Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

Appliances not made in China

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 876-900 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2012 4:43:53 AM PDT
MacGuffin says:
Good for you! I LOVE cast iron and am glad someone who'll also love it gave this orphan a home. Some of my cast iron skillets are well over 100 years old (the others are youngsters of 40 or so).

Posted on Jun 30, 2012 5:01:29 AM PDT
Along these lines, lately I have been wondering about the pharmaceuticals and vitamins we swallow. They mostly come from China too. (Shiver, shiver.)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2012 6:49:30 AM PDT
yes...I have been doing this for years...but when you have no choices and in a bind it may become necessary to go to garage sales or flea markets...

Posted on Jul 1, 2012 7:35:57 AM PDT
If you are looking for cookery, go to Sur le Table and their Emile Henri is from France and can be bought at a good price during their summer sales!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2012 7:42:16 AM PDT
MacGuffin says:
Sur la Table has quite a few nice products that are made here and in Europe. I much prefer them to Williams-Sonoma. I find their help--at least here in NYC--much friendlier and more knowledgeable as well.

Posted on Jul 1, 2012 2:30:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 1, 2012 2:31:27 PM PDT
M. PFAUTZ says:
I bought my SaladMaster waterless cookware set in 1965 when I was in college and have used it continuously since. Best investment I ever made. The stainless steel is still shiny and none of the handles have ever broken. Back then the set was $189. Today??
The Saladmaster cookware has been made in America since 1946 from American and Swiss steel -- and still is!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2012 5:48:08 PM PDT
This is absolutely true. What really surprised me was back about 5 years ago I purchased a VERY high tech item... an Alesis Masterlink 9600 master disc CD recorder, a recorder that is used by the major recording studios ready to be rack mounted. When I recieved it through the mail, I found out it was made by the Chicoms... and at over $1,500 at the time it wasn't cheap! I haven't had any problems with it. However this is the ONLY example I've seen where a Chicom product was made well.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2012 6:11:19 PM PDT
MacGuffin says:
It's insanely expensive now although to be fair, they've added titanium to their stainless steel. If I could afford it, that's what I'd buy--I like the little indicator that tells you when the temperature's optimal.

Posted on Jul 3, 2012 1:32:05 AM PDT
Azap says:
3months ago i purchased a delonghi stainless toaster,the unit was a high end model from an Italian company but made in china,needless to say one of the LED indicator lights is already burned out. just another piece of chinese ##@%.

Posted on Jul 3, 2012 2:00:54 AM PDT
T. Harris says:
Does anyone know where to buy quality, non-Chinese 220 volts appliances (for use overseas) online?
Via Amazon or otherwise?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2012 3:30:21 AM PDT
MacGuffin says:
I have an ancient (okay, 20+ years old) DeLonghi toaster oven that looks pretty awful now but that I refuse to replace because it still works. Needless to say, it's made in Italy.

Posted on Jul 3, 2012 9:11:01 AM PDT
THarris, I'm guessing, but only guessing, that you might find such an appliance if you went on the Amazon, U.K website.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2012 10:02:21 AM PDT
I believe Vita Mix blenders are made in USAVitamix 1782 TurboBlend, 2 Speed for example.

I bought mine in 1985, love it, has never needed repair, and I can easily get replacements for the rubber gasket for lid. They even sell reconstituted blenders that they fix up themselves!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2012 6:04:34 PM PDT
KS Granny says:
There is another side to this, besides low quality materials and toxic ingredients. That is the extremely low wages paid, which makes it attractive to US manufacturers to relocate their factories there...thus eliminating American jobs through outsourcing.
Chinese companies can do this because their government can subsidise industries they wish to promote.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2012 12:20:13 PM PDT
Carolee1945 says:
I love to cook and I have a 25 year old Cuisinart that helps me in the kitchen. The blade, however, is getting dull, and I went to Amazon to find a replacement. Several people, not just one, mentioned that the rivets that hold the blade together have hairline fractures and they blade actually was dangerous because part of it went spinning off. Okay, so please tell me what to do. 1. Do I inspect the rivets each time I use this new blade (as one reviewer suggested)? 2. Do I buy a new Cuisinart (but no guarantee those blades are good) 3. Do I give up using it altogether? After all, I cooked before I had one, but gee whiz, it is so convenient. I have no doubt that these blades are made in China. (but I have not checked) Regardless, even in the extremely unlikely event these blades were made in Canada, this makes me want to give up on buying almost anything anymore. I wonder how many people are just sick of getting shoddy goods and have given up on consumerism????

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 12:48:25 PM PDT
MacGuffin says:
Can you have your blade sharpened? Chances are very good that your Cuisinart is French or Japanese.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2012 1:10:12 PM PDT
Carolee1945 says:
Oh, wow, I never even thought of that!!! I will take it to the sharpener fellow and find out. Or probably could email him or her. This forum is so helpful.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2012 1:52:17 PM PDT
MacGuffin says:
My hunch is that this is your best bet. :) Why, after all, should you replace a well-made accessory for one that's probably not as well made?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2012 1:53:19 PM PDT
Carolee1945 says:
I just emailed the knife sharpener. Will be interesting to see if he can do it.

Posted on Jul 9, 2012 12:07:58 PM PDT
Carlgo says:
I got an expresso maker as a gift. Went off to find little cups, a tamper and a frothing pitcher not made in China. Good luck with that! Went into Macys, Williams Sonoma, Crate and Barrel and Starbucks, all in the Mall. I ended up with an expensive but beautiful French cup and saucer from S/W, and one cheap Chinese cup and saucer at C/B. Macys wanted $19 for one little cup and saucer made in freaking Bangladesh.. even the sales girls thought that was a rip . I plan on checking out some Amazon sites and maybe there is an interesting vintage set in an antique or re-sale store. Pretty sure all frothers are Chinese. The expresso maker is of course, even though it is the DeLonghi brand.

I tried, but it is just so easy for lazy marketeers to have the Chinese or the poor Bangladeshians make stuff. I'll bet a million that some Chinese company set up shop in Bangladesh and lots of others will follow them in a race to the bottom.

Posted on Jul 9, 2012 2:29:17 PM PDT
Homer Laughlin, which is made in the USA makes a wonderful 3oz espresso cup - The company calls it an "ad cup"
I have a set of 4 of them with saucers and just love them. You can find them ad www.hlchina.com

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2012 2:31:00 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 10, 2012 2:44:38 AM PDT
EquitySeeker says:
Do you recall the contaminated formula that killed hundreds of Chinese babies? And wasn't there some contaminated pet food imported to the US that caused lethal kidney damage to dogs and cats? Improperly made nuts, bolts and machine parts are scary to me because I work with tools that can be highly injurious if they fail or come apart while in use. Improperly made and contaminated building materials are not only unsafe, but can be hugely expensive to replace or remediate. It seems that when these kinds of problems happen repeatedly in products from one country (along with a notorious track record for knock-offs and fakes) a certain level of suspicion and eventually, general negative bias can be expected. Lead crystal, glazes and enamel can have unsafe levels of chemicals and minerals in their compositions, as well. If Chinese products don't meet our legal safety standards, then maybe boycotting all of their products will eventually force our government to apply the same vigilance in policing their imports as they spend in upholding standards for American manufacturing and production. That's not racism or bigotry, it's protecting the American consumer and it's what we pay taxes for, isn't it? Apparently they have to be forced to raise their standards to meet ours because we aren't going to lower our standards to meet theirs. Maybe we could address some of our unemployment difficulties by hiring more Customs Inspectors and US trained regulatory enforcement personnel to protect us. At least THAT can't be outsourced!

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 6:01:40 AM PDT
Cory Roberts says:
The ignorance in here is astounding... China can make some extremely high quality stuff. Everyone always says "stuff made in China sucks!" But where do you think every electronic is made? Apple products, as much as I don't like them, are a great example of Chinese workmanship. I also heard "half the price, half the quality." That is the furthest thing from the truth. For one, the cheapest made in china is less than half of what a US product costs, and two, if you buy something a little more than half the price of a USA made product, you can get superior or similar quality from a made in china product.

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 6:03:16 AM PDT
Cory Roberts says:
Another thing to add, Kitchen mixers are mainly made in China now, yet no one complains about the quality.

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 8:23:20 AM PDT
Cory Roberts: re "kitchen mixers" Ohhhh, yes people DO complain.

Further, should you take the time to read through this thread you will clearly see that a great number of the posts address Chinese made electronics being unreliable junk.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Cooking forum (874 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  314
Total posts:  1063
Initial post:  Dec 27, 2009
Latest post:  Dec 22, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 42 customers

Search Customer Discussions