Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

Old Cookbooks

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 151-175 of 407 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2012 7:39:50 PM PDT
A. Lyons says:
I'm so glad you and your husband enjoyed it.

I bought two pressure cookers last year and put them away until the cookbooks arrived so that my daughter and I could learn to use them together, but when the books arrived and she came over to cook I discovered that the new pressure cookers had been stolen from my apartment along with several other new items I'm thinking the thief sold so that ended our learning about pressure cookers.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2012 8:00:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 3, 2012 8:00:54 PM PDT
Chocolate Cream Roll/Rumford cookbooks

Thank you so much for sharing this tool Do you happen to remember which Rumford cookbook this came from? I have seen several editons here on AMZ, including the 1927 one. How are you feeling today? I hope you have a restful and enjoyable 4th.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2012 9:01:53 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 3, 2012 9:03:21 PM PDT
Stolen pressure cooker

I am so sorry to learn of this misfortune. What is wrong with people? I hope maybe you and your daughter learned to cook sharing the one not taken. Did you ever learn who took it? I am continualy dumbfounded at the outrageous nonsense people perpetrate on others. Maybe I am naive, but I do not understand such behavior. I was raised in a generation that one just did not do such things and it seems so prevalent nowadays, much like plagiarism, cheating, lying on resume's, etc. Although I may have a modicum of intellectual understanding, I still do not understand one not having the morals, boundarys, good sense, caring and integrity not to do such awful things. It saddens me that this was done to you. Although it hurts me wish this, I hope whomever did this suffers some horrible affect in their own lives.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2012 9:15:47 PM PDT
A. Lyons,

Love the Chocolate Cream Roll recipe and the lovely story! Thanks for sharing both. Adding the cake to my recipe file to make soon.

So sorry to hear about the pressure cookers and the theft.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2012 10:17:02 PM PDT
I will add you to my prayer list. I am undergoing treatment for pancreatic cancer and am doing well. My tumor markers are going steadily down which is wonderful news. Keep a positive attitude and enjoy each day to the fullest, even if that means you sleep most of the day when the chemo is kicking your backside. I need to get busy and put together a book of family recipes. My youngest has made me sit down & do the spaghetti sauce recipe for her by medium sized handful of this & palm sized handful of that because my recipe is never exactly the same twice. Just always good. Best of luck with your treatment. Ann

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2012 5:15:24 AM PDT
A. Lyons says:
Thank you, and I hope you have a great 4th as well. We are so blessed to live in America. I'm feeling pretty good and have great doctors and am trusting our Lord for a healing.
Rumford Complete Cook Book 1946 is the edition I found the Chocolate Cream Roll recipe in. I too have several editions and they are different.
Benjamin Thompson was Count Rumford. "The American ennobled by the courts of Europe because of his pioneer discoveries in cooking." I love it! I believe this explains just why I read about such fancy sandwich fillings for childrens lunches that made me laugh and cringe because I know none of my four would have eaten any of his suggestions. I'll find that entry in one of his cookbooks and share it with you all and will be anxious to hear if you feel you would have made any of them for your childrens school lunches. HAPPY 4TH OF JULY ALL!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2012 5:23:18 AM PDT
Grandma says:
Happy 4th of July to you too A. Lyons!

BTW, the 1908 version of the Rumford is available as a free download in epub, kindle and various other formats -

http://archive.org/details/rumfordcomplete00workgoog

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2012 5:52:13 AM PDT
A. Lyons says:
Thanks for letting me know Grandma. I'll download it today. I love my Kindle but usually only add light reading to it buying hardbound books that I call keepers so that I can write in them. I always write in my cookbooks whether we liked the recipe or not or if I added anything different to change it. I love to read my mothers old books and read her notes and thoughts.
The very old cookbooks came from a more elegant time when women were in the home and homemaking was an art we young wives worked hard to master. I took upholstery, flower arranging, sewing, food preservation, gardening so that my home ran like a well oiled machine. I even took a Carnagie sales course so I would understand what my young husband was telling me about his day. I have used everything I learned back then and still do even today as a widowed great grandmother. We were prepared for life and that is not often the case today sadly.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2012 6:21:11 AM PDT
Grandma says:
You surely are correct there! I have actually had one young woman accuse me of lying to her about what I was doing (baking a cake) when she could not find the cake mix box in the kitchen LOL.

One thing I insisted on with my own and my nephews was that they all learned how to feed themselves and others, balance a checkbook, do their own laundry, ironing and button sewing and change a tire on the car before they left home.

Posted on Jul 4, 2012 6:49:53 AM PDT
D. Stewart says:
I got a 1903 The American Family Pure Food Cook Book... it's in bad condition, spine cracked, cover taped on, pages yellowed and cracking, etc. It has etiquette, folding napkins, french words in cooking, hints to housekeepers, toilet(medical stuff) miscellaneous stains removals, and menus for a 7 course meal, etc. etc. It has recipes from the first-ladies of the white house..... just a load of history in over 600 pages

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2012 7:15:44 AM PDT
A. Lyons says:
I too own this cookbook and really enjoyed learning from it. I read cookbooks like others read novels and I make notes as I read on recipes I want to make. Right now I'm into French food but as it's to hot for me to go out with my current health concerns I'll make myself a mini picnic for one with a BBQ rib, a one potato salad and a fruit compote with honey cardamom dressing. Yummy. (I don't like leftovers)
Last night it was so hot out yet I was hungry so I made a small salad and put honey and fresh lemon juice together and poured it over my salad and stuffed it into a whole wheat pita and it hit the spot. The cold crunchy veggies with the touch of salty feta cheese, the sweet dressing and the good bread make a tasty lunch or supper.
We may be old and living alone but we don't need to eat boring unhealthy food. I use time allocation daily and that usually gives me time to write, sew, clean, cook, read and whatever else I want to do daily. I learned it many years ago when co-running a busy law firm and it's been a good tool.
Have a great day!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2012 7:47:12 AM PDT
A. Lyons says:
I did the same thing with my four kids and my only son became the baker of the four and can make just as good a Thanksgiving dinner as I can, and his decorated cakes are so pretty. My four loved learning how to balance a checkbook at age 12 but my son learned that no one in town would take his checks and after that I wrote VOID on all of the teaching checks and checkbooks after I got a couple of calls from local merchants who knew David was a handful. They still talk about him and his antics and he's now a grandfather. He told me not to tell his kids any of his antics such as placing his fish in our popcorn popper on the afternoon that the church ladies came for tea. He turned the popper on with no lid and my kitchen soon had warm fish guts and water all over the place and the ladies left post haste with their desserts wrapped in their napkins. He explained that he wanted to watch them bounce like popcorn. I told him I'm telling them everything and they laugh and his face gets beet red and I tell him paybacks are hell.
As parents we must prepare our kids for the world and unfortunately today I see and hear so many who have no lifes skills and I blame the parents and poor parenting.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2012 9:57:23 AM PDT
Tears of joy silent as the snow fall and smile sparkling in my blue eyes ... Thank you for sharing.... And this is how and why I read old cookbooks cover to cover and savor every handwritten note inscribed.... Palms treasuring each chest at an estate sale where someone tossed out an old box of junk cards/recipes..... And I read each and every one and tuck them away safe. Blessings be A.Lyons

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2012 7:11:14 PM PDT
Le says:
omg, that's just nutty! No such thing as death panels!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2012 7:13:41 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 4, 2012 7:14:15 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2012 7:31:29 PM PDT
SLCS says:
Thanks, Le. You just said what I was thinking!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2012 7:59:19 PM PDT
A. Lyons says:
I read the entire Obamacare bill in a week and there is a group who will decide what tests may be paid for and that causes many questions such as how many patients can these people deal with and make decisions for on a daily basis? Who are the people by name and credentials? Is there a group for each state or just one group? Who decided who may be in the group and how long do they serve? The Death Panel is the name given them by concerned citizens who have also read it and want answers. I will read the Supreme Court findings next week if they are now available on the internet after I get all of my doctors visits completed for the upcoming surgery and see if there are any changes to the original document I need to know for my own well being. I have worked in two large law firms and feel that at age 70 I still have the capacity to read and understand what I'm reading and my IQ is documented to be 144. I will also add that a couple of my own doctors have expressed their own concerns about being able to treat their existing patients under the new bill. Nutty? This is the most radical wasteful adminsitration in my 70 long years and I've been active in politics for the last 50 years here inside the beltway where we live eat and sleep politics. I am the president for the third time of the oldest Republican womens club on the East Coast. I am founder of yet another Republican club and am also a member of a large Republican mens club. I am also a member in good standing of The National Association of Professional Women and reciepient of their 2012 excellence in leadership and arts award.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2012 8:09:24 PM PDT
Grandma says:
A. Lyons - please contact me privately at the email address you'll find on my profile.

Posted on Jul 4, 2012 8:09:42 PM PDT
Le says:
I don't think you're stupid, just gullible.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/medical/over75.asp

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2012 8:15:21 PM PDT
A. Lyons says:
I did not join this blog to discuss politics but a shared love of food and old cookbooks and family recipes and so will not write anything further on the subject. I had been enjoying the blog up until now and will only write about food in future but am very grateful for the support from the women of this blog while I deal with this latest illness.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2012 8:20:34 PM PDT
"The Death Panel is the name given them by concerned citizens"

Sorry, but I have been following this since its inception and that little misnomer was thrown out early on by the Republicans for someone in the public to latch onto and run with it. However, one can see the continuum that led to this kind of convoluted thinking. Don't want to get political, I just am concerned at the confusion deliberately reined into all of this. I am more that perturbed that Obama did not allow any consumers on his original panel, despite groups representing them coming forward in request to be included and protest at being turned away by him. To my mind, this violated too many of his campaign promises. 'nuff said. Now I want to get back to the intent of this thread - - old cookbooks and that comeraderie and memory and recipe sharing we all engage in - - and I continue to wish you well.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2012 8:23:08 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 4, 2012 11:06:51 PM PDT]

Posted on Jul 4, 2012 9:53:58 PM PDT
A.A. says:
I just published "las recetas de Mama Pura" (unfortunately in Spanish) A compilation of traditional Dominican recipes. If you have kindle and prime you can borrow for free. Las recetas de Mamá Pura (La cocina dominicana nº 1) (Spanish Edition)

Posted on Jul 5, 2012 9:35:00 AM PDT
Gail Freeman says:
Much earlier in this discussion someone mentioned snow ice cream - it was such a treat for me and my siblings! I made it for my children, too. The weather has changed so much that here in Kansas we rarely get a snow deep enough (or clean enough) to eat, so I doubt my grandchildren will enjoy this old time treat. Also, my grandmother made something she called "scrapple" that was in a loaf pan. She sliced and (I think) fried it and it made the best sandwiches. I haven't a clue what was in it. Anyone?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2012 9:54:14 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 5, 2012 10:10:04 AM PDT
Grandma says:
@Gail Freeman - I do know exactly what is in scrapple. There are a couple of different versions, but the one that I used to make when my kids were still at home goes like this: Make a pot (about a quart or so) of thick cornmeal mush. Meanwhile, fry up some good breakfast sausage - a pound or so - like you were scrambling hamburg. We like ours a bit on the spicy side and a little heavy on the sage. Stir the sausage and the drippings into the cornmeal mush, then pack it into bread pans*** that you have rinsed with cold water but not dried. Just tip out the excess water. Let it stand overnight in the fridge, then the following day it will just fall right out of the pan for you to slice up and fry. Keeps 2 or 3 days but also freezes very well.

***For camping purposes I would collect the waxed-cardboard type of half gallon milk containers, cut off the top, then wash the base very well, rinse with cold water and use that for your scrapple mold. Put the whole thing into a heavy duty freezer bag, remove the extra air and freeze solid. You can use the still frozen block as ice in your ice chest. It will take a day or two to thaw out and is fantastic fried up in a bit of bacon dripping over a campfire.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Cooking forum (847 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  72
Total posts:  407
Initial post:  May 13, 2012
Latest post:  Sep 3, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 21 customers

Search Customer Discussions