Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

Is there a food you just won't eat?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-200 of 637 posts in this discussion
Posted on May 14, 2012 3:04:14 PM PDT
I eat a lot of whole grains as well. Lots of fruits & veggies, seeds & some nuts. I make my own peanut and almond butters too so I can avoid all that added sugar and other garbage put into the commercially made stuff. Sugar has always been my achilles heel though. Very hard to stop altogether. I've at least gone to all dark chocolate which is way healthier in so many ways.

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2012 3:36:59 PM PDT
widowTink says:
No Andrew Zimmern....that guy is whacked! Maybe I should clarify: organs and parts are okay for pets, but not for me. I've eaten plenty of oddball stuff in my life; alligator chili, broasted frogs legs, I was reckless when I was young. My EX-husband cured me of ever wanting to eat game meat again after he gutted a deer on my kitchen counter and made me eat wild rabbit he coated with bbq shake-n-bake and barbecued. That was the most horrible thing I've ever eaten. It still gives me the willies to think about it. He was the buzzkill for my adventurous eating days.

I'll eat plenty of crab and shrimp at Disneyland this weekend............there are NO RULES in the Magic Kingdom!

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2012 4:46:32 PM PDT
MommaCat says:
Crab + shrimp +disneyland = PERFECTION
I grew up close to Calif Disney. We didn't have seafood at that one, but I could go sixtyleven times a year. I sure miss that.

Posted on May 14, 2012 5:46:40 PM PDT
Brett says:
Cooked celery(like in soup). I like celery cold.
Warm Pineapple(on pizza and on ham). Again, needs to be cold.
Head Cheese
Tongue Loaf
Hot Dogs
Liver and Blood Sausage

Posted on May 14, 2012 7:03:03 PM PDT
My father used to eat Head Cheese and something called Sulze. It is comprised of various meat parts suspended in an aspic type of gelatinous goo. God awful stuff. He loved pickled pigs feet too. He really knew how to clear a room.

Posted on May 15, 2012 9:22:05 AM PDT
I've only had basic cucumbers. Maybe I'll try the Asian variety and see what I think

Posted on May 27, 2012 11:06:35 AM PDT
I do not like poke, My mother goes poke hunting all the time, but I will not eat it. I don't like the smell of it, either. I used to be like that with Brussel sprouts. However, I will occasionally eat them if they are at a guest's house.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2012 11:10:10 AM PDT
MommaCat says:
I don't even know what that is! Are you going to make me google it? :-)

Posted on May 27, 2012 12:03:31 PM PDT
Bundtlust says:
Raw horsemeat (basashi). Every single one of my Japanese students asked me the same two questions: 1. Can you eat with chopsticks? 2. Have you tried basashi? Yes, and no, in that order.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2012 1:45:02 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 28, 2012 5:06:47 AM PDT
Re: Poke - Whoa! just read about it and am sure I wouldn't eat it either. The whole poisonous thing kinda puts me off.
and who the heck wants to take all that time cooking something over and over again until it's safe to consume.
Don't think so.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2012 3:15:11 PM PDT
MommaCat says:
What's with the raw thing? Thanks but no thanks. And no thanks to domesticated animals.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2012 3:15:36 PM PDT
MommaCat says:
Yeah, and ok then.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2012 5:15:40 PM PDT
I'll try almost anything. But I will not eat okra or bellpeppers. Okra tastes snotty and bellpeppers just taste awful to me. Yes, forcefed as a child, but also forcefed onions which I love as an adult. Weird. Oh, bittermelon is another one, also beets, brussel sprouts, and halepenos are no thanks. However I love raw calf liver, ama ebi (raw shrimp), opihi, raw crab & raw fish! Lucky to live Hawaii!

Posted on May 28, 2012 9:34:45 AM PDT
R. L. MILLER says:
Lobsters gross me out. So I guess it's a good thing they're so expensive. I'd be the only customer in a Red Lobster who only ordered fish.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2012 3:19:14 PM PDT
WhatsHerName says:
eggs, i never liked them, but my babysitters dad held my head in a headlock & forced them in my mouth, def made it worse. Also pumpkin, same thing, my kindergarten teacher told me i had to eat this pumpkin pie ( didnt believe me when i said i had already tried it, i did, parents LOVE it) it was HORRID. yuk

Posted on May 28, 2012 3:31:06 PM PDT
Beets make me gag! I think it is because Sister Flavian, who ran the cafeteria at a Catholic grade school in Pittsburgh, made us finish them after we had hidden them in our milk cartons and tried to sneak them into the garbage - starving kids you know!

Posted on May 28, 2012 3:48:19 PM PDT
MommaCat says:
Wow to both of the above. The first sounds like child abuse to me.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2012 8:42:04 PM PDT
My mother calls it "poke hunting." It's a big thing here in Kentucky, at least for my mother and her friends. They get their butcher knives out, some paper bags, and go hunting. It smells up the WHOLE house.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2012 8:42:27 PM PDT
Hawaii sounds fun!

Posted on May 28, 2012 10:30:04 PM PDT
Hippie :) says:
Mushrooms. I just will not eat fungi. Yuck.

Posted on May 28, 2012 11:44:26 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 29, 2012 12:58:36 AM PDT
AKN says:
Shark. Blowfish. ( aka FUGU) Insects. Headcheese. Grits , so slimey!

I've eaten squirrel (very tasty), bear, venison, snake, alligator ( like roast beef), adore snails, squid, octopus, beef tongue. I see shark sold a lot here but I could never bring
myself to eat something so disgusting, to me anyway.

I like eggs but they now make me barf violently for some reason when I eat them.

I had Poke weeds in my backyard and they are huge six foot tall horrible nasty weeds.
They made a million seeds and there is nothing on earth that would kill them. They are like iron. I doubt I would eat them.

My elderly relative who I later realized was losing it had old oatmeal, hardened into rubber she tried to make me eat, along with ancient American cheese slices that were like trying to eat vinyl or strips of plastic. I still won't ever eat American cheese slices again. She fried a hamburger for an hour at high heat into a hockey puck and gave it to me for lunch.

Posted on May 29, 2012 3:39:52 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 29, 2012 3:40:15 PM PDT
I can't tolerate low-sodium labeled items where the salt is reduced AND they add potassium chloride as a salt substitute. It tastes metalic and bitter and just plain horrible to me. Morton's Lite salt, Low-sodium V8.

I know people who need to reduce salt who get accustomed to the taste. I doubt I could. I would need to not use packaged and canned food, prepare food from scratch and control salt that way.

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 4:57:37 PM PDT
Most food issues are a mental thing - like yours with brains and haggis. Both are delicious. Haggis tastes much like scrapple, for those who are familiar with that.

I decided years ago, when I was traveling all over the world, that I would be open to everything - wouldn't say no to anything without at least trying it. That has stood me in good stead - I've discovered a lot of great food.

The one thing that I prefer not to eat - I can, but would rather not - is cantaloupe. Just don't much like the taste.

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 7:38:52 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 29, 2012 7:39:24 PM PDT
MommaCat says:
I disagree. I've found that for many people that they've been given improperly cooked foods. That's the reason so many people dislike vegetables such as broccoli, brussel sprouts and the aforementioned okra. The first two are so often overcooked as to be inedible and okra when not cut with a sharp knife is slimy. The slime is actually a thickener, which comes in cooking such as gumbos, but nobody wants to eat that as a vegetable side dish. I certainly don't blame aperson for not liking something based on any of those reasons.

As for me, eating the stomach lining of an animal filled with dog food is revolting at best.

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 9:48:20 PM PDT
AKN says:
I love fried okra, it's delicious. If properly fried in cornmeal there is no slime, just a very tender mild vegitable. It's a southern dish.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Cooking forum (849 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  114
Total posts:  637
Initial post:  May 7, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 7, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions