Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

best kitchen gadgets in constant use

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1451-1475 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 7:39:10 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 14, 2012 9:19:01 AM PDT
You're gonna be sorry you mentioned YOGURT, P.

Miss Pony....... ball is in your court!

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 7:46:25 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 14, 2012 7:46:50 AM PDT
Ha! TOO late.
I see she is already "Johnny on the spot" with her PhD in "yogurt making techniques."
Give me a break!

(just not my arms or legs)
Miss Pony's kick packs a WALLOP..... & then she just LAUGHS while you writhe in pain searching for a double Vicodin.

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 8:17:09 AM PDT
Yep, I've given yogurt making a whirl - but that was many years ago and many times I've done the yogurt draining thing to make it Greek style but with a coupon and on sale the Chobani in quart containers is very affordable.
Have to be honest, I'm kinda sorta at a lazy period of my life. Ready made = good.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 1:16:24 PM PDT
joaniepony® says:
PF.

Just so ingrained in me ~~Penny Pinching~~~That is how I could afford all my "Kitchen Toys" that I never use!!!

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 3:53:39 PM PDT
Amanda Moore says:
My hand held can opener.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 4:02:12 PM PDT
joaniepony® says:
Amanda,
What style of hand held~~~~~~~
Swing-A-Way or Kuhn Rikon ????

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 8:03:13 PM PDT
I use THIS one, OXO Good Grips Can Opener, & it work Real Good.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 8:07:50 PM PDT
joaniepony® says:
GW,

My thumb bothers me a bit. I think Cheryl demo'd a little electric hand held.
Is there any decent electric can opener?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 8:15:39 PM PDT
When I lived in a mansion there was a built-in electric can opener.
The company stopped making them, so when it broke I decided to MOVE.

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 9:00:04 PM PDT
T. Lascari says:
I'm still looking for the "best" egg slicer. It's my most common used kitchen gadget. I go through them often. Those thin wires are useless. I've tried other kinds and they're a pain to clean or squish my eggs when slicing.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 6:42:09 AM PDT
joaniepony® says:
TL,
Great question!
I hope Cheryl, Mattie and the others see your post.

This is what my research has produced so far~~~~~~
I checked The Master Index 1993-2011 of Cook's Illustrated, and the only mention of "Egg Slicers", are for slicing things
like strawberries and mushrooms. Only one mention of "Slicer and Eggs" was a Mozzarella slicer to DICE eggs.
America's Test Kitchen, didn't find anything.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 7:00:03 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 15, 2012 7:09:05 AM PDT
joaniepony® says:
TL,

Alton Brown's GEAR for your Kitchen,page 205, "The key is to avoid models that slice with wires~~"
The illustration shows a long handled hindged paddle shaped item, NO brand name!!

EDIT: Norpro Mushroom Egg Slicer This looks like the one shown in Alton's book.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 11:25:02 AM PDT
Cheryl® says:
TL,
When I was growing up my Mom had an aluminum egg slicer (with wires) that we used all the time. She still has it.
Years ago, during one of my frequent trips to the thrift store, I came upon a similar slicer that I now use. The wires have held their shape. Recently I bought a Kitchenaid egg slicer that was marked down at our local Marshall's Department store. The only reason for the mark down, said the sales person, was that it was in the store for so many weeks. The same ones were sitting next to it, marked with the regular price. I haven't had it long enough to know if it's going to last.
I would suggest if you can find an old slicer, that would be the one to get.

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 11:29:07 AM PDT
Cheryl® says:
I've neglected my blog for a couple weeks, but for good reason. So today I'm offereing two gadget posts.
Explanation is in today's post.
The Gadgets used were two kinds of pressure cookers: recipes for Lentil Vegetable Soup and for Pork Chops
The other Gadget used is a new acquisition; an almond cake pan. I made a Scandinavian Almond Cake.
I hope you give them a look, and a try.
http://kitchentoysmakecookingfun.blogspot.com/

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 12:17:44 PM PDT
joaniepony® says:
Cheryl,

I looked!!! I always enjoy your Friday Blog.

I'm going to have to get beans & pressure cooker together (past post, hummus)

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 12:34:39 PM PDT
Cheryl® says:
JP,
Thanks for looking! The hummus was really good. You can make it just as easily w/o the raw bean & pressure cooker, but at least for me, it wouldn't be as much fun! I have made it before using rinsed, canned beans.

BTW, the almond cake....gone. Hubby and friend came in and couldn't stop eating it! Lucky for me, I'm not going to be tempted to eat it. My daughter's wedding is June 23rd and I need to fit into my cute eggplant (color) dress!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 1:10:06 PM PDT
joaniepony® says:
Cheryl,

I did do the Hummus Recipe, a few years ago, in my Vita-Mix ,and I did cook the the beans in the regulation pan-on-the-stove style. The Recipe was out of the Vita-Mix book calling for canned beans. I like to do things either from scratch or totally 'camping style" all canned goods. I thought the recipe needed to be jazzed up and I thought the Vita-mix was a pain to clean because the blade being permanently attatched made it difficult to scrape out the ingredients (and wasteful). I have given many of my "Toys" to family members. I just enjoyed aquiring them, thinking some day when I have everything, I would cook!!! I have owned EVERYTHING and plus.
So I'm on to simpler things.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 1:18:45 PM PDT
THis is a bit off subject, but I need help. I want to buy some VERY MILD aromatic peppers for my stirfries, but am not sure if I get mild red (or green) chili's, mild jalepenos or what... I want something I can slice crosswise (fresh) with out gloves on my hands, - - kind of like the (Canned - my apologies for this faux pas, but it works) mild green chili's I put in my homemade chili, and that will add a nice touch of flavor to the oil I am cooking the other romatics - - -ginger, garlic, sweet pepper, onion, etc. in. Any ideas? Maybe canned green chili's for this too if I have to? But I would prefer to use fresh with the seeds to get the flavoring to the oil as in the use of aromatics - - that is if they can be had. Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 3:05:20 PM PDT
Cheryl® says:
JP,
Thanks for the heads up on the Vita-Mix. It WAS on my wish list.

JMS,
I did a google search for "very mild aromatic peppers for stir fries" and a few things came up, one of which was a peppercorn called: Chinese Aromatic Pepper. If you do a search, you'll see them.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 3:51:21 PM PDT
Scandinavian Almond Cake.

ooohhh, YUMM - - can you share the recipe??? I LOVE anything almond! ;->
Thanks

BTW - what is an almond cake pan?

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 3:54:51 PM PDT
Cheryl® says:
JMS,
The recipe and the pictures of the cake and the pan are on my site. If you LOVE anything almond, I guarantee you'll LOVE this cake. Here is the link again: http://kitchentoysmakecookingfun.blogspot.com/

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 4:08:18 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 15, 2012 4:09:23 PM PDT
Hey Cheryl;
Thank you so much! I will try my allergen free version of your almond cake recipe ASAP. I wonder if I frosted it and then put coconut on it???

And thank you for the Google search on Chinese Aromatic Pepper. My earlier search results were very confusing. This was helpful. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 8:59:41 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 15, 2012 9:09:04 PM PDT
Miss Pony,
The ONLY tool a person ever needs in life is THIS!

PS....Love my Vita Mix for smoothies & blended bar drinks, but a food processor is just better at some jobs. Things like that hummus dip or guac are not done well in the VM.
In fact I like to make guac totally by hand so that it's a bit chunky.

You are a nice person to give away so many of your treasures.
Your family & friends are indeed FORTUNATE! =)

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 7:36:29 AM PDT
Cheryl® says:
Off Topic:

If any of you have allergy issues, I just received an email from Health & Home National Allergy site. They are having free shipping and overstock sales these next four days. I am not affiliated, nor do I benefit from any orders or click throughs. Just thought some of my online friends might be able to take advantage of this.

http://www.natlallergy.com/cat/1392/overstock-sale-bargain-prices-limited-time.html?eid=newsso612-2&sid=WP12SG&tid=newsso612-2_g_overstocksale&numperpage=all&utm_source=bronto&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Image+-+Get+Big+Savings+While+Overstock+Supplies+Last&utm_content=CherylMASS%40aol.com&utm_campaign=Special+Offer+-+Dad%27s+Day+Savings+Special+6%2F15%2F2012+-+Quarterly+SO+List+Complete

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 7:56:09 AM PDT
GW:
With a nod to the perfection of your choice, and before opening the link, I'd have guessed it to be:
Truper 30331 Tru Tough 54-Inch Manure Fork, 10-Tine, Long Handle
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  175
Total posts:  1725
Initial post:  Jun 1, 2010
Latest post:  Aug 13, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 33 customers

Search Customer Discussions