Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

What's your favorite non fiction cooking novel?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-106 of 106 posts in this discussion
Posted on May 25, 2012 2:56:19 AM PDT
Mdm says:
On Rue Tatin: Living and Cooking in a French Town

On Rue Tatin by Susan Loomis! Such an inspirational account of the beginnings of her life in France and the cooking she started up here. She has kept writing and has a cookery school business too....and I ended up moving to France too!!

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 7:53:06 AM PDT
M. Grotzky says:
Good choice. I have that and some of her other books and failed completely to think of it for this list. Thanks for the reminder.
Your reply to M. Grotzky's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 8:29:24 AM PDT
M. Grotzky says:
I got this when it was nearly new and really loved it and the charming illustrations. The articles in Gourmet by Lillian Langstreth Christian were similar -- one was about her father's composed salads and there was one about Balkan food. Some of these old books and articles stand out because there were so many fewer of them.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 8:58:20 AM PDT
M. Grotzky says:
I think people don't choose Fast Food Nation because they think it will be preachy or boring (or both). It's fun to read. Here are people trying out new ideas in food production and marketing -- I wanted to cheer them on -- and then there are the end results -- successful beyond their greatest dreams -- and seriously harmful in far more ways than I had guessed. I learned a lot, got a lot to think about, and was never bored.

If you want the other side, try The Pleasures of Slow Food by Corby Kummer, which is almost as much fun to read and makes moving on to a better stage of food production seem like a glorious mission for all of us.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 9:12:05 AM PDT
M. Grotzky says:
I've just reread the entire discussion. What a lot of good ideas and wonderful books. In the same vein as On Rue Tatin is At My French Table by Jane Webster. This is another family restoring another house and learning to live in France. It's also one of the prettiest food related books I've seen, and food books are knowing for being stunning. There are recipes for each season -- not many, but carefully chosen.

Another book I have loved for years is The Picnic Gourmet, by Joan Hemingway and Connie Maricich -- if you've lived long enough and been reading cookbooks most of that time, this is like a combination of fantasy and time travel. It really is a cookbook but the early part contains menus and stories, and, like Father Was a Gourmet, some very lovely dated drawings. I've cooked from this and liked the results.

Posted on May 25, 2012 5:36:24 PM PDT
H. Koon says:
You might try "Beaten, Seared, and Sauced: On Becoming a Chef at the Culinary Institute of America" by Jonathan Dixon.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Cooking forum (875 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  73
Total posts:  106
Initial post:  Jul 18, 2008
Latest post:  May 25, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 27 customers

Search Customer Discussions