Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

Pressure Cookers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 170 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2012 4:42:09 PM PDT
M. Mayoworth says:
Anita,
I am awaiting an answer from Goodman's to see if they found one that will be compatible with mine (included my ring in the package). They said they have lots of them in all sizes, and so, we will see. I will definitely order a few (and one for you!)...if they are successful. You are brave to contact Cuisinart. I may still write them as well... Talk to you in a future post. best, Merri

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2012 6:22:27 PM PDT
ParrotSlave says:
Thanks, Mattie: I called Zabars, and they actually had an Innova gasket in stock. It should be arriving in a couple of days. If it's really and truly the right one, I'll have to remove all the different pressure cookers from my Amazon wish list. I had spent quite some time comparing and contrasting, and still hadn't made up my mind which one to get. That'll save me at least a hundred bucks.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2012 7:53:17 PM PDT
Mattie says:
I have what my husband calls "kitchen by Zabars", when I was working up in NYC for several years that was where you could find me on my days off, I put together my pretty much dream kitchen, equiptment wise from that store. I haven't been able to get back for the past 2 years now but it is always my first stop whenever I am back up at home in NYC.
I was pretty sure they would have one lying around somewhere in the store but you never know, I'm very happy to know they had what you needed. My next suggestion would have been for you to contact Guidrys Hardware Store in Lafayette, LA, they've been there forever and seem to have things in the place that haven't been made in decades!

Posted on Apr 24, 2012 12:16:19 PM PDT
Online Buyer says:
Another Pressure Cooker Woe....

I work full time so I wanted to add a pressure cooker to my food prep tools. I ordered one from a shopping channel. When they show them on QVC & HSN, they rave about how little time it takes to cook a roast or whatever. What they fail to tell you is the amount of time it takes for the cooker to build pressure and release pressure. That adds about an hour to the 7 minutes they "claim" it takes to cook something. Mine went back. I was so dissapointed. At least I have my crock pot!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2012 12:27:11 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 19, 2014 7:05:43 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2012 12:29:41 PM PDT
Many things take very little time to come to pressure. Cooking vegetables is very fast. Beets? Large ones 15-18 minutes. I recommend getting a book about pressure cooking or reading online to maximize the use of it. Also most recipes call for releasing pressure with the valve. That takes about 90 seconds. Should you wait for natural pressure. (which some recipes call for) it takes about 10-14 mins. I use my pressure cooker multiple times a week. Its really nice to toss FROZEN chicken with bone or without, a cup of chicken stock, some large onion chunks and a good scoop of salsa. Pressure cook for 4 mins and there you have it...a nice shredded chicken for a salad, or tacos. The book that really helped me was Pressure Perfect by Lorna Sass. This book has charts for nearly every type of food that benefits from pressure cooking. VERY useful! Now I just use those and make up my own recipes.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2012 6:22:23 AM PDT
Just Peachy says:
I just bought my first pressuer cooker this week. I cooked a pork roast last night. Total time was about 1 hour -- heat up took less than 10 minutes, cooked for 40 minutes, and 10 minutes cool down. If it is taking an hour for your cooker to build up pressure you need to make sure you are locking the lid before you turn up the heat. I keep seeing complaints by people who think they should turn up the heat and lock the lid AFTER it has built up pressure.

I got this set Fagor Duo Combi 5-Piece Pressure Cooker Set based on recommendations from Miss Vickie's website. It is made in China now but seems good quality.

Posted on May 2, 2012 12:36:14 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 19, 2014 7:05:49 PM PDT]

Posted on May 2, 2012 3:54:49 PM PDT
Just Peachy says:
I was wondering why my Fagor was dropping the pressure so quickly after I removed it from the heat. Did some searching online and found out that I was not letting it get to full pressure before I reduced the heat for cooking. The little yellow button pops up but is not at full pressure. You have to wait 30 to 120 seconds for it to be at full pressure. It will pop up further, a burst of steam will come out of the valve on top and the yellow button will have some resistance if you touch it.

Posted on Sep 14, 2012 8:58:30 AM PDT
Melody,
Did you ever get a replacement gasket for your Cuisinart? We are in the same boat, exactly.
We have been using a Demeyere 79598-2-6 ring as a replacement successfully for years, but that needs to be replaced as well due to a tear.
Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2012 11:31:04 AM PDT
M. Mayoworth says:
Sad to say, I have not found anything that will fit. I contacted a store in FL which, when I called them, they said they had a huge selection of gaskets and that if I sent the old one that they could match it up. I received the replacement only to find that it was too large. Cuisinart only makes electric ones now (I called them too...) I still hold out just a small bit of hope that a defunct hardware store somewhere will have a small stock of them. Keep me posted---maybe we can get a campaign together to insist that Cuisinart manufacture (or obtain) some replacements for these wonderful pressure cookers. Best to you, Melody

Posted on Oct 10, 2012 3:18:51 PM PDT
Darkstar says:
I'm in the same predicament as Melody. I have had my Cuisinart C86-24 for many, many years and it has worked very well. I recently moved into another home with a gas cooktop (I've always had an electric stove top) and my pressure cooker no longer seals or builds up the proper pressure. My husband thinks it's the gasket. I'm not sure but was very willing to order one just to see. Unfortunately, I find out it is discontinued. I really hate to buy a new pressure cooker.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 10:00:05 AM PST
Selvin Hoyte says:
I am looking for a gasket seal to fit my 6qt Cuisinart Pressuer Cooker Steamer model number ( C86.24)
Gasket seal part number A795-98

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 10:02:47 AM PST
Selvin Hoyte says:
Do you know where i can purchase a Gasket Seal for my 6qt Cuisinart pressure Cooker Steamer .
Gasket number A795-98
Pressuer Cooker model number C86.24

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 10:09:28 AM PST
Selvin Hoyte says:
Hi Melody,
I am in the same position as you are . My Cuisinart Pressure Cooker Steamer (Model number C86.24) need a rubber gasket with part number A795-98 and i called the company who told me that the part has been discontinued . my Pressure cooker is still in perfect condition all but the seal . so what shall i do . Someone please help me find some gaskets.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 10:12:12 AM PST
Selvin Hoyte says:
I second that

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 10:22:39 AM PST
Selvin Hoyte says:
I am still looking . Cuisinart said to me , please visit the "ANTIQUE" stores and "FLE" markets. Still on luck as yet.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 10:26:58 AM PST
Selvin Hoyte says:
Hi Melody,
At present , i am looking sor the seal in EUROPE. maybe i might hit the jack-pot.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 5:53:44 PM PST
Mrhajordan says:
Hi selvin can'n fine any gasket for the cuisinart our the demeyere look all over nottinghan ----notcher,

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 2:16:29 AM PST
Selvin Hoyte says:
ok, thanks. Will have to try CANADA .

Posted on Feb 5, 2013 7:16:34 AM PST
AM says:
I'm having the same problem with the Cuisinart C86-24...actually put one in that really didn't fit properly...it made a seal, but too good of a seal and I'm not sure I'm going to get the top off now. Unfortunately, the outlook seems bleak that a gasket will turn up after reaading the posts here. Hope someone finds one somewhere....

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2013 3:46:55 PM PST
Selvin Hoyte says:
In order to get the pressure cooker open in a case like that . You simply turn the cooker over and pour some cooking oil around the seal and let it sit for a few minutes , then turn it over and remove the top .
It work for me every time .

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2013 7:30:55 PM PST
AM says:
Thank you...nice thing to know about...I got it off with slightly less finesse...but will know about your method in the future. Now if someone could magically find a replacement gasket!

Posted on Feb 6, 2013 5:15:51 AM PST
MaryAnne says:
Want you to know I belong to PC group at Yahoo that is most helpful and the group has been able to answer almost any question.
It is made up of newbies along with the more experienced ones, so you don't have to feel stupid asking a question. OT is allowed as well but it's easy enough to ignore them.

www.PressureCookerRecipes@yahoogroups.com

I forgot to mention they have a ton of recipes.

MaryAnne

> I do not think the oil is needed but could not hurt it as long as you clean it up good afterwards. Turning it upside down will most likely result in the pressure safety knob being in the safety position. You will have to turn it back to its normal position for it to open.
>
> Another cause for a stuck lid is a vapor lock or vacuum in it. If you reheat it and then shut it off after pressure is reached and do a rapid release it usually will open.
>
> The last cause is that it was not put on properly and maybe stripped.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2013 7:49:13 AM PST
I use a Fagor, which has two settings, one low and one high. I did not think that the exact PSI made that much difference. The high setting on the Fagor is 15 psi I believe, and the low setting is 8. I make rice in a bowl inside my cooker, rather than cleaning it out of the cooker itself. My brother in law made rice in his Fagor and it was fantastic. He used broth. He used the usual proportions (for white rice, one cup rice, two cups water), and think that he cooked on high but not sure how long.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  47
Total posts:  170
Initial post:  Jul 16, 2010
Latest post:  20 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 25 customers

Search Customer Discussions