Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

Appliances not made in China

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 151-175 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2011 7:25:39 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 27, 2011 7:26:13 AM PDT
Z says:
Is the German owner having problems with a Magimix? If so, every brand has a lemon or two, but at least Robot Coupe has a good warranty. Haven't read too many bad reviews as compared to other brands. Do you have the URL to the Youtube video?
As soon as my budget gives me a little room, I'll start saving towards a Magimix. May take a while, but I'm really wanting one.

Posted on Jun 27, 2011 9:26:09 AM PDT
P. Senin says:
Curious Cook is right :) Enough with the political bashing of China, few people would understand the how beautiful the country is and how well made the products actually are. A 5000 year old civilization does not begin over night, and yes Tara Wade the chinese do know about quality. Most of the comments on the post have no relevance to cooking at all. Almost all the HP and Computer Components are manufactured in China and then assembled in America. We the consumers determine the market. If you do not like cheap and dispensable toys or products, stop supporting Wal-Mart. I doubt few of the people have spent time in China, and they only repeat what they see on t.v or the internet, which is just american Propaganda. Sherrill A Anderson comment is a typical of this. I work in the Oil and Gas Industry and about 80-90% of parts come from China (Yes Sherrill they have High pressure, torque specs and shearing have all exceeded the standard API)... As Far as Music Lover comment on Communist..... I do not see a china having over 740 bases world wide, and declaring war on Libya, Afghanistan, Iraq and multiple countries in the name of Democracy and freedom (what about guantanamo bay Cuba for torturing?). As far as Chinese Motorcycles Papflajack, those are produced within the country and not shipped anywhere, I'm sure your confusing this with Japanese Motorcycle, which can out run and outlast most american products. I have a Suzuki 1300 that runs great no problems, I'm scared of taking out my 1983 Harley for fear of it breaking down on the side of the road. As far as Talyn comment (boycott anything made in China) this a typical ignorant comment enough said.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2011 10:49:43 AM PDT
MacGuffin says:
Champion juicers are made here and last forever. They make excellent juice, too

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2011 10:52:38 AM PDT
MacGuffin says:
Yes, a Magimix--that's why I posted it. I agree with your observation about lemons but this seemed to have to do with a plastic part that probably should have been metal.
Williams-Sonoma is the only authorized vendor for the top-of-the-line model; it has the most capacious feed tube.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2011 11:01:50 AM PDT
MacGuffin says:
P. Senin, I'm old enough to remember Tiananmen Square--how about you? I had a Chinese friend who told me about Chinese citizens waiting behind the large hotels that catered to rich tourists, hoping for a taste of the scraps that were being disposed of. And most of us here are complaining about poor quality, with the political situation as the frosting on the cake. And for that matter, I fail to see what YOUR comment has to do with cooking.

If you disagree with the sentiments being voiced in this discussion, please start one of your own instead of flaming this one--I have no reason to think that it would be a violation of Amazon's guidelines.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2011 11:37:57 AM PDT
Z says:
MacGuffin
I was asking if the German fellow was having the problem with a Magimix because I misread your post - I thought it might also have been the Cuisinart you were talking about.
I think the problem is with the nylon(?) post. I wonder if his model was older and whether the problem has been rectified on the newer versions. If that's the only ongoing problem, then I'd buy a couple extra posts if they could easily be replaced, and keep them on hand. I think that problem occurs when you use it for heavy, large amts of dough - at least I seem to remember some reviewers commenting on this.
Chef's Catalog is selling the Magimix 5150 through Amazon, which is the model I want. But I think I have access to one with a lower price.

Posted on Jun 27, 2011 12:10:31 PM PDT
MacGuffin says:
@Zanne To be honest, I wouldn't do dough in a food processor anyway--I have a Bosch Compact mixer that's supposed to be able to handle quite a bit of dough very well, although I haven't tried it. And I'm pretty sure you're right--the problem is the post; one wishes they'd gone the extra mile and made it a bit sturdier. Regardless, it's the best food processor on the market for home use although I wish the feed tube were wider on the smaller models (not a problem on my old Cuisinart) and I also wish the feed tube collapsed (like on my Cuisinart); storage is lots easier that way. Regardless, I still want one. :)

I'm not familiar with the 5150. The one WS carries is the 5200XL; that's the only model in the 5000 series with which I'm familiar.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2011 2:32:43 PM PDT
Z says:
The 5200 is the one with the larger feed tube. I don't need that so I think the 5150 (smaller feed tube) is good enough for me. It comes with so many extras that I'd be hard pressed to need add'l items - it even comes with a juice extractor. I'm not cooking for a lot of people, so I think the 5150 is fine. And a 3 yr overall and 12 year warranty on the motor says something about the company.
Now I just have to start putting my pennies away so I can buy one.

Posted on Jun 27, 2011 2:45:37 PM PDT
MacGuffin says:
I hear ya. But don't be tempted by their toaster...it's made in China. :(
The citrus juicer is one extra I don't need; I'd rather have a price break and do without it but I realize it's standard.

Posted on Jun 27, 2011 2:59:39 PM PDT
Bubbles says:
I generally don't get into discussions, but I wanted to put my two cents worth in, here.
I try not to buy Chinese. I have nothing against the Chinese people, but I have a great deal against the Chinese government.
Please remember the fall of The Soviet Union. It had more to do with lack of money...the government went BROKE... than anything else. Why did they go broke? Because so many countries would not trade with them.
I found it interesting that it was a Democrat who opened trade with China. I am not affiliated with any particular party, so my comment was not meant to say anything bad against any party. BUT the Democrats are more likely to be and tout themselves as being champions of the downtrodden. Here we have a government (China) that cares nothing for their people, that has the distinction of being one of the worst offenders of human rights in the world, and yet we open trade with them. Having discussions with them, trying to get better lives for their people is a good thing. BUT opening trade with them is NOT the way to go. What it says is that we are okay with the policies of the country.
Now, I have learned that companies are leaving China because it has become to expensive for them the continue to operate there. Good

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2011 4:13:13 PM PDT
S. Snow says:
According to the All-Clad web site:
"All-Clad bonded cookware is made in Canonsburg, Pennsylvania. All-Clad offers the best in professional cookware and utensils, for an ultimate cooking experience. Emerilware is the result of the successful collaboration between All-Clad and chef Emeril Lagasse, and offers high-quality colorful and authentic cookware. Emerilware is made in China."
http://www.all-clad.com/consumer-service/frequently-asked-questions/#faq7

I had an Emerilware sauce pan with a lid, which melted. True, the heat was a bit too high, and the liquid had evaporated, but pans are not suppose to melt and it did. Guess it came from China.

My All-Clad pans have also been occasionally over cooked from my being online and not in the kitchen watching. But, they have never melted, and while tarnished, they can still be cleaned and reused.

All-Clad is the best investment I've ever made. With care and a good memory on behalf of the owner, All-Clad could last from generation to generation of human owners.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2011 4:24:51 PM PDT
Soap Box 21 says:
We need to tax all the imported products and starting making stuff in America again. Even at Kroger and Target in the snack foods section Peaches, canned pineapple from Malaysia, Thailand and Philippines. All canned mushrooms from China, Apple juice made from concentrate in China. Beef at Kroger from Uraguay ---where the hell is Uraguay --- can you find it on a map? All imported electronics $100.00 sales tax. Imported shoes $20.00 sales tax. Imported clothing $5.00 per item. Then we will see Fruit of the Loom and Hanes being made in America again. Fresh fruit not commonly grown in the US should be the exception. I love Chilean grapes ---but I would certainly buy American grown ones if my grocer carried them. Wal-mart and dollar stores are the down fall of America. Wal-mart alone has made China so rich they pretty much own the US because we let it happen. Just go into any Michael's or Hobby Lobby craft store and try to find 20 items made in America ---you can't can you? A store 2 acres wide and you cannot find 20 items made in America --- I dare you. Beads made in China, Textiles and yarn made in Turkey, I am ashamed of the quality of products our stores carry. If we all would take time to buy American -- it just may be your own job you are saving. Here I type this on my Logitect keyboard made in China.

AT least trading should be even with China -- they should buy as many American products as they export to our country.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2011 4:47:38 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 27, 2011 4:50:15 PM PDT
MacGuffin says:
Taxes are never the answer to anything and probably contribute to why so much industry went offshore. This economy is horrible and a LOT of people have a hard time making ends meet...you propose that their incomes buy even less?! Better that consumers make it known that they'd prefer goods made here and in other free countries by voting with their wallets if they can afford to do so. And what's so difficult about finding Uruguay on a map?! Good grief--I can remember a time in which pretty much any random junior high student could point at it without a moment's hesitation. I'll give you a hint: head east from where those grapes you like so much are grown--it's on the same continent.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2011 6:12:33 PM PDT
About your secondary question: check wikipedia under "lead glass." Many types of crystal glass are made with lead to increase the "sparkliness" of the glass (okay, purists, I do know that's an over-simplification). Acidic liquids -- wine, many juices, coffee -- leach out the lead, and lead accumulates in the body's soft tissues. Not good. In the U.S. the amount of lead that can be added to glassware is limited; back in the 1980's there were complaints about some Spanish manufacturers substantially exceeding European standards. I think one worry expressed in this thread is that enforcement in the PRC of safety standards is too weak.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2011 6:12:39 PM PDT
Julia says:
If you want good bake ware try USA Pans made right here in Penn. They are great and a good price here on Amazon. I have just order two more pans from them.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2011 6:36:56 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 27, 2011 6:40:28 PM PDT
MacGuffin says:
I'll look into the pans. My folks are from Pa. :)

Oh, COOL! They make pullman pans! I've always wanted to try Julia Child's pain de mie!

Posted on Jun 29, 2011 11:13:56 AM PDT
Vitamix blenders are made in the USA, in Ohio. And they last so long you have to will them to your relatives. They come with a 7 year warranty and they sell replacement parts for models that were made decades ago.
And, just a follow up on the comment(s) about Wal-Mart...When Sam Walton opened his first store, he vowed to only sell merchandise made in the U.S. When he died, his son took over the company and immediately started buying cheaply made crap from China to replace the domestic made products. I don't think they sell a single product made or grown in the U.S. For me, all I have to do is remember the horrible pet food recall of 2007 and all of those animals that suffered or died. That's a sobering reminder to read every label before buying, especially food products, (for humans or pets). Also, it isn't just crystal that contains lead. Some european countries use it in the glaze applied to stoneware dishes. It makes them shinier. The ones to watch out for are sets made in Italy, Spain, China, and some South American countries. American companies like Pfaltzgraff claim that they do not use any lead in or on their line of stoneware.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2011 3:37:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 5, 2011 10:44:15 AM PDT
Z says:
Just came across this older (2009&2010) info recently. I know we got off topic, but thought anyone considering a Magimix might want this info.

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/576112
2 comments:
1) The XL lid and feeder tube/pusher will fit the 5150 just fine provided you use the extra long disc adapter. I have just upgraded my machine for under $75.00 plus shipping . The Gourmet Depot Co. has the parts and they fit and operate on the 5150 as if it were standard. The part nos. are MMRO17331(XL PUSHER), MMRO17333(BLACK XL LID) and MMRO103997(XL DISC ADAPTER). I hope this makes other users of this really nice piece of kitchen equipment as happy as I am.
2) With a little tweaking of the part numbers, I got a large feed tube top with a white handle to match my machine, and a longer stem. The longer stem is critical since the top is a higher dome. The poster who has over an inch between the blade and the lid probably did not have a longer stem. The XL top works just fine with the 5150. I've used slicing, grating, single-sided, double sided, and chopping blades.

Posted on Jul 3, 2011 4:06:39 PM PDT
MacGuffin says:
Good to know. And Williams-Sonoma has a special running through 7/7; they'll throw in the extra blade set for free with the purchase of a 5200.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2011 10:10:53 PM PDT
"We need to tax all the imported products and starting making stuff in America again. "

That starts trade wars which are even worse for your country (not the making things at home, the leveraging import duties high enough to make US made products cheaper for consumers than Chinese made products).
And do remember that China owns the US, lock, stock, and barrel. Their portfolio in US treasury bonds is several times larger than the entire US federal budget...

What instead needs to change is the attitude of the US worker, who demands extremely high pay for what's effectively unskilled labour (watching a machine in a production line do its thing for example, only needing the occasional bit of grease) and then doesn't buy the products made by his employer because they're more expensive than their Chinese counterparts.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2011 10:16:36 PM PDT
"Many types of crystal glass are made with lead to increase the "sparkliness" of the glass (okay, purists, I do know that's an over-simplification). "

in fact in Europe the very best and most sought after glassware is exactly that, lead crystal glass. And the best is made in a few places in eastern Europe, mostly Hungary and former Czechoslovakia.

Hardly anyone cares about the miniscule amounts of lead that leech into your drinks. Everyone knows to not store liquids in lead crystal decanters for extended periods. If you see one standing on display with what appears to be wine in it, it usually isn't (or is wine not fit for consumption). When to be used, it's emptied, rinsed, and then filled with wine for the occasion.

" I think one worry expressed in this thread is that enforcement in the PRC of safety standards is too weak."

And it is, or rather "standards" in the PRC are far lower than those in the US or EU, and even those are broken with near impunity unless people get harmed in large numbers.
The Spanish story you mention was someone breaking the established rules, not the rules being too lax. When you hear about Chinese toys being shipped to the US and Europe with amounts of toxins far exceeding limits it's otoh the US and EU limits being exceeded, not the Chinese limits.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2011 7:23:15 AM PDT
Griffin says:
Not so for all their cookware. The cast iron is made in the USA but then they have them enameled in China... I had e-mailed the company and questioned about lead content. They replied there was none.Asked if they would ever consider having this enameling process done in the USA. They simply replied they stand behind their product.I have a lot of lodge cast iron (12 pieces) and love it, but I will not purchase any of the enameled cookware because of the history of the country this process is completed at.Also the cast iron that is pre-seasoned is also sent to China for that process. I have had to remove the seasoning off of two new pans because black /brown coloring was coming off on my dish cloths and towels and the smell was horrible almost like motor oil...Ugh!!! You know you just have to be ingesting that nasty stuff. It seems like that is all you can buy now lately is the pre-seasoned.
I paid the extra $$$ and bought the Le Creuset enamelware. Its worth the peace of mind and it will be handed down to the family

Posted on Jul 4, 2011 8:00:00 AM PDT
MacGuffin says:
I just learned today that Jacob Bromwell, the company that manufactured the tin sifter that I've been using for close to 40 years, is still in business and still makes everything here: http://www.jacobbromwell.com/ . Their products carry a lifetime warranty and it's apparently not an idle promise given my experience with their sifter. I hope readers of this thread will have a look and maybe think of supporting this wonderful company should they need anything Bromwell manufactures.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2011 1:53:06 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 4, 2011 1:54:01 PM PDT
OldAmazonian says:
Good info about Lodge's claim to be US-made. Good reason to seek out cast iron from decades ago. The older stuff is also likely to be better finished, with a milled inside surface rather than Lodge's rough cast surface.

Posted on Jul 4, 2011 2:38:09 PM PDT
MacGuffin says:
With the exception of the enameled stuff, it's still made here. Smooth or rough surface is a matter of preference; I have both extremely old Wagner (smooth) and rather old Griswold (rough); both perform well. I love the Wagner for its antiquity but I couldn't honestly say it performs any better than the Griswold (and they all get lots of use).
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Cooking forum (849 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  309
Total posts:  1015
Initial post:  Dec 27, 2009
Latest post:  Nov 1, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 44 customers

Search Customer Discussions