Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

What are your favorite intriguing finds atTrader Joe's?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1126-1150 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 12:37:55 AM PDT
Trend says:
J Westwind, I don't know of anyone that sells prepared gingerbread. I love it, but I guess it's not that popular. You can find the houses online, but will still need to assemble. I'll tell you, "Bahlsen" makes really delicious gingerbread cookies. They're all soft and cake-like, but only available during the the fall and winter months. Usually, they're gone shortly after Christmas. You may want try a mix. It's easy enough to prepare and gingerbread taste great warm out of the oven... with a glass of cold milk, warm cocoa, or hot coffee, and a dollop of whipped cream.

Posted on May 3, 2012 4:58:43 PM PDT
Lucky Lady says:
Lucky Lady says; I understand Trader Joes in California, sells Nuri spicy sardines. Amazon has these Portuguese sardines, but at an exhorbitant price, which I can't afford. Does anyone know where I can get them shipped to me in New York, at a reasonable price?

Nuri Spiced Portuguese Sardines 3.16 Oz.

Posted on May 3, 2012 8:54:44 PM PDT
Carlgo says:
Got the flyer and went shopping today. It was a TJ dinner and everything was new to me and thus are intriguing finds and are reviewed as so.

Entree: The Pappardelle, chicken and pasta in mascarpone sauce. Really good, with just the right amount of sauce and not swimming in it. Recommended.

Salad: The super spinach one in a tub, comes with dressing. Lots and lots of interesting ingredients. Dressing is subtle and the whole thing is very good. An excellent fancy salad and recommended.

Beer: Their Josephsbrau, a pilsner in the Czech style. Pilsner Urquell is my fav beer. This is more like a combo of Urquell and a light brown ale, so not the very crisp pure Czech taste I expected. Still, very good. Not a hippie beer, but with good flavor and the hoppy pilsner attributes that keep it from being heavy. I like it.

Bon bons: Somebody recommended them. Good recommendation! Excellent chocolate especially.

Roasted and salted pastachios: crisp, almost all open and eatable, right amount of salt. I keep a Leatherman multi-tool handy to open the duds.

Trader Joe Highland single malt scotch: I've been drinking this as a service to the readers, like for science as they say. Since I am no scotch expert, I can report that it seems good to me. Initially, it has a spicy kick that dissipates into a complex sweetness that lingers awhile. Enjoyable to me, who has had three bottles of scotch in his life. Goes great with pastachios. Probably a rebottled well-known brand. Is a single malt, too, and 10 years old.

Well, at this point it is even better, so I had better stop writing.

Posted on May 4, 2012 12:07:28 PM PDT
K. Johnson says:
1.The $3.29 wines
2. these little chocoloate chip cookies
3. stuffed flounder with crab meat
3. tingle tree shampoo/conditioner
4. frozen orange chicken
5. chipotle hummus
6. frozen mac and cheese, mmmmm so cheesy
7. apple cider beer, taste just like wood chuck and it's cheaper

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 12:18:24 PM PDT
Topanga Rose says:
For the first time this year, I used Trader Joes wild rice. So much easier
than cooking the wild rice and dumping the water about 4 times.
I use lots of butter with garlic to saute the onions, mushrooms,
majoram, TJ's pecans, cherries, cranberries, then saturate with Marsala!
Enjoy! I'm a veggie b/c it always tastes better. Most carnivores think
we are deprived of something, but we only limit ourselves to eating
what is absolutely delicious!

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 10:34:35 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 5, 2012 10:37:09 AM PDT]

Posted on May 5, 2012 11:00:00 AM PDT
The frozen SteelCut Oatmeal is THE BEST!!! They come two to a box, in single serve shrink wrapped portions. They add a little brown sugar and maple syrup to the product but it is very subtle and not at all overly sweet. One of the best parts is that it's not the least bit "mushy" when you're done heating it in the microwave and it only takes 2-3 minutes instead of the 30 you'd need to prepare it from scratch on the stove. 100% real and really, really good!

Posted on May 5, 2012 11:51:27 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 5, 2012 11:53:13 AM PDT
A week or so before Super Bowl Sunday this year, they were sampling their "STEAMED LENTILS" mixed with their "ROASTED CORN SALSA", served with their "Organic Corn Chip Dippers" It was awesome! When I made it at home, the only change I made was to add a cup of Pace Picante sauce to it.

I recently found the following awesome items at TJ's:

Roasted Red Pepper Hummus (and their whole wheat Pita bread!)
Cilantro & Jalapeno Hummus
Chile & Onion Tortillas
Chocolate Mint Espresso Beans (eating just a few will wake you right up!)
round sesame wheat crackers (way better than Ritz!)
toasted pita chips
crushed garlic in a jar
organic bread & butter pickles (YUM!!!!!)
frozen Breakfast Scramblers (egg, onion, potatoes with seasoning, microwave for 2 1/2 mins and you have breakfast!)
Dorot frozen herb cubes~ a great way to get the flavor of fresh herbs in your cooking without wasting what you don't use
Mango Passion Granola
Vanilla Almond Granola Clusters
Strawberry Yogurt O's
unsalted, roasted Cashews
Wasabi Peas!!
Chocolate Almond Milk
Dark Chocolate Truffle Hearts (at Valentine's Day)

Posted on May 5, 2012 12:26:53 PM PDT
They have the ONLY good, natural peanut butter I can find. Ingredients: Peanuts. That's it. I love that it is safe for me and my puppy to eat.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 12:38:45 PM PDT
J. Wellman says:
If you love their lentils than you'll love this recipe:
thanks to Janis Michella for this recipe

I pkg Trader Joes cooked Lentils

1 jar Trader Joes Masala Simmer sauce

Optional:
1 package spiced soybeans and or tofu

Add:
3 to 4 diced carrots
1 box sliced mushrooms
1 to 2 diced red pepper

In separate pan saute' Italian sausage - or it could be andouille sausage ( hot or mild as you like it ) Or you can go all veggy on this.

Put in slow cooker for 2 to 3 hours or more.

Before serving add 8 oz of chopped spinach

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 7:43:21 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 5, 2012 7:48:51 PM PDT]

Posted on May 6, 2012 8:44:01 PM PDT
The chip dip I make uses the ROASTED CORN SALSA mixed with the PINEAPPLE SALSA. Sometimes add a can of black beans. Sounds like odd combinations, but really good.

Posted on May 6, 2012 10:02:55 PM PDT
Carlgo says:
The vanilla ice cream is dense and delicious, not the air-fluffed stuff you see in supposedly good brands these days. Much more like Ben and Jerry's, which is a good thing. Their take on Oreo cookies are also good. The orange marmalade turned out to be good also, despite looking like it has less rind than the premium brands. Not to worry, it is there.

Posted on May 6, 2012 10:53:45 PM PDT
Carnitas. They are so good, and I don't know of anything else that I can microwave for 3 minutes and tastes authentic and homemade. Get the carnitas!!!

We love the frozen food section. Naan and flafel, inexpensive, quick and delicious. Chinese dumplings, beef or chicken mini tacos, and flatbreads are some of our favorites.

Posted on May 7, 2012 8:11:28 AM PDT
M. Gurina says:
Coconut oil

Posted on May 7, 2012 8:27:04 AM PDT
From the frozen section, the Korean BBQ ribs cook quickly on the grill and are delicious. We always have on hand the frozen green beans, and the frozen mixed veggies in butter sauce. We love the frozen breaded tilapia for a quick dinner.

Posted on May 8, 2012 3:57:48 PM PDT
Madam B says:
Just found this forum after many years of shopping @ TJ's, LOVE it!!! So many things taken for granted and never tried. Spent $100 yesterday and so far, like the pulled pork, however I live alone so have much left over so today I put cold pulled pork on my latest passion Ridge cut potato chips with a glass of Chuck Sav blanc, & some of the new bread & butter pickles. Pretty good lunch. Maybe not the healthiest meal, but at my age I'm in it for the taste, hell my body is only going to last so long no matter what I put in it or do to it.
Now what the hell do I do with the caramel sauce? I tried it on the Meyer lemon crispy cookies, which are far from lemony enough 4 me. By the way the carponata? sauce has been discontinued here on the west coast and Chuck is still $2.
I see this forum as a place where we can help each other avoid the bad stuff, enjoy the good, and pass on novel combinations and ways to make the good better and the bad palatable.
Thank you all for your contributions, only took me three days to read them all and take notes. I hope to be able to be a helpful contributor. RIP Maurice Sendeck.

Posted on May 8, 2012 4:28:48 PM PDT
Try the Wasabi Seaweed

Posted on May 8, 2012 6:04:43 PM PDT
Madam B says:
Um... Whitney, I don't know, last time I tried seaweed and caramel sauce... but thanks for the suggestion, I'll keep trying.

Forgot to say that I'm surprised no one has mentioned the smoked salt and pepper and the South African SMOKE seasoning blend.... to die for!

Was not crazy about the mac n cheese yesterday, so added some jack n cheddar & milk and reheated it for dinner. Better, especially with the smoke seasonings. Looking forward to trying Joe Joe's tonight with a big glass of milk.

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2012 6:43:20 PM PDT
dante joy says:
Are they in the frozen section? I am pretty new to TJ's but LOVE it!

Posted on May 9, 2012 7:26:58 AM PDT
Carlgo says:
The FREE FOOD! And coffee. Doesn't matter what it is, I like it.

Posted on May 9, 2012 7:12:45 PM PDT
OMG my new favorite thing........RAISIN ROSEMARY CRISPS..........a wonderful cracker......sounded like an unusual pairing, but it works!!!!!!!!

Posted on May 10, 2012 1:47:04 PM PDT
Jo Farabee says:
Cookie Butter...looks like Peanut Butter but tastes ...uh divine!

Posted on May 10, 2012 7:45:02 PM PDT
Georgedc says:
Chocolate croissants!

maple syrup SUGAR

Posted on May 10, 2012 11:09:46 PM PDT
Carlgo says:
The potato chips fried in olive oil are good. The chicken sausage is good. They carry uncured bacon. The free range chicken has texture and flavor. It was expensive, but it made BBQ chicken, chicken salad and chicken curry. That's three meals for two people, so the price is reasonable per meal. The key lime pie is zesty and good.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Cooking forum (861 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  541
Total posts:  1318
Initial post:  Jan 9, 2010
Latest post:  Jan 29, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 78 customers

Search Customer Discussions