Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

What is the worst cooking mistake you ever made?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 151-175 of 390 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2010 7:51:44 PM PDT
mango™ says:
LL

EEEeeeewwwwww! Snails Everywhere! I'd have moved out!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2010 7:53:15 PM PDT
mango™ says:
SK

SLUGS? Cute? Really? ughhh
Slimy little boogers!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2010 7:57:26 PM PDT
mango™ says:
That durian show was a classic!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2010 7:57:52 PM PDT
S. Kessler says:
LOL, Mango. Yeah, I'm a fan of all types of critters. I like watching nature programs on insects and things.

Posted on Oct 24, 2010 8:20:29 PM PDT
This happened when I moved into a new dorm where they had the electric burners.
I was going to saute some stuff so I put the skillet on the highest setting. I didn't know where the olive oil was so I had to look for it for a couple of minutes. When I poured it onto the skillet it immediately started to bubble. After a couple of seconds it caught on fire. Thank god we had the smoke detecters disconnected. Also, thank god I watched that episode of Myth Busters the other day! They said pouring water on flaming oil is EXTREMELY dangerous since it would produce an explosion! I didn't know how to put it out so I had to wait several minutes for the flame to die on its own. The skillet was ruined but thanks to my roommate I was able to finish cooking the meal on a different pan. My skillet was ruined and I disliked the electric burners even more than I used to.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2010 1:53:35 AM PDT
jesieg,
In my whole life I have never left a farberware pan on the burner with water boiling for more than a half an hour(maybe a tad more) and droplets of aluminum adhearing to the burner NOT ME. OH NO!! IM PERFECT! The burner has to share part of the blame!! but TWICE!!!! I don't think so!!

Posted on Dec 30, 2011 3:26:37 PM PST
Ann Huffman says:
60 some odd years ago and that turkey still lingers in my memory.

A new method, then, was to cook the turkey all night in a slow oven. This I did, it was a beautiful turkey, browned just right, and so on. I took it to my in-laws for Thanksgiving dinner. sigh~~ At the first prick of a knife, the blood spurted out to the turkey clear to the ceiling of the dinning room.

anninislandcity

Posted on Dec 30, 2011 4:10:20 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 30, 2011 4:11:11 PM PST
SM says:
The very worst was probably adding cold milk to an already heated pyrex dish...science lesson about glass in my kitchen. It cracked and since this was an "old" style aka traditional style burner stove, the milk and noodle contents leaked down into the stove. Quite a mess. I was 20, so I'm gonna go with inexperienced as my excuse.

A more recent idiotic moment was making grits in the microwave. Add the grits, forgot the water, turned on the microwave. The smell of burnt popcorn alerted me to the small fire in the microwave. I don't know where my head was at that time.

The good thing is that my husband wont let me in the kitchen anymore and does all the cooking. Plan worked!

Posted on Dec 30, 2011 11:14:11 PM PST
Carlgo says:
Took me awhile to figure out that recipes attributed to famous chefs may not have ever been tried out. They are busy flying all over. Interns do the recipes most of the time. Tried peanut butter crusted steak. Sounded good what with a steak, crust and roasted nuts... it was a waste of steak. Simply horrible.

Like everyone I have forgotten things that later turned to fire and carbon. I am now pretty good at reminding myself that you can cook something more, but you can't un-cook it.

An essential tool is a timer/thermometer. It will remind you of things. Staying sober is essential. At gala events you might want to be swept up in the party, but you have expensive food, things to juggle, people depending on you. I have learned that very moderate drinking is more than enough. In restaurants the drunken chefs get fired in time.

Posted on Dec 31, 2011 4:45:32 PM PST
1 clove of garlic does not equal 1 head of garlic. That was some potent bean dip. Also, I did not know how to properly peel the cloves so I took the skin off bit by bit with a knife and my fingernails. It was quite time consuming.

Posted on Dec 31, 2011 9:23:11 PM PST
Stephanie says:
Oh god, I have 3
#1 I'm in my first apartment, buy some brats because I'm German, obv, and I don't have a grill. So what do I decide to cook them with. Yeah, that's right, worst possible choice, the gas broiler. They totally caught on fire. I caught it and put it out, tried them anyway and man, if they weren't some of the best brats I've ever had. Been hoping they'd start a small manageable fire ever since, lol.

#2 still young, still stupid. I didn't know anything about cuts of meat and bought a cheap cut of beef. Cooked it up in a pan and fed it to my boyfriend. It was horrible. Tough and flavorless. He was nice enough not to complain. Now I cook some if the best steaks around, thankfully.

#3 by this time, I'm much more experienced and pretty much know what I'm doing so I decide to make a flour less chocolate cake for my husbands birthday. I didn't have a big enough pan for the water bath so I put it in a larger skillet. My mom was visiting and when it came time to take it out if the water bath, she tried to help me, and whap, it flips over and lands in the sink. Thankfully I had disinfected the sink that day (stainless) because we sat around the sink with spoons and ate it anyway. It was delicious (and expensive to make).

Posted on Jan 1, 2012 8:11:03 AM PST
C. Freshler says:
Hmmm, 2 things come to mind...cooked spaghetti squash in mocrowave and it blew up....thought water heater or something had blown up; or we were under attack...(by squashes...)
Made lasagne in a tin foil pan for easy cleaning. Taking out of oven, the pan shifted and spilled sauce all over. I slipped in it, fell, and spilled entire pan. (I screamed and BF thought I'd been attacked...bleeding all over...)

Posted on Jan 1, 2012 10:05:18 AM PST
Consumer says:
I quickly learned the importance of putting oil or butter in a pan before cooking anything so that things don't get cooked on to the pan. I think the first time I learned this was when I was making scrambled eggs. It took hours of scrubbing and soaking before that pan was clean.

Posted on Jan 1, 2012 3:49:09 PM PST
there are two offensives i cannot decide the worst. number 1...i forgot to take the inside packages from the turkey, we found it before i served and kept it on the QT. number two i had just met my husband and wanted to impress his friends with home made fresh pasta. i was nervous so i had a nice xl glass of wine or 3 and when i made the pasta i used all semolina and forgot to add regular flour to the mix..results= pasta that was really grity. fortunately they had more wine than i so it sorta passed...we laughed at my awkard moment.

Posted on Jan 1, 2012 4:57:10 PM PST
L. Anderson says:
Cooking while camping requires some improvisation. When I was about 13, my sister and I and some friends of ours were camping on the beach and had a nice campfire going. We decided to warm up a can of beans by putting it directly into the fire (no cleanup needed!). A few minutes later we heard a muffled Whomp! and it began to rain warm pork and beans all over us. The lid of the can had come partially off and the escaping gases had propelled the beans into the air. It was a good thing that we'd done this outside, rather than in a house.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2012 5:16:18 PM PST
Carlgo says:
Cooking while camping reminded me of this: as a teenager went with some friends camping, had a big batch of delicious beef stew one of the mothers provided. My idea was to augment it with the can of tuna I brought...astonishingly bad.

Posted on Jan 2, 2012 10:15:59 AM PST
Ogr8ys1 says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jan 2, 2012 11:19:10 AM PST
17 years old. Cooked a beautiful looking meal. Added salt and pepper - twice!. Not even the dog would eat it. I have four brothers!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2012 6:33:13 PM PST
I burn water.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2012 6:37:59 PM PST
NOt cooking either, but when I was a kid mymom was given a set of stainless steel graduated sized bowls. She cherised these. One day I took one and used it to slide down our hill in - - winter, you know?

When I got up, it was all dented and messed up. I snuck it back into the set and kept my mouth shut.

Some thirty or so years later I confessed and my mom said she used to think she'd lost her mind; she spent years trying to figure out what the hell happened to that bowl. NOW she laughed.

The lesson:
Wait thirty years to confess to your stupidities.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2012 6:41:02 PM PST
Talking is important - - your food wants to please you; even more than yo may want it to.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2012 6:45:12 PM PST
You are all just hysterical! I haven't had so much fun reading about cooking since I was a kid lcing at home with my 7 siblings and a mom who loved cooking and teaching us to cook, exploding pressure cookers and all! Thank you!

I am definately "in with kin!"

Posted on Jan 2, 2012 7:02:53 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 4, 2012 4:13:09 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2012 7:49:27 PM PST

Posted on Jan 2, 2012 10:27:16 PM PST
Fairylander says:
Mine was this past Thanksgiving when I cooked a 24 pound turkey using my newest and most prized toy....a digital meat thermometer with a wire that stays in the turkey during cooking with a screen that can be read any place in the house. I bragged and bragged on what a great invention it was until the turkey sat for its respectable half hour and we were ready to eat. Lo and behold, while everyone was watching the carving drooling over it's beauty and smell, out came juicy blood. The dang thing was very undercooked! I hadn't put the probe in far enough so it was a very false reading on the done-ness of the turkey. We heated it in the oven and it was finally cooked in time to be desert with the best gravy that I have ever made. No one even wanted to take home left overs so we had a lot of turkey to put in the freezer! I cooked another one for Christmas and it was perfect.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Cooking forum (875 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  192
Total posts:  390
Initial post:  Jun 6, 2010
Latest post:  Jun 12, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 25 customers

Search Customer Discussions