Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

Are Neoflam pans safe to use?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-19 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 31, 2011 11:17:45 AM PST
benshe says:
An Israely TV program found high levels of Lead and Cadmium in Neoflam products. For example:
Healthy pot - Green - Naoflm - 0 lead 116.7 Cadmium
Healthy wok - Red - Naoflm - Cadmium 40.5 237.7 Lead
Square orange skillet - Naoflm - Lead 223 Cadmium 44.6
Yellow pan for pancakes - Naoflm - Cadmium 62.1 158.9 Lead
Orange pot - Naoflm - Cadmium 25.1 409.2 Lead
Square orange skillet - Naoflm - Cadmium 828 Lead 321.4
Pan led - red - Naoflm - Cadmium Lead 161.1 999.4
numbers in PPM.
As I own several Neoflam products I would like to understand if they are safe to use or not...

Posted on Jan 12, 2012 7:56:26 PM PST
L. Tsadik says:
I don't think you have the right to publish something like this, without knowing 100% that what you write is true.

The FACT is, that Neoflam international is suing Kolbotek (the TV show).

On the Neoflam Australia website I found the FDA approval and test results.
I truly do not think the FDA is stupid, who do you trust? the FDA or a TV show? I think the answer is, they are SAFE.

Posted on Jan 12, 2012 11:21:20 PM PST
and not just that, those numbers mean nothing as they're not qualified.
"Cadmium 828"? 828 what? What's the scientifically agreed upon safety limit for Cadmium under the conditions used in the test? How was it tested in the first place?

It's quite simple: if the metal of the pan were to contain 828 micrograms of Cadmium per kilogram of metal, that'd be nothing. It'd be even more inconsequential as the pans are no doubt coated with paint on the outside and an anti-stick coating on the inside, sealing in any contaminations in the metal.
Even better, the contaminations are quite unlikely to ever leech out of the metal into your food in any dangerous amounts even were the pan not to be coated.
If however there were a level of say 828 milligrams of Cadmium detected per serving of food prepared in the pan, things might be different. But that's so unlikely, if it were reported by that television show I'd expect the makers of the show to have deliberately poisoned the test samples so as to inflate the results of the toxicology test (maybe they were sponsored by a competitor? Or by an anti-Israeli political group? Such things have happened in the past).

Posted on Jan 13, 2012 2:39:43 AM PST
benshe says:
1. I have every right to ask questions that relate to the health of my family, if there is no problem with the products please go ahead and show the proof. I will be the first to thank you as I own several pans that cost me quite a bit and I'm currently not using because of my uncertainty regarding their safety.
2. Can you please post a link to the FDA approval you mentioned. Mentioning that there is some web site without a link is meaningless. actually, the respond I got from the FDA when I sent them an question email is vague: "Dear Mr. xxxxxx, the components of food contact items must be approved. This is not an approval for the finished product just the components. We don't comment to outside articles or broadcasts."
3. 828 is in PPM (parts per milion), there is no reason why any Cadmium traces should appear in cookware that comes in touch with food. Please go ahead and browse for cadmium and cookware..., as an example you can go to the following site: http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hl-vs/iyh-vsv/prod/cook-cuisinier-eng.php which states: "In Canada, glazed ceramics and glassware are regulated and cookware made of these materials can not be sold, advertised or imported if it releases more than trace amounts of lead and cadmium. Products having greater than the allowable levels of lead and cadmium must be identified by a label indicating the presence of lead and/or cadmium, or by a design feature such as a hole or a mounting hook, indicating that they should not be used for food.". If you don't have a problem eating cadmium then I will not stop you, all I ask is a warning for those who do care.
3. In contrat to the previous comments, I do not work at neoflam and have no interest in my comments, exept to undersstand if the products are safe. please give a link that indeed FDA approves neoflam products if such an approval exists.

Posted on Jan 13, 2012 4:51:27 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jan 13, 2012 12:12:08 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 15, 2012 8:47:15 PM PST
L. Tsadik says:
why don't you go to the Australian website ( here is a link: http://www.neoflam.com.au/certification ).
I understand that Israel does not have a "standard", regarding this issue, but I am sure the FDA or the European union does have one.
You can also check the Israeli website ( http://www.neoflam.co.il/) and see that they have put up all the certification from the FDA,EU,Canada, and funny enough there is a link to a news article where they took the pots and pans to be tested in a private lab, and the results where that they where clean.

So it sounds to me like this Kolbotek TV show (I heard it is normally good and informative) was or paid to make this mess or it did not check its fact correctly.

Do some research your self and tell me what you think, I find it hard to believe that a company will get EU certification, Canadian certification, and FDA approval, if any of these poisons where in the coating.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012 12:06:07 AM PDT
ornitte says:
The Kolbotek TV show tested different brands, not only Neoflam, and said that certain brands contained the heavy metals, but they could not release the names for legal reasons. I believe the lesson from this is to buy only Neoflam and not imitation brands.

Posted on May 7, 2012 2:02:49 AM PDT
Georgedc says:
don't buy it!

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2012 9:08:41 PM PDT
Pearl Bates says:
She is just asking a question.
She is concerned for her safety.
Don't be a bully.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2012 12:04:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 8, 2012 12:04:59 PM PDT
Josh Kyden says:
@Pearl Bates
You say "She is just asking a question."

What question is she, I assume you mean benshe, asking?
The original post is a statement not a question. I can see how you would make that mistake as "I would like to understand if they are safe to use or not..." could be misinterpreted as a question but it clearly is not because, let's face it, "I would like" be it world peace, a billion dollars or whatever is a statement about what I would like, nothing more. Further, judging by the follow up post the decision as to whether the products are safe or not has already been made so I conclude the original post was intended to be gossip as it contains a minimum of actual information and singles out only one product mentioned in "the Israely[sic] TV show"

There is no problem with her being concerned for her safety but I don't think anyone has been a bully, although some folks appear to be more skeptical about what gets shown on TV. Perhaps they remember when Dateline, an NBC news show, went about blowing up a Chevy pickup truck in the 90s to prove the trucks were dangerous in a side impact collision.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2012 5:29:33 AM PDT
Why would anyone trust the FDA at this point? The corporations who make the products they approve are viewed as their clients. Their clients are not consumers who they are supposed to be protecting. Vioxx killed approximately 500,000 Americans alone and Merck "voluntarily" took it off the market. You could look at so many different products that have been approved with almost no regard for the American public. Google Monsanto.

The FDA is the last organization that I'd trust other than the corporation which manufactures the product.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2012 7:48:56 PM PDT
Pearl Bates says:
to Josh Kyden,
My remark was not productive,

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2012 1:33:53 PM PDT
Pearl Bates says:
You are correct... most of us do not understand what the FDA is about.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2012 11:21:26 PM PDT
Leigh B. says:
Without going into great detail (too tired at the moment, do your own research), I would trust the TV show before the FDA. The title of an article in the New York Times says it ALL: "FDA: Watchdog or Lapdog?" The FDA is notorious for laziness, sloppiness, and catering to the whims of the very food, drug & cosmetic companies it is supposed to police. Kol tuv!--Ms. Tsaddikah.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 2:21:09 PM PST
agree with you!

Posted on May 9, 2013 10:33:46 PM PDT
Aline Luong says:
Neoflam Eela Coocware sets (18cm sauce pan, 20cm pot, 24cm low pot, 24cm deep pot and 26cm deep pot) + 28cm fry pan

Posted on Nov 28, 2013 9:58:03 AM PST
Rev Carndoch says:
Is is cool in America to abuse people's opinions?

Posted on Nov 29, 2013 5:37:11 AM PST
Among a certain internet population (popularly known as "trolls" in the common vernacular), it does seem to be "cool" to abuse people - AND their opinions.

It also seems to be cool to ignore scientific method, factual reporting, and rational evaluation when discussing the urban myth du jour.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2013 8:58:31 AM PST
yes, and then call those who point out that you're doing so trolls...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Cooking forum (847 discussions)

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  19
Initial post:  Dec 31, 2011
Latest post:  Dec 6, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions