Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

Thanksgiving...........2012 Whatcha Cookin'?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 115 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 5, 2012 8:06:22 AM PST
GW™ says:
Let's start fresh.

You making the same ol' same ol' or do you have a surprise up your sleeve?

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 8:10:43 AM PST
GW™ says:
I just found out I am having the TG dinner this year.
I was gonna do the same old boring things but maybe you have a fresh idea.
I know people LIKE the usual favorites but I'd like to slip in something to wow the gathering. Any suggestions?

I'm especially stuck on dessert.
I am WAY too afraid to try a homemade pie but the thought of a frozen Mrs Smith's depresses me.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 8:56:12 AM PST
joaniepony® says:
Gina,

You can make pumpkin custard~~It is made with the same filling as a pie, only you bake it in a bath .

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 9:06:26 AM PST
My family is rabidly attached to tradition. I wonder if it's because we were navy and moved all the time, but family traditions stayed the same? Anyway, I can experiment the other 363 days of the year, Thanksgiving and Christmas stay the same.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 9:30:54 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2012 9:54:38 AM PST
GW™ says:
OOOOOh DAT sounds good, P....kinda like Crem Broolee-ay?

Does that mean I have permission to buy one of THESE?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 9:41:58 AM PST
GW™ says:
I KNOW, Becky.....

Everyone LOVES their cranberry in the shape of an Ocean Spray can....rings & all.
They call the rings the "slicing guides."

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 10:23:39 AM PST
LOL, too funny! For us it's sugary sam's yams.. from a can! I'm so ashamed LOL

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 11:11:16 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2012 11:12:15 AM PST
joaniepony® says:
So now yor're back to the blow torch!!!wadda bout the million quart mixer? I say shudup and just Cook!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 1:27:50 PM PST
MommaCat says:
How about twice baked sweet potatoes? I made them last year and they were soooo good! And you can make em ahead. What more do ya want? Best of all, for those that gotta have the marshmallows, you can put em on, and the rest don't have to have them.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 1:31:14 PM PST
MommaCat says:
Oh and how about adding natural applesauce to real cranberries? When they pop, take them off the stove, let them cool, then add applesauce. You don't have to add as much sugar that way.

Add as a btw, did you know that cranberries come to you unwashed? Ick and yeah. So dump them in a colander and rinse em off if you do buy them fresh.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 1:48:10 PM PST
GW™ says:
Well Beck, it's like you say....can't mess with the time-honored favorites.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 1:53:44 PM PST
GW™ says:
Hey Miss Pony....what GOES around COMES around....whatever THAT means.

Anyway, when my boyfriend DUMPED ME I had a Saul-like conversion & have come home to my first love........(ok, my SECOND LOVE) cooking.

I DO want the Ho-Ho-Ho from Santa this year.
Gina is willing to sit on Santa's lap (or do WHATEVER it TAKES) to get that MIXER under my tree this year.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 2:02:13 PM PST
GW™ says:
Mom,
Do you put them in their widdle sweet po-tater jackets?
Sounds like just the ticket. I don't like the marshmallows but there are some who do. That would solve the problem.

Is the recipe online? Don't want you to go to all the trouble to write it out.
I can check on A-R....they might have a recipe.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 2:06:00 PM PST
GW™ says:
Good to know, Mom....but like I say, everyone wants Ocean Spray Jellied. Of course I *could* give them the option!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 2:10:31 PM PST
We do the exploded cranberries... haha, love it when it pops all over! Sometimes the kitchen looks like a scene from dexter. We're purists though, cranberries, sugar, water. My mom makes some awful cranberry salad with walnuts and orange rinds and raw cranberries, but it seems popular.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 2:14:47 PM PST
MommaCat says:
Handle them just like you would any baked potato. If you have a favorite recipe, use it.

I mash up the sweet potatoes with a little brown sugar and cinnamon. My fam won't give up pineapple mixed in and I add a little pineapple juice. Then just mound the filling back into the skins and re-heat. Add marshmallows as needed : )

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 2:16:16 PM PST
MommaCat says:
Love the explosion! That salad sounds gro..um interesting!

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 2:38:05 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 5, 2012 2:45:22 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 2:41:10 PM PST
joaniepony® says:
Gina,
Whadda bout this one Globe Food 8 Qt Gear Driven Mixer w/ 3 Fixed Speeds?
This is what I'm saving my pennies for Globe C12 Commercial 12" Deli Meat Food Slicer, Light Duty Belt Driven

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 2:44:31 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2012 2:52:44 PM PST
GW™ says:
Oh I have a recipe kinda like that, Becky...with walnuts that get soggy & mini marshmallows.
No one likes it so I never make it.

More popular is a "salad" I guess you'd call it, called Heavenly Hash. (some call it Ambrosia)

A mix of custard, fruit, whipped cream, & marshmallows. Really more like a dessert.
Kind of a pain to make & I only do it if I have a huge crowd....which I rarely do these days.
VERY fattening & very rich. Addictive tho.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 2:45:33 PM PST
GW™ says:
Well THAT sounds good, Mom. And I like the MAKE AHEAD aspect of them.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 2:46:27 PM PST
MommaCat says:
Absolutely. You can make it the day before and stick it in the oven on TDay.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 2:52:22 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2012 2:53:37 PM PST
GW™ says:
Nah.....too tall for my appliance garage, Pony. Besides, the HOBART will accept my Kitchen Aid Meat Grinder, Pasta attachments, etc etc.
I've already checked with Ho-Ho.

Lemme know when you are gonna take the PLUNGE & we'll do it together. Although, I would like mine before the holidays.
I was just over at the site & there is free shipping. PLUS I have $195 in reward points. Not sure about tax.....didn't get THAT far but I'm sure Cap'n Moonbem wants his "pound of flesh."

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 6:50:51 PM PST
Well es'cuse me but marshmallows have NO place in anything except hot cocoa. I said so and that makes in right and not only right but true too.
Just ask me if you don't believe me.

We do traditional.
Turkey is not of Puff's llist of favorite foods but on Thanksgiving it's the one and only thing the fam. wants and enjoys.
Mashed potatoes made with butter AND sour cream, cranberries whole, cranberry relish and those gourmet Ocean Spray cranberries from a can sliced using the "slicing guides", pickles (I don't know why they always have to have those), sausage stuffing, gravy and a green salad.
Apple and pumpkin pie for desert with whipped cream.

We have sweet potatoes, usually baked and with butter only - often and all year long so nobody thinks of them as something special for T'giving.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 4:18:37 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2012 4:19:29 AM PST
I can't deal with the sweet potato casserole with marshmallows and sugar. I don't like the sweet glazed carrots either.

Although that does remind me that I meant to look up sara moulton's recipe for hot chocolate and home made marshmallows, she did an episode with those and they looked so good!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Cooking forum (847 discussions)

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  115
Initial post:  Nov 5, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 9, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions