Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

Microwave not made in China?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-18 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 15, 2012 11:16:16 AM PDT
Simon Helton says:
Hi!

Does anyone know of any microwaves that aren't made in China? Particularly a countertop unit. Thanks!

Posted on Feb 24, 2014 10:21:52 PM PST
kelly says:
Hi, did u get any info on which brand/model microwaves that arent from china? Im in search of one as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2014 10:17:01 AM PST
joaniepony® says:
I googled "Microwave ovens made in US" and found some information.
The problem is many of the parts are manufactured in other countries and
assembled In the US. Several years ago, I purchased a Viking portable induction cooktop, after I was assured by a Viking representative that it was US made. It was made in China, yet I paid $499 for it, when I could have purchased a Max Burton, of the same quality, for $200.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2014 1:43:56 AM PST
where do you stop with "US made" anyway?
If some of the raw materials for the product are imported from abroad, do you count the product as "not US made"?
We live in a global market, where companies do business all over the world. A such, it doesn't really make all that much sense to talk about "made in XXX" when bits and pieces can be sourced from anywhere, anywhere down the supply chain.
So I buy a new Ford car, which has the leather sourced from Brazil, the wood from India, the rubber for the tyres from Belize, the aluminium from a smelter in Mexico that imports its ore from the Surinam.
The stereo is made in Japan, the speakers come from Germany using gallium magnets made in India from raw materials mined in Kenya.

Now, is that according to your definition an American made car or not?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2014 4:27:27 AM PST
joaniepony® says:
J.T.
I agree, I don't fret about where the products I buy, originate, as long as they are well made. I don't want to be mislead, by a Brand name , claiming to be made in the USA (you pay more for the lie). UGG Australia footwear is made in China. That would be like buying gas for my car and making sure the oil was pumped from US soil.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2014 4:56:25 AM PST
I agree, but maybe your expectation of what constituted "made in USA" was different from that of the person you spoke to.
If she assumed "made in USA" means "assembled in USA" and you mean "components sourced from USA", you're both right.

And maybe that person herself was simply misled, looking up the "made in USA" logo on the box, which has no legal standing whatsoever.
For example Fender guitars puts (or used to, there was some backlash over it) it on their boxes containing guitars made in Mexico.
When challenged, their defense was two fold: 1) the boxes themselves WERE made in the USA (yes...) and 2) the guitars were packaged into the boxes in the USA.
Customers were less than amused.

Same problem plays in Germany with their "Gruener Punkt" symbol for eco-friendly products. Turns out it only indicates the actual thing it's put on. You could have a container of highly toxic material and put that logo on it, if only the container were bio degradable.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2014 5:29:46 AM PST
joaniepony® says:
J.T.

I bought an expensive food scale made in Switzerland, then all of a sudden it was made in China~~~ I really don't care~~Just don't do "Bait and Switch". There was a time when we were supposed to shun "Made in Japan". I don't pay for "Labels" I pay for quality.

Posted on Feb 26, 2014 6:28:43 AM PST
I know. But many people are rather anal about it, won't even buy something built in country A if the factory is owned by a company based in country B...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2014 11:30:32 AM PST
joaniepony® says:
you never know if you are getting the "Real Thing"~~
Kopi Luwak 100% Pure Wild & Organic Medium Roast Robusta Whole Civet Coffee Beans - (4 ounces/113 grams) - Roasted in the USA Imported From the Philippines ~~ this product is often counterfeited !!! YES!! I did read an article about this crime.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2014 1:21:53 AM PST
yup. Technically AFAIK it's not even supposed to be called Kopi Luak (the correct spelling) unless it's from Indonesia or Malaysia and roasted there.
And even most of it that's on sale there is no doubt counterfeit, saw more on shelves just in Jakarta's airport duty free shops than I'd imagine the entire yearly production to be :)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2014 6:32:19 AM PST
joaniepony® says:
JT,

I guess I must get a little anal, when I get picky , about what country my Kopi Luwak
Beans are gathered from. I wonder if gathering those type of beans, pays a substantial salary!

Posted on Feb 27, 2014 8:08:11 AM PST
GW™ says:
Excuse me people.......but I am looking for Elephant Dung Coffee Beans.

I KNOW they exist, but I can't remember the exact brand.
Amazon wasn't helpful AT ALL......especially when I insisted that the beans come from
the dung of AMERICAN Elephants deposited & gathered right here in the good ol' USofA.

I think they are a little sensitive about all the products they sell that are made by the hands of
five year old children forced to slave away in Asian sweat shops for 7¢ and a quarter cup of rice
per day.

btw......the country of origin of the dung-producing elephants is immaterial to me....... as long as they are here LEGALLY & hold a valid green card.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2014 12:32:34 AM PST
" I wonder if gathering those type of beans, pays a substantial salary! "

Probably not by European or American standards (though they probably get paid decently by local standards).
And that's the problem with such questions, a 'substantial wage' might be $150 a month in a country where the average person makes the equivalent of $100 a month and can live decently from that (which in many countries is the case).
To us that seems ridiculously low, being used to having to pay $1500+ in rent or mortgage a month and everything else similarly expensive.

As usual the majority of profit is made by neither the farmers/collectors or the stores selling it but by the handlers in the middle of the supply chain.
A $50 pack might bring the store $5 and the farmer $0.50...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2014 5:33:36 AM PST
joaniepony® says:
J.T.

Wadda bout the poor little civit? Are they caged?

Posted on Mar 11, 2014 8:29:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 31, 2014 10:46:29 PM PDT
A.D. says:
I am editing this to note that Dacor brand microwaves are the only ones currently made or assembled in the USA.

For over-the-range, I know Samsung microwaves are made in Malaysia and include certain models made for GE. Sharp microwaves, including some of the countertop versions, are made in Thailand and include models made for Viking, Bertrazzoni, and Frigidaire Gallery.

All other microwaves I know of are now made in China.

It appears that globally, there are very few microwave manufacturers, and the number is diminishing.

For product labeling, there is one legal definition for "made in the USA" and a different one for "assembled in the USA."

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2014 4:14:17 AM PDT
Joanie, historically not, that was the point. The beans were eaten by wild animals, and collected from their dung by the local villagers, cleaned, roasted, and used to brew coffee.

By now, given the production volume, I'd not be surprised if there are indeed farms out there where civets are kept in cages and fed a diet of pretty much only coffee berries.

Posted on Jun 3, 2014 6:58:06 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 3, 2014 6:58:42 AM PDT
Lincoln R. says:
Dacor microwaves are 'assembled' in the USA but I repaired one once and it would appear that many of the parts are from Sharp, who makes most of their microwaves in Thailand with a lot of Chinese parts (I recently opened a Sharp microwave to clean it out - the electronic control, fan motor, turntable motor, HV transformer, and capacitor were all made in China, the magnetron was made by Sharp in Thailand, origin of other parts wasn't explicitly labeled). Once upon a time (at least as late as '05) Sharp assembled some of their microwaves in Memphis, TN but even then they were labeled as "Made in USA with Imported Components" or something and probably contained mostly foreign-made parts since I think many of the parts needed to build a microwave simply aren't made here anymore. My current microwave is an Amana Radarange from 1985, it's labeled "Made in USA" but still uses a Toshiba magnetron from Japan (not that there's anything wrong with that, just pointing out that even in the 'good old days' this stuff wasn't 100% USA made).

To make a long story short, "Not Made in China" is doable as long as you realize that there will probably be at least a few Chinese parts (even if they're just screws or the light bulb). As has been stated earlier, Sharp builds a lot of microwaves in Thailand, Samsung builds a lot in Malaysia, and those two do at least some degree of manufacturing for other brands. To the best of my knowledge, "Made in USA" is not doable at sane prices (To me, Dacor is excessively expensive for what comes down to foreign-made Sharp components assembled somewhere in the US. You're not paying for American labor or quality, you're paying for a name).

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2014 7:19:31 AM PDT
joaniepony® says:
Linc,

I'm sure it is the same with any electronic device. It makes economic sense to tool up just one company to manufacture a part. I know I paid for the "Name" when I bought a Viking portable induction cooktop. I called the company to inquire where they were made ,and the represenitive told me the US. "They" can tell you anything they want on the "phone". I was dumb enough to believe them. Viking no longer puts their "Name" on the portable induction cooktops.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Cooking forum (843 discussions)

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  18
Initial post:  May 15, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 3, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions