Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

Ostrich...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 16, 2012 1:45:36 PM PST
GarionOrb says:
Has anyone tried ostrich egg or ostrich meat? How is it? How much would they cost at the store?

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 12:52:58 AM PST
C. Woods says:
Check with Backyardchickens.com for information on your interest in ostrich meat.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2012 6:45:40 AM PST
Grandma says:
We have several ostrich farms here in Vermont and New Hampshire. I've not seen the meat in the regular grocery but it is sold in the local co-ops. Being organic, it is pricey. Very pricey. As a comparison, an organic chicken will run you well over $20 in that venue. Because of that, I've not bothered to try it. The Best of Vermont country cooking: a collection of recipes. does contain a number of recipes though if you decide to give it a go.

Posted on Jan 18, 2012 3:32:37 AM PST
never tried the eggs, meat is nice.
Can't really describe the flavour, think of a chicken- or turkey-like texture with a more gamey flavour to it as a start.

Hard to get here, usually only available around Christmas time now that the ostrich fad from a few years ago has faded and most of the farms gone bust.

Posted on Jan 18, 2012 3:48:20 AM PST
A good flavour a lot like turkey

Posted on Jan 19, 2012 8:08:08 AM PST
Carlgo says:
I met a guy who quit his good business and invested everything into the Next Big Thing: ostrich farming. He tried to get me and my boss to invest, but we didn't. He went bust.

You used to see ostrich meat around, but no more. Had some, nothing wrong with it, but chicken factories can basically squeeze a million sad chickens into a small space, pump them up and run them through some machines. Ostriches are big and take up a lot of space, pretty much have to be cage-free and free range to some extent, so the cost goes up.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2012 3:02:52 AM PST
over here at least ostriches replaced some pigs when farmers started getting penalised for the amount of dung they were producing.
Because of the idiocy of the law, ostrich dung wasn't included in the calculations.

When those laws were changed to be more realistic and more inclusive, that advantage disappeared and so did the evil tempered, uncontrollable, birds.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Cooking forum (874 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Jan 16, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 25, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions