 29, 2012 12:47:00 PM PDT
Read It All says:
I have never baked them, but I know you can get recipes at recipe.com and you can get the right kind of baking pan at cooking.com, they have one for $15.95. Hope this helps a little.

Ria

Posted on May 29, 2012 12:57:29 PM PDT
Kay Shepherd says:
They have them here on Amazon, too. Also at other stores like William-Sonoma, etc.

There are regular and non-stick as well as the traditional (larger) size and mini ones.

Here is just one version:
Chicago Metallic 26631 12-Cup Nonstick Madeleine Pan

They are sort of like a small, shell-shaped bite of cake.

Posted on May 29, 2012 1:50:51 PM PDT
A. Doherty says:
epicurious.com has a great recipe with an excerpt from Proust's book. They are also called lemon tea cakes.

Posted on May 29, 2012 2:33:12 PM PDT
Read It All says:
Here is a book on Amazon with a madeleine recipe: We Love Madeleines.

Can't get any easier than that!

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 4:54:30 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 29, 2012 4:55:17 PM PDT
You can get madelaine pans right her on AMZ. I think they are Chicago Metallic, but not sure. Recipe? Google "recipes, madelaines."

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 6:52:36 PM PDT
joaniepony® says:
blue,

Cook's Illustrated Magazine, Mar/Aprl 1996 page 21 : Page 32 where to buy. that was before the internet really took off
so I'm sure there are better references. Tinned steel is the material that is recommended for the pans.

Posted on May 29, 2012 6:59:02 PM PDT
blueskies says:
Thanks, all for posting. I ordered the madelaine pan from Amazon. I have to content myself with looking at pictures for now. I'll let you know how they turn out!

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 7:01:05 PM PDT
I LOVE madelaines. There used to be a bakery by where I worked that sold them. YUMM!!! Once a week I would buy a half dozen and snarf them all down!

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 7:04:57 PM PDT
blueskies says:
I can't wait to try them! I have never had one and they looked yum in the pictures. I wish there was a bakery around that had them.

Posted on May 31, 2012 12:09:21 PM PDT
Nik says:
I have the fox run tinned steel pans and they baked the madeleined perfect. You should also have on hand a very good scale as measuring by cups just don't work. The recipe I have called for letting the batter chill for one hour before baking. The cake came out with the tradition humps. They were great. I also have the mini madeleine tinned steel pans... Happy baking!

Posted on May 31, 2012 12:55:49 PM PDT
blueskies says:
OK, good to know. I have a scale I use for soap making so it is probably OK. I am really getting eager for my baking tins to arrive!
Does anyone know if you can use stevia? I have been trying to use less sugar but not sure about baking with it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 11:58:23 PM PDT
blues clues says:
found a recipe using stevia

Madeleines

3 tbsp fromage frais
2 eggs
3 tbsp oat bran
1 tbsp wheat bran
2 tbsp cornflour
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp sweetener (or equivalent - I used Stevia)
1 tsp almond flavouring

Preheat oven to 180/190C
Combine and mix the fromage frais and eggs.
Stir in the two brans, cornflour and baking powder.
Add the sweetener and flavouring. Mix well.
Put into the Madeleine mould (I have a silicone mini mould for 15 cakes).
Bake for 15-20 minutes.
Remove from the mould.
Cool and eat.
Store in a metal tin for 3-4 days max.

I got more than 30 mini Madeleines from this mixture. The silicone mould meant the undersides didn't really brown. They puffed up a lot, even with only 1/2 tsp of baking powder.

Light texture. "Real" Madeleines I think are more dense. Nothing Proust would write about but worth experimenting with and trying different flavouring. Might try lemon or butter next time.

from-http://ddr.myfreeforum.org/archive/madeleines__o_t__t_145.html

Posted on Jun 2, 2012 12:00:13 AM PDT
blues clues says:
another using Agave

Agave Nectar Blueberry Madeleines
Ingredients

1 cup (140g) flour, sifted
1 teaspoon baking powder
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup (200g) sugar
4 tablespoons agave nectar
1 stick (4 oz/113g) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
Blueberries
Directions

Preheat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF. Lightly grease two 15 ½-by-9-inch (38×22cm) nonstick madeleine pans.

In a separate small bowl, combine the sifted flour and baking powder. Set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the eggs, sugar and agave nectar. Using a spatula, fold in the dry ingredients until just combined; the batter will be slightly stiff. Add the butter and essence, mixing until just combined (do not overmix). Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Spread a heaping tablespoon of the batter evenly into each madeleine cup, add in bluberries and bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until a hunchback has formed on the puddings and they are golden brown. Unmold them immediately onto a wire rack and allow them to cool completely.

from-http://kumpulanresepkoe.wordpress.com/2010/10/04/agave-nectar-bluekberry-madeleines/

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2012 12:03:24 AM PDT
blueskies says:
THANK YOU!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2012 4:08:37 AM PDT
cookie baker says:
This sounds good. I have made hundreds of madelines, but never with fruit. Can't wait to try! Also, any Madeline's I've made that did not have the melted butter added to batter last, were horrible. So, always melted butter last!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Cooking forum (867 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  May 29, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 2, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions