Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

Keurig K-cup coffee maker advice...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 97 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2012 5:19:31 PM PDT
H. Yap says:
pop out the k-cup holder and wash it out.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 9:23:19 AM PDT
amanot says:
I have used kcups since their inception. I have tried every brand/type that exists. I have had a couple machines fail and I just toss them and buy another until I figured out that perfect water is required. That means bottled for me as I don't have time to mess with filtering. My favorite coffee is depending on my hangover... Newmans (yes) or Jet Fuel (wow!) and of course Wake Up Call (get ready to jitter).

Office:

In my small office, everyone has their own machine. Mine is on my desk side table. I use only bottled water and get about three cups per bottle. I toss my used kcups and the water in the trash can. I have brought in a case of water about once a month or so. I keep tons of kcups and the water in a locked drawer. Sometimes we trade or share kcups but mostly anyone who uses my machine is in danger of either losing their job or losing me.

Frankly unless the office is devoid of the usual suspects i.e. sloppy Charlie, too much fragrance Emily, dirty Harry etc then the kcup scenario is not sustainable.

But for home or a controlled remote situation, the kcup is the best invention since sliced bread!

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2012 1:50:56 PM PDT
Morgaine says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2012 2:37:30 PM PDT
I too have the Platinum. I bought my mom the Cuisinart one, which she loves. If I had to repurchase, I'd still choose the Keurig Platinum. The reason? Their warranty is pretty good. They quickly replaced my first brewer when the water line detached.

After taking the busted brewer apart (I am a geek), it just didn't look very rugged. But the reason it broke was most likely that I went through a period of banging the machine pretty hard to remove air bubbles in the lines. Except there were no air bubbles in the lines. The needle was clogged, which is easily fixed with a paperclip and is recommended by Keurig. So, I needlessly and dutifully battered my coffeemaker for about thirty days, and the water line detached. Had I unclogged the needle instead, I'm pretty sure I'd have the same machine today. Also, I believe Keurig has updated the needle so it clogs far less frequently. I haven't had to paper-clip the replacement brewer in the six months that I've owned it.

The main reason I'd choose the Keurig machine again was that they really do stand behind their product. They shipped me a replacement in two days. The only thing I had to do was mail Keurig the black basket that holds the K-Cups inside the brewer. It's small and fits in a standard padded envelope. They give you 30 days to send it back to them. I was so relieved that I wasn't gonna have to ship that heavy & battered Keurig back to them!

Keurig does sell commercial brewers for not much more money than the consumer models. They're a lot sturdier than the home brewers, and have the same warranty. Either way, you're all gonna love that awesome machine; no more scorched coffee smell in the office!

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2012 3:27:12 PM PDT
I love GM Dark Magic and so does anyone who has ever made themselves a cup of coffee in my kitchen. I used to think people chose the Dark Magic from my selection because of the name which may be true the first time they're choosing. It's dark, smooth and nearly chocolate-y.

Second is Caribou Mahogany, which has a semi-complex flavor profile without being weird-tasting.

Coffee People used to have a decaf French roast that was so deeeelicious that I didn't mind that I was drinking decaf.

Tully's Italian Roast is consistently flavorful also.

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2012 3:31:00 PM PDT
Pat Corcoran says:
I have the Platinum model and love it. I had one at work for over a year and then purchased one for my home. The benefits are the varieties of flavors. They can choose dark or light roast, hot chocolate, or hot apple cider. Yes you will have to fill up the water tank after so many cups, (varies on size), but so much faster than washing the pot and waiting for the coffee to brew. People love it and are willing to contribute to the coffee fund, especially when they can pick their choice, even those that don't drink coffee. There is also a dark hot chocolate, which is awesome. It's fun too!

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2012 5:05:14 PM PDT
Morgaine says:
Also, I recently was introduced to San Francisco Bay Coffee One Cup for Keurig K-Cup Brewers, Fog Chaser, 36-Count, it's a *little* less wasteful than the traditional k-cups with the same convenience. They have other flavors, this is just the bold one that I adore. Rather than an entire k-cup, the bottom half is a sturdy filter, and they are much less $$ than the full k's.

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2012 8:47:18 PM PDT
I bought my first one about 06' while a did a small stint at Macy's. I still have it and bought the same for my #2 daughter they both still work. Mine is at work. I have bought 3 platinium for my 2 girls and myself. To save money we use the attachments, I have tried different ones and all work nicely. We turn them off when not in use. ( we all dogs at home, we turn off all coffeemakers) I think that may be the trouble with some that are left on. With the older one it will not drip if I leave it one to long. After I turn off for awhile it works. We also have the bigger machines ones our patients at the clinic to drink various types of beverages while waiting. I'm happy with our Keurigs. So far my favorite coffee is the Paul Newman.

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2012 6:14:28 PM PDT
bottled water isn't better than tap water when it comes to preserving the life of the keurig, appliances using water need distilled water, bottled still has minerals that build up and cause problems

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2012 7:49:41 PM PDT
Becky, I'm gonna guess you don't live in California. The water here is awful. I could see mineral solids on my faucets building up daily until I put in a purification system. The water is astoundingly hard here. (It also never runs super-cold like it did back east.)
Is distilled better for small appliances? Yes, but since you're drinking it, it'll taste better if you use filtered or bottled water. Bottled waters have minerals added to improve the taste. I use distilled in my humidifier.

Another good appliance to use distilled water in is the microwave, but only if you love explosions. =D

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2012 8:50:02 PM PDT
Morgaine says:
I live in California and I can tell you bottled water, most often, is tap water that has minerals added to it. Filtered water from the fridge or distilled will remove some of the build up stuff.

The ground water is colder back east, I grew up in NJ, so of course it comes to the tap much colder.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 4:55:26 AM PDT
Morgaine,

I love the San Francisco Bay One Cups too! I love that they worked around the pressurized cup, and that it has less plastic.

I was not advocating bottled water so much as I was trying to say that distilled water doesn't taste that good to most people and may not produce a good cup of coffee. I also love to tell anyone who'll listen how terrible LA water is.

I suspect that the ambient temperature of the air (as it travels from the reservoir and treatment plant) is what determines the water temperature from your faucet. A lot of groundwater is at a depth where it is not effected by cold or hot weather and because it is well insulated is not too cold, nor too hot (Like the air used in heat pumps).

Posted on May 10, 2012 7:50:19 AM PDT
I have always filtered (Brita/Pur) tap water and have never had a problem

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 6:01:42 PM PDT
Morgaine says:
Miss Betsey: Yes it makes sense that the thermal mass of the earth prevents the water from being affected by hot or cold weather.

I've never used distilled water but you're right in partly what makes water more palatable is minerals, I use the filtered from my fridge and haven't yet had a problem.

Those San Francisco Bay cups are so delicious, local, cost less and waste a little less and brew it stronger :)

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 8:07:21 PM PDT
peggy says:
I received mine for Christmas. I love it because I only drink two cups of coffee per day. I do "double punch" the k-cup, because most of the brands out there are either "bold" or "medium" blend of some sort. I also like a large cup of coffee so when I add the cream and sugar I don't have tojump up and run get another cup of coffee 10 minutes after I open my eyes. I have had no problems making a large cup, curst using the large portion and the second time using the small portion. It has not slowed down the water running through the machine or hampered the operation in any way. I finally found a "medium" brew brand that is really nice, it's made by Grove Square. I found this one at Wal-Mart for $10.77 a box of 18.

I did a comparision cost analysis for my coffee consumption and discovered I was spending less money with the Keurig than with brewing coffee with my standard coffee maker. It seems the regular brewing was costing about $1.34 per day for me (for 2 cups) and the Keurig is costing me $1.22 per day (for 2 cups). It may not seem like much but every penny counts, as they say! AND I don't have to buy the filters and don't have to wash the coffee pot every day! AND if I look carefully I can order online and get the Keurig coffee cheaper than Wal-Mart if I order in large quantities. I agree that if you are looking for something for an office it would be to your advantage to purchase a commercial version of the machine.

Posted on Jul 4, 2012 8:52:39 PM PDT
I am on my second Platinum Keurig in 3 years. I threw away the second and final one today. I love the keurig, but it is not worth the money. They only last a year and 1/2. I may use to it 3 times a week. Just doesn't make sense that they don't last longer. I will not buy their coffee makers again...very dissapointed

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2012 11:14:26 PM PDT
DK says:
You threw away a $180 item? Did you contact Keurig's customer service for help? They are very responsive to customer needs.

Posted on Jul 5, 2012 9:08:00 AM PDT
luv shoes says:
@Debbie, another idea is to buy from Costco or Kohls where you can take anything back, or join Green Mountain Coffee club where they off a free warranty on all K cup machines, regardless of where you purchased.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2012 11:54:53 AM PDT
sisssissy says:
I agree! I had to replace the first one I bought 2 times withing 3 months. It was a pain to have to ship 2 of them. I only drink one cup a day at most. I had this last one for about a year and a half and it just completely died! No power or anything! I will not be buying this product again!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2012 7:44:04 AM PDT
hoosier65 says:
To me Green Mountain puts out the smoothest best tasting cup of coffee ever!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2012 10:19:34 AM PDT
Black Silk by Folger

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 5:47:34 AM PST
C. Ambrosino says:
I am on my 3rd K brewer. They last a year or less under daily use. I just got the new version, and it is 2 weeks old and stopped pumping! I am just taking it back at this point and going to use a regular pot again. Waist of money all the way around!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 8:55:25 AM PST
Mumsy says:
I have been somewhat surprised to hear that people are having problems with their Keurig brewers, to the point that the product is returned and replaced, etc. I received my Keurig coffee maker as a gift on Christmas 2009, I use it daily (approx 3 times a day), and I have not had any problems with it at all. When this coffee maker finally dies, I'll just go out and replace it; I am very happy with it, love the coffee and tea it makes, and find it so convenient when others stop over for coffee.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 9:36:44 AM PST
I'm on my second, it was replaced free after the first one died 11 months in. I think if this one goes we'll go back to our drip though everyday.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 12:14:07 PM PST
What model do you have? I want to get a reliable one.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Cooking forum (843 discussions)

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  52
Total posts:  97
Initial post:  Feb 9, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 8, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers

Search Customer Discussions