Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Outdoors Gift Guide on HTL
Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

best kitchen gadgets in constant use

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1476-1500 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 8:03:44 AM PDT
Cheryl® says:
Living on a "Gentleman's Farm", we certainly had several of these. Cleaning up after our horses would have been a messy chore if we didn't have these. But I wouldn't classify it as a "kitchen gadget" least I would hope not! :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 8:19:02 AM PDT
AC/JC says:
Thank you for the heads up and allergy site. I was looking at new mattress covers. Great site.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 8:31:28 AM PDT
Actually called a French Whisk. Absolutely love it. Can fit in a glass for chocolate milk, etc or measuring cup for scrambled eggs. Loved mine so much have always got some on my gift shelf to add to a shower or birthday present. Fantastic!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 9:47:34 PM PDT
Debs Stuff says:
Anaheim peppers are great or I get a clamshell package of the small sweet peppers. When I grill outside I roast a huge batch and then I have them for later. OHH - when you roast peppers I save the net bag that avocados come in and use that on the charred skin of the peppers - it come right off!

Posted on Jun 19, 2012 6:46:05 AM PDT
Cheryl® says:
Not sure if I mentioned this or not, but my daughter is getting married this Saturday. Knowing I'd be busy this week, I posted my Friday, June 22nd post on Monday, June 18th.

I made doughnuts! Baked doughnuts. I used the Wilton doughnut pan that I bought a while ago. The doughnuts are a good size and tasted pretty good. Here is the recipe and the step by step photo instructions:

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012 7:37:43 AM PDT
joaniepony says:

I hope you post some wedding pictures on your blog.

Posted on Jun 19, 2012 7:56:03 AM PDT
Cheryl® says:

Had not thought of it. It is off topic, but as long as the kitchen gadget police don't fine me, I'll do it!

I might even post a few pictures of my first, grandbaby, born in Tucson, AZ on June 5th. It's been a busy few months.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012 8:07:32 AM PDT
joaniepony says:

It's your blog and as long as the pictures that you post are in the kitchen, like baby in the sink!
If we would have stuck to the Topic, this thread would be long dead!

My cooking expertise in in "What not to do", like baking at an altitude of 6200ft above sea level. I've learned to test the altitude in boiling water with a Thermapen Thermometer.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012 9:31:32 AM PDT
M. Connor says:
Reading the other posts and saw the comment about MAC knives, I have a full set of them, as well as Forshner, Wustoff, and Mercer, but the MAC is without question the best. They are distributed out of Sacramento, imported from Japan. Without question my favorite after the Soduko is the Japanese boning knife. It has an unique shape that makes it amazing on bone. I have only had it for a year but it allows me to save a fortune on chicken and pork. My other favorites would be my Grandmothers iron skillet,86 years old it was a wedding present and she left it to me in her will! Soft rubber webbing that is supposedly made for produce bins, but I put it under cutting boards, bowls, ziplocs filled with meat that is being pounded anything that I do not want to slide along the counter, fabulous and so much safer. I have 8 pair of tongs,14 wooden spoons, 6 different strainers and multiple spoons, whisks and spatulas in my two large utensil holders on each side of my stove. I could not pick out which to keep as at any given minute one is more perfect than the other, but none off these are truly a gadget. My favorite gadgets are my Virtuoso electric suction marinator that I bought on Sale at Williams-Sonoma, my coffee grinders for grinding spices, my cuisinart and Robot-Coupes, my Handy Dandy hand held juicer last but not least my cluster of small graters and zesters. Yes, I know I have too much stuff, but cooking is not a spectator sport in my house!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 7:16:48 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 20, 2012 7:23:47 AM PDT
GW says:
Gotta love the appropriateness of the manure fork in connection with what Gina Wiggles spreads around here. (at least 6 inches deep.)

Very clever. Had a good belly laugh over it & am STILL smiling.

Btw, just checked out your profile & am reeling at the interests & talents you possess.
If I had even a teency-weency bit of your talent I would be SO outta here!
I keep telling myself that I should take some beginning art classes. I think art is good for the soul even if one doesn't have real talent. I doff my cap at you.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 7:25:03 AM PDT
GW says:
How I would love to have a horse to contribute to my compost pile!
You lucky duck.

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 7:59:43 AM PDT
Cheryl® says:
Sadly the horses have all gone to horse heaven, buried in our field. We have to buy our poop for our garden, that I get food from, that I can use my kitchen gadgets on.

See...went from poop to kitchen gadgets! :-)

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 4:09:04 PM PDT
My citrus squeezer, I have this one Progressive International Lemon Squeezer I bought it at the grocery store next to a bin of avocados.

I use it almost every day and it's a lot easier to clean than the old juicer, Kitchen Supply 8049 White Porcelain Lemon Juicer

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 4:16:13 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2012 1:22:39 AM PDT
GW says:
I have to get MY poop from an obliging bags.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2012 7:10:25 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 21, 2012 7:11:38 AM PDT
Just my two cents but I adore my vitamix. It works great, I make cream soups, smoothies, and the dry attachment is fantastic. I can make rice flour, oatmeal flour etc in a minute.

I don't find it hard to clean it all. As soon as I'm done using it I put a little dish soap and water, put it back on the base, blend on high for a few seconds, it's self cleaning.

For a food processor I prefer the ninja.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2012 7:29:36 AM PDT
Thredbende says:
My blender is an Oster because I haven't been able to fry the motor, unlike previous blenders AND the blade assembly meshes perfectly with all canning jars. I can use the wee 4 ounce jar to grind spices, the one cup jars for spice pastes, and quart jars if I am grinding something that will then go back into, yes, a quart jar. Sometimes I even use the jar that comes with the blender! It cleans up like a dream. Every 5 or 6 years, the blade wears out (the clue is, it starts leaking) and the rubber gaskets need to be replaced more often. Fortunately, these parts are cheap and make the trusty Oster new again.

Posted on Jun 21, 2012 1:12:48 PM PDT
S. Seldin says:
I agree with the plumbers mallet, but I use a white rubber one sold as a fender mallet in auto supply stores. they are about $5 - $8 in an auto supply. I use white because it is easier to see if it is dirty. They are also useful for furniture repairs since they don't leave black marks when you pound pieces together. You should also try a dead blow hammer. it is a large plastic hammer with shot inside of it. It will pound something without bouncing back.

I use supermarket plastic shopping bags when I bound chiken breasts etc. they are large, durable and free.

Silicon spatulas with metal handles. Silicon is wonderful and heat resistant, but a plastic handle defeats the purpose, since it melts if it is left resting on the edge of a pot.

I use light10" stainless steel tongs to cook and serve. Look at cooks and servers in restaurants, that is what they use. Do not be tempted by the long, heavy tongs sold at fancy stores, they are too big and heavy to use with dexterity.

Right handed knives. Most people don't realize it, but most cheap scalloped edged knives only work with left handed people. That is because the scalloping is tilted from right to left. Since a right handed person bears against he left edge of the blade, the angle at the base pushes the blade to the right.

I also use a water pump or parrot nosed pliers and a needle nosed pliers. If possible get both of them in stainless so that they don't rust

I use a ChefsChoice electric diamond knife sharpener. It has 3 sets of diamond wheels and will consistently give you a good sharp edge. It will also sharpen hard steel that other sharpeners will not touch.

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 10:47:04 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 22, 2012 10:49:26 AM PDT
Kay Shepherd says:
My new favorite toy is this:

ROSLE Spiral Whisk ( wouldn't let me post a product link for this...I kept getting referred to the 'guidelines' regarding inappropriate posting....)

It makes making a vinaigrette super fast and easy. My vinaigrettes stay blended and don't separate in the fridge.

P.S. I love my Vita-Mix, too, and don't find it a bit hard to clean. I just clean it right away (some water and a bit of dish soap and blend it up). I imagine if things were allowed to harden up in there it might be more difficult.

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 1:26:22 PM PDT
cosmo queen says:
Edgeware 50196 Better Zester, Green I just love the new Zester from Edgeware. I have used others in the past but the zest always stuck to the back of the zester. This one has a squeegee and measurements. Can't live without it!

Posted on Jun 23, 2012 10:46:40 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 24, 2012 12:15:46 AM PDT
Betty says:
My very old and ugly but trusty two cast iron trivets next to my gas range top--I eventually break ceramic types.

Plastic dome to cover anything my family heats up in the microwave.

New gorgeous 18" round Proteak teakwood butcher block.Flat on one side and drain ditch on the other. Bought it here on amazon.

Vintage French Linen/Cotton multi colored stripped tea towel purchased from French merchant on tea towel for drying that I own.Very sturdy.

Very small recycle bin and matching trash can that fit under sink. They have to be emptied twice a day, but I hate big kitchen trash cans and recycle bins (our mini dachshund loves them, so that's most of the reason after my husband had to reach down his throat and pull a chicken leg bone out--close call!).

These are my best kitchen gadgets in constant use.

p.s. Our son is getting married next month, so I understand busy, but not as much as his bride is right now.
Does a paper shredder count as a "kitchen gadget?" I keep ours in the dining room. Central location for everyone. We couldn't live without it.

Posted on Jun 25, 2012 10:34:11 AM PDT
Cheryl® says:
You may not see any kitchen gadgets, but as requested, you will see some wedding photos:

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 5:26:25 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 29, 2012 7:36:37 AM PDT
Cheryl® says:
Kitchen gadgets used to make this weeks post: English Muffins. I used my cast iron griddle, bread machine, biscuit cutter, oxo cutting board (Cooks Illustrated best buy), French style rolling pin.
BTW, the muffins tasted soooooo good!

Posted on Jul 9, 2012 1:25:29 PM PDT
Cheryl® says:
Today I purchased a Le Creuset oval baking dish. Amazon reviewers didn't quite like it. I only paid $8.00 on clearance at our local Marshall's. I think I still might give it a try for that price. Anyone here ever use one?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2012 1:37:59 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 9, 2012 1:38:21 PM PDT
S. Kessler says:
I have one in black that I've only used a few times. It's good for casserole dishes like mac and cheese, baked ziti, and lasagna. But I like my Emile Henry rectangular 9x12 baking dish better. But at $8 you got a bargain. Enjoy.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Cooking forum (872 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  175
Total posts:  1725
Initial post:  Jun 1, 2010
Latest post:  Aug 13, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 33 customers

Search Customer Discussions