Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Jayhawks Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS
Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

Is it me or do few of the cookbook reviewers appear to have actually tried the recipes in the books they review

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-64 of 64 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2012 10:28:17 AM PST
Kay Shepherd says:
Agreed - about trying the recipe as written first, but I don't think everyone works like that.

I had to make a few significant changes to a recipe once due to allergies in my family...I had to leave out something and I tried to add something else that I figured would be a good substitution and it did not work out well...lol...I mean, the food tasted just fine, it just didn't form and stay in the nice patties it was supposed to. Anyway, I didn't ding the recipe as I knew I had played with it too much. Next time I will look for a recipe that doesn't contain something I will be forced to leave out like that.

Posted on Mar 2, 2012 1:37:12 PM PST
A story Chris Kimball often tells when making an appearance such as a book signing...A tester wrote a nasty review of a recipe because it was horrible...turns out the tester subbed shrimp for chicken and didn't adjust the cooking time...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2012 5:08:10 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 4, 2012 5:10:48 AM PST
Bundt Lust says:
"M. Beheler says:
Years ago, my extended family put together a cook book of favorite recipes. I was disappointed when I noticed that Aunt Rachel contributed "her" icing recipe and I recognized it as coming from the "Joy of Cooking" book she had given to me for a wedding present."

There's a really cute article on CNN at http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2011/12/28/this-family-recipes-secret-it-came-from-a-cookbook/?iref=allsearch about families who discovered their beloved "secret recipes" were, in fact, from cookbooks.

Posted on Mar 4, 2012 10:06:46 AM PST
A customer says:
All recipes have to start some place. Some recipes are so basic there is no way to copyright them. I'm thinking biscuits, standard white bread, pie crust, etc. Those are basic formulas.

As I wrote earlier, I do believe the only part of a recipe that is copyrightable is the text used to explain how to prepare a recipe. As to cookbooks, they are copyright protected as they contain a collection of recipes. See the US government copyright office for details.

As always, I am not an attorney so this is not legal advice.

Penmouse

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2012 11:43:49 AM PST
"There's a really cute article on CNN at http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2011/12/28/this-family-recipes-secret-it-came-from-a-cookbook/?iref=allsearch about families who discovered their beloved "secret recipes" were, in fact, from cookbooks."

There was once an episode on FRIENDS where one of the characters had a long-lost recipe of some ancient relative and it turned out to be "Tollhouse Cookies," only pronounced with some sort of distorting foreign accent. I was quite funny.
Reminded me of my mom, when she was exploring new recipes and ways of cooking asked one of us, "What are these 'hor-dee-or-verz?' " (hor d'oeuvres).

Posted on Mar 6, 2012 12:29:36 PM PST
M. Reynard says:
I try to make 10-20% of the recipes before reviewing a cookbook. And those 10-20% of recipes I try to spread out for all the chapters so every area gets represented. And if that cookbook has more than 100 recipes in it it can obviously take me quite awhile. As such I think I've only reviewed maybe 5 or so cookbooks to date as a result. But I feel good reviewing them that way and that's how I like to read reviews, people who've actually tried it. (I do the same with my Vine reviews too :-)

Posted on Mar 6, 2012 8:27:15 PM PST
I attempted Martha Stewarts marzipan bees that are in her cupcake book using fondant and they are really difficult to make. I have never used marzipan, so I don't know if it's easier to work with than fondant, but the bees are just too piecy. I won't make things to give to people not knowing if they will be in one piece when the people get them. I am too much of a perfectionist for that. Anyway, her bees are one thing in that book that I wouldn't get too excited about.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2012 5:32:26 PM PST
angiedanin - I think that's a great point and realized I don't comment on the actual recipes enough in my cookbook reviews, although I do make sure to skim every recipe, and try at least 4 of them before reviewing. I'm currently reviewing three cookbooks (Bittman's, Pioneer Woman, and Giada's), and will make sure to try several of the recipes from each before adding reviews, as well as updating them over time as I try more). Thanks for the discussion!

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 8:58:28 AM PST
I've noticed people write cookbook reviews talking about how pretty the cookbook looks or how good the recipes sound. To me it's more helpful if they actually try a recipe or two (I try for three). At first glance the book might look fine, or lousy, but after a few recipes one can learn if the portion size is close, the cooking times, how easy the recipe actually is to follow.

I was initially turned off by the new Jamie Oliver cookbooks because the layout made it look hard, switching back and forth in the directions for each component of the meal, but after cooking from it I found it easy to ignore the part of the menu I might not be making.

With Kiss my Bundt, I wasn't all that impressed at first, thin book, no pictures, but every recipe I've tried from it has been a total winner. So I tend to give more weight to reviews that the person has actually tried some recipes.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2012 7:04:52 PM PDT
I've now made a rule that I'll try at least 10% of the recipes from a book before reviewing it. I tried to focus more on the recipes in my latest review of How to Cook Everything The Basics: All You Need to Make Great Food -- With 1,000 Photos, but it's more of a technique book so the focus isn't about the recipes as much. But I do agree that it's important to try a lot of the recipes first and I'm going to go back and edit old reviews to do just that. Thanks for the suggestions.

Posted on Jul 23, 2013 11:07:35 AM PDT
I've just published a recipe collection in a Kindle eBook. I am a novice cookbook author (although I have quite a bit of writing experience) and I'm wondering if anyone on this forum can advise me on how to reach people who review cookbooks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2013 6:42:45 PM PDT
U. Nwabuoku says:
Are you still writing cookbooks? If so,could you kindly let us know the titles available?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2013 6:44:43 PM PDT
U. Nwabuoku says:
Hi Grandma,please what is your blog's name? Are you finally back to posting?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2013 10:01:46 PM PDT
I just published my first cookbook. If it sells I'll write some more.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Cooking forum (874 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  27
Total posts:  64
Initial post:  Jan 30, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 25, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions