Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

GOT FIGS? What do I do with them?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-47 of 47 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jul 16, 2012 8:07:41 AM PDT
widowTink says:
Hilda sez "...it's like eating a little pocket full of honey." OMG!! I go outside to my fig tree everyday, inspect the little green figs, and stand there repeating this mantra: "RIPEN, RIPEN RIPEN!!!" Gee whiz, I can't wait!! You are all making me SO HUNGRY to try my figs!!!!!!

There was ONE fig on that tree that was ripening....and the next day after our gardeners were here that fig was GONE!!! I guess I'll have to put a note on my tree to LEAVE MY FIGS ALONE!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2012 11:50:36 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 16, 2012 11:52:37 AM PDT
E. Bobbitt says:
you can make preserves; cook them with lemon slices, some water (until they soften - just watch them closely) a little sugar (to your liking; I don't use much anymore); and a dash of butter (this is optional); the fig preserves is delicious on toast, pancakes, etc. Keep an eye on them constantly until you're used to fixing them as they can burn if you let them run dry. I used to take my Mama's butter to a neighbor friend and in return pick up figs which Mama made into preserves. It is absolutely delicious. It's a simple recipe - just watch it closely and enjoy!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2012 2:36:04 PM PDT
Thom says:
We also have a fig tree we planted about 22 years ago. Every year we make: fig jam with ginger; homemade fig ice cream; fig bars; but most of the time, we just cut the figs in half and put them on a plate in the middle of the table at the end of dinner. They're gone in no time. So sweet, it's like candy in a fruit!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2012 4:14:04 PM PDT
joaniepony® says:
I just remembered my Grandmother making fig jam with some pieces of lemon rind and cinnamon bark.
It was wonderful.

Posted on Jul 16, 2012 4:52:25 PM PDT
Vito says:
try grilling them.....mmmmmmm good!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2012 6:28:21 PM PDT
My first fig for 2012 is almost ripe!!! I'll have hundreds and hundreds of them this year!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2012 6:34:38 PM PDT
DisplacedMic says:
same here! although i'll only have about 5... but i'm just happy that i'll have any! it's a new tree and planted kind of late, but already it has 5-6 healthy looking fruit growing.
can't wait :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2012 6:35:00 PM PDT
DisplacedMic says:
yes! delicious!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2012 10:45:42 PM PDT
My mother used to make the BEST fig jam in the world! In fact, I do believe that fig jam IS the best jam in the world, with apricot coming in second. I'm sorry I never got her recipe, but it should be pretty easy to Google a good recipe for fig jam?? I loved it best with butter (or margerine) on any kind of crisp, plain crackers!! And don't forget, you can keep jam forever and ever.

I don't know what kind of figs you have, but I still go out every summer and pick off the figs, peel them, and eat them out of hand. No need to wash it off, no insecticides here! Just be careful not to get the milk (white tree sap) on your hands or arms, since it usually itches or stings terribly...and it is very sticky and hard to wash off!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2012 11:00:30 PM PDT
In reply to your query...all of my Daddy's fig trees have thin skins, that you can eat right along with the figs. I just happen to like them peeled, but most people don't peel them, either for cooking or eating right off the tree. No, they DON'T have to be cooked! They are a fruit, I think, and dee-licious!

Posted on Jul 17, 2012 5:49:55 AM PDT
Nic says:
Try figs and prosciutto, it is a popular appetizer in Italy, like cantaloup and prosciutto.

Posted on Jul 17, 2012 8:26:04 AM PDT
S. Angelo says:
My neighbor last year gave me figs from her tree and I made Fig & Cranberry Chutney and it was delicious.

Rated 4 stars out of 5
Total Time: 3 hr 0 min
Prep: 15 min
Inactive: 2 hr 0 min
Cook: 45 min
Yield: about 2 1/2 pints

Ingredients
* 2 1/2 cups red wine vinegar
* 1/2 pound light brown sugar
* 1 onion, chopped
* 3 teaspoons ground ginger
* 1 1/2 teaspoons yellow ground mustard
* 1/4 teaspoon lemon, zest
* 1/2 cinnamon stick
* 1 3/4 teaspoons sea salt
* 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
* 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
* 1 1/4 pounds firm, slightly underripe fresh figs, rinsed, stems removed and halved
* ½ cup golden raisins
* ½ cup cranberries

Directions
In a large saucepan combine the vinegar, sugar, onion, ginger, mustard seeds, lemon zest, cinnamon stick, salt, allspice, and cloves and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until mixture is thickened and reduced by 2/3, forming a thick syrup. Add the figs , raisins and cranberries and cook gently until the figs are very soft and beginning to fall apart and most of the liquid they've given off has evaporated, about 30 minutes.
Transfer the chutney to a non-reactive container and allow to come to room temperature before serving. The chutney may be made up to 3 weeks in advance and stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container. (Alternately, hot chutney may be ladled into hot sterilized canning jars and processed in a hot-water bath according to manufacturer's directions.)

Posted on Jul 17, 2012 9:00:29 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 17, 2012 9:01:59 AM PDT
Nik says:
Figs and caramel? Ontop of ice cream? Or how about Tish Boyles fantastic, out of this world, Fig Marsala cake from her cake book. You may need to put the ripe figs in a slow oven, 200 F, for a couple of hours until they are dehydrated - the day before, then soak them in the marsala. When done correctly, holy moly!

Posted on Jul 18, 2012 11:20:34 AM PDT
Maggie Mae says:
Try making a preserve with strawberry jello. It makes a wonderful jam that tastes like strawberry jam (recipe is on line), just in cse you need a change from the figs. Figs are best when they start to lean a little on the stem. That means that the fruit is heavy and ripe. I sut off the stems and peel a little. I also cut the red eye on the bottom since it draws flies and ants. Figs are my favorite fruit.

Posted on Jul 18, 2012 2:09:12 PM PDT
Figs are one of my very favorite fillings for pastries and breads. For breads, use any sweet dough bread recipe and just add chopped figs into the dough. For pastries, here's a simple recipe for preparing the fig filling: http://www.ifood.tv/recipe/fig_filling_2

Posted on Jul 18, 2012 2:36:26 PM PDT
F. Rupley says:
I can't get enough of big ripe purple figs in the season! Besides snacking on them, I make lots of fig jam to eat, bake with, and give as gifts, and also dry them fo a sweet chewy treat.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2012 3:52:00 PM PDT
kindle lover says:
This is my favorite way also. Love it when I can find the small figs and can preserve them whole. Nothing better on a good hot buttered biscuit.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2012 6:05:54 PM PDT
I like sliced figs on a cracker or in a sandwich with brie cheese, prosciutto and honey.

Posted on Jul 19, 2012 11:31:14 AM PDT
DisplacedMic says:
i keep seeing this thread pop up in my email and think about my figs that are almost ripe ... i swear if the birds get to them before I do i'm going to go ballistic.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2012 4:58:56 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 19, 2012 5:01:30 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2012 7:01:18 PM PDT
NOTE: You may want to check "One Green World's" website or catalog. They sell several kinds of fig trees and have pictures of the fruit of the various kinds. Some are better than others for certain uses. Also contains hints on cultivation, etc.

*Fresh figs are the food of the gods.

*I have two trees, both are "Negronne", which is a smallish tree with large, brown/maroon fruit when ripe. It bears two crops a summer (some varieties only bear one).
*Figs dry easily in a food dehydrator; be careful they don't dry too much, they should still be leathery but pliable. Here in the Southwest I just leave them out on a clean cloth on the dining room table until they shrink to about 25-30% of their original size.

We eat almost all ours fresh, not withstanding many plans for fig preserves, fig cookies, etc. We just can't resist them.

Posted on Aug 29, 2012 9:56:46 AM PDT
widowTink says:
FIGGY UPDATE: My tree is producing nicely, I've been eating figs off the tree for maybe two weeks now. I thought they would never ripen! Last week I put up my very first attempt at home canning - candied jalapenos. Now I know how to put up preserves. I have this recipe, but need help!

It calls for 2 1/2 lbs (or 1.1 kg) ripe figs. HOW MANY FIGS IS THAT? I don't have anything to weigh fresh fruit. How many figs would be in a pound? They are a little larger than golf-ball size (we live on a golf course).

And the Sugar: 2 1/4 lbs (or 1 kg) of sugar. HOW MANY CUPS IS THAT? I wish recipes would use easy-to-understand measurements.

Hope you've all had a nice summer! *tink*
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Cooking forum (848 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  31
Total posts:  47
Initial post:  May 3, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 29, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions