Facility Spring Cleaning Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Grocery Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now May4th
Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

HELP.. w/ buying a GOOD smoothie maker

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 57 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2008 6:59:23 PM PDT
I have been using the Vita-Mix for about 3yrs. It is absolutely the best. I make fruit or veggie smoothies, soups, sorbe's & ice-cream. For example, it allows you to use [say] a 1/4 of an apple, in a smoothie recipe, while receiving the benefits of vitamins and phytochemicals equal to eating (chewing) a whole apple!!! Because it pulverizes the apple and opens its cells, it helps your body absorb the nutrients better than the act of eating the apple. I hope this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 22, 2008 3:17:58 PM PDT
Sarahtea says:
The best blender blades (for crushing ice) are the ones that come with a glass blender. I don't know brands (other than I've always liked oster; but I haven't tried anything else in glass). The plastic pitcher blenders always have cheap blades to go with. My oster can chop ice tiny, but you do have to have enough liquid in it (not dry); and if the ice ever gets stuck, I stir it and add a little more liquid. The end result can be very thick if you get the amount of liquid just right.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2008 3:26:32 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 25, 2008 3:27:34 PM PDT
The Breville Ikon. We got it as a wedding gift and my husband makes smoothies in it every morning. He puts the stuff in the blender, pushes a button that says "smoothie", and leaves to go finish getting ready for work. About two minutes later, the smoothie is perfectly blended and ready to go. Amazing!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2008 3:32:20 PM PDT
Estelle Weyl says:
I just use my inexpensive $15.00 blender on "ice crush". Works just fine.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2008 4:54:28 PM PDT
Emma J says:
Vita Mix or Tribest. I wouldn't bother with Oster, Hamilton Beach, or any standard blender - I've spent upwards of $100 for blenders that don't perform discernibly better than a $15 model. Vita Mix is BY FAR the best, no comparison. But it isn't cheap. The Tribest Personal Blender also does an excellent job, and is far less costly (@$65?), and comes with a grinding blade as well, which is great for grinding flax seed, spices, chocolate, etc. It's also very portable, though it processes much smaller quantities - but it's VASTLY better than any standard blender. The Magic Bullet looks to be much like the Tribest, at much less cost, but I haven't used it, personally, a so I don't know how it performs. Anyway, I own both the Tribest & Vita Mix, and I used the Tribest almost exclusively for smoothies for me when I lived alone, and the Vita Mix almost exclusively for smoothies for my boyfriend & me. If I were rating pure, smooth, even, crushing power & blending for a smoothie, I'd probably rate the Tribest just a bit higher than the Vita Mix, though. In larger quantities, the Vita Mix will leave tiny chunks, unless it's run to the point where stuff starts to melt a bit. - though that may be caused by my use of a lot of big chunks of frozen fruit, and my impatience in how to load the ingredients. If you don't have a lot of money, and are only interested in processing smoothies for one or two people, you might try the Magic Bullet or Tribest and save up for the Vita Mix. I consider the Vita Mix & Tribest both essential in my kitchen, and both are much more versatile than just for smoothies - but if I had to choose one, it would definitely be the Vita Mix. Hope this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2008 8:40:07 PM PDT
Here's another vote for the Braun Multiquick stick blender. You do everything in container---mix and drink---and it makes short work of ice and frozen fruit. I make a nice smoothie with yogurt, milk, whey protein, & frozen blueberries or bananas, and it's ready in about 15 seconds. Then twist the blender attachment off (I have the blender attachment and also the whisk), rinse under water and put in the drainer. It really couldn't be easier.

Good luck in your search!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2008 9:42:59 AM PDT
L. Painchaud says:
I agree. The Vitamix is awesome.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2008 11:50:17 PM PDT
V. Breland says:
I agree! I bought this for my husband, and it leaks into the motor, no matter how you try to adjust the rubber piece that fits between the blender and the blade. You have to constantly stop and push the contents of the smoothie back down towards the blender.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2008 9:32:03 AM PDT
I have a wonderful Cuisinart blender/food processor that makes the best smoothies...
I make frozen berries/ banana's and a smoothie mix with one cup of milk ...I add the ice in between the fruit and the milk...it chops the ice just as fine as I want it...
I love my cuisinart and would replace it with the same if need be...

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2008 11:06:42 AM PDT
Starfish says:
Target, Either Black and Decker, or one of those brands has a wave motion blender 10 speeds, low and high, that crushes ice for your smootie. It is only 30- or 30 dollars, and works like a charm. Makes great smoothies, and pulverizes carrots for soup.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2008 12:48:43 PM PDT
J. S. Conger says:
I bought a Bella Cucina Rocket. Under $50 and does a great job.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2008 2:22:07 PM PDT
S. Kessler says:
Janesum:

Last summer I bought an Oster Professional for making frozen drinks and smoothies, having been using it constantly for a year, and I absolutely love it. It is a basic blender with only 2 speeds (on and pulse), but with a powerful motor. It handles ice and frozen fruit to make a smoothie (I add yogurt, a little milk, and honey) in just 15 to 30 seconds. Unlike the KitchenAid which it replaced, it leaves not unblended chunks of banana or ice. Everything is smooth as silk. Great for margaritas, too. I use whole fruits, no peelings (except bananas and pineapple, of course), and since everything comes out so smooth and creamy, I get lots of healthy fiber into my diet. Best of all, it's only $73.00 on Amazon. It also looks nice, with a matte-black behive base and large glass jar. I highly recommend it.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2008 2:16:43 PM PDT
I bought an older model vitamix on ebay and used it for awhile. I was not overly impressed. I did alot of research before buying a new blender recently.
if you research blenders online you will see comparisions between the two best blenders on the market vitamix and Blendtec. Both are used by the commercial smoothie companies Jamba Juice,Starbucks,etc. The Blendtec almost always was the winner in head to head comparision. I bought the Blendtec total blender and it is amazing.It is virtually the same machine the pros use. Its expensive but less than Vitamix.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2008 10:43:16 AM PDT
M. Snow says:
I have a kitchenaid that I make smoothies in twice a day (frozen/fresh fruit, ice, yogurt, milk/juice, honey). Have had it for about 4 years and it works great. Always smooth and never lumpy. I have no complaints about it though honestly I've always thought if it dies I would check out a blendtec. It is a 3 HP blender. You can see it in action at www.willitblend.com. They have movies of it blending golf balls, iphone, and all other sorts of stuff you would never do but it shreds them. I've read some reviews on them and the only complaint seems to be is that it is loud. So if noise isn't a problem for you maybe it's what you are looking for.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2008 6:34:46 PM PDT
V. Maxey says:
I'm sincerely surprised that no one has mentioned the BlendTec blender. This thing is a real work horse, and the most comparable to a VitaMix blender. I wouldn't give my BlendTec up for anything. It crushes ice, makes fantastic smoothies (that are actually smooth), ice cream, crushed ice, nut milks, and nut butters. It's just amazing, and can handle anything you throw at it. Take a look at their website, http://www.blendtec.com/products.aspx?catagory=1 for product information about this blender. Also, there's a website out there at puts the BlendTec to the test. Check out http://www.willitblend.com/ and watch how amazing, if impractical, some of these blends are.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2008 6:37:07 PM PDT
BlendTec home - the best

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2008 8:07:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 3, 2008 8:12:36 PM PDT
CML says:
I give yet another vote for the Vitamix. When my friend first told me about the blender she bought for almost $400 (a vitamix), I thought she was crazy. But then I saw it during a demonstration at Costco, and was immediately sold on it. It is the machine used in commercial settings, Jamba Juice and Coffee Bean being just two examples, so it makes the perfect smoothies. You can throw apples in with stem, seeds and all, and the machine will turn it into a smooth, creamy smoothie. You can make fruit and veggie ice creams with it, as well as cook soups and make flour (I use the regular container to do this) and peanut butter. I use it mostly for smoothies with half veggies (spinach, cucumbers, carrots, celery, broccoli) and the other half frozen tropical fruit, which are the easiest way for me to smuggle lots of veggies into my son's diet without him knowing. It comes with a 2 HP motor, so it can handle pretty much anything. It's also super-easy to clean. This machine is well worth every penny, it is probably the only kitchen appliance I have ever had that is being used every single day.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2008 1:02:59 PM PDT
D. Sykes says:
I also vote for the BlendTec, and was surprised it didn't come up earlier. I did a good bit of research, and this guy does everything the VitaMix does, plus it fits under the upper cabinets when it sits on the counter, unlike the VtiaMix, which is too tall.

BTW, this is the blender they use at Jamba Juice.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2008 10:22:58 AM PDT
F. Fischer says:
The cheapest and most convenient smoothie maker that actually works is by far the Hamilton Beach 51101 Single-Serve Blender with Travel Lid. I bought one at Walmart for $11 and some change. The nice thing about it is once you make your smoothie, you can take the container with you. It comes with 2 lids, one of which is a travel lid. I'm not sure why it has 2 lids and I make my smoothies with the travel lid on the container. The container fits in most auto cup holders and is easy to clean. They say the container is 16 oz, but I think it holds more like 20 oz, a good size for me. Although it's not the most powerful machine out there (175 watts) it does the job. Just make sure you always put the liquids in first, then semi-liquids, then frozen fruit or ice. I personally prefer frozen fruit. I just checked Amazon and they're offering this machine for $16.99, but for some reason it's not yet available. Try Walmart. btw....I also have a VitaMix 3600, one of the old stainless steel models. I've had it for over 30 years and like others have said here, it's the best. But if you want something that is cheap and convenient, go for the Hamilton Beach. For the price it's worth a shot.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2008 3:27:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 6, 2008 3:32:42 PM PDT
I love the "Back to Basics" "Smoothie Elite" It is the best. It crushes the ice perfectly and has a stirring stick to help stir the contents while you blend it. It also has a dispenser if you choose to use it. I make smoothies up to 3 times a day and this machine cannot be beat. Do not get any other machine except the "Elite" you will be disappointed, as I was when I finally wore out my first "Elite". You will never worry about ice chunks again. It is also very affordable.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2008 7:16:39 PM PDT
naturist says:
Count me as one more long term satisfied Vita Mix user.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2008 1:47:58 PM PDT
doctorgonzo says:
Braun MX2050...hands down the best blender for the money. Handles smoothies with aplomb!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2008 1:50:20 PM PDT
doctorgonzo says:
Oh, I also echo "Oana's" point, my Braun Multi-quick hand mixer's blender attachment works like gangbusters too.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2008 3:41:02 PM PDT
M. Burkee says:
I would recommend the Back to Basics smoothie maker. We use this nearly every day and have had it for over a year and we are just as pleased today as the day we brought it home. You can convert it to a blender, it has a dispenser for Smoothies (so nice!) and it crushes ice great.

We've used blenders in the past and it comes out chunky, but this baby makes everything come out so smooth! It's not very expensive either, which had us hesitate at first, but wow, it's amazing.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2008 5:58:01 PM PDT
Noodle says:
Vita-Mix all the way. I make smoothies in mine every morning. Best blender EVER.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Cooking forum (874 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  54
Total posts:  57
Initial post:  Jun 28, 2008
Latest post:  Mar 4, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions