Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

Lead in china dishes

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 38 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 30, 2009 8:29:52 AM PST
cheryl rose says:
Warning...the lead in dishes can ruin your micowave!! I clean my microwave by filling a small clear glass bowl full of water and add some lemon juice, set on high for 5 minutes. This fills the oven with steam and makes it easy to clean. This has worked for years, but a few days ago I used a small white bowl filled with water and it broke the glass turn table and melted part of the arm under the turn table, plus cracked the bowl. The bowl was made in China and came from Pier 1, when I examined the bowl I could see silver all around the bottom lip. I am guessing lead, and when it got really hot it caused the glass to break and melted the plastic arm.

The parts cost almost as much as a new oven, so am out the cost of an oven. Lesson learned, use only clear glass in the microwave.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2009 10:29:14 AM PST
Thank you for sharing that, I clean my microwave the same way, and I guess I have been lucky so far. I am sorry you lost yours. I have started using Polish pottery because it is said to be lead free.
But also while on the subject of Microwaves, I read somewhere that seeds watered with microwaved water will not germinate whereas the seeds from the same package and watered with unmicrowaved water germinate. That said, I tend to question myself every time I am about to use the microwave, is there another way to heat whatever it is(?). I find I now only use my microwave once or twice a week.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2009 2:07:23 PM PST
http://www.snopes.com/science/microwave/plants.asp

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2009 7:20:08 PM PST
That's odd. It does make you wonder about what's in the dishes we use.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2009 8:26:09 AM PST
joaniepony® says:
in the beginning of microwave home cooking, most dinnerware was not labeled, but told you how to test for compatibility,fill the dish,cup,bowl,etc, 1/3 with water when the water is heated feel for heat at the top of the container (which I did). I had some expensive stoneware (made in the US) and it exploded ( I forgot to test) soon after most were marked with "Micro Safe". The gold band and decorations on chinaware was not compatibile,and twister tapes caused flare-ups. For some reason micros aren't as senseitive. Many items are marked safe and unsafe. Lead is unsafe because it leaches into the food. My stoneware contained some type of metal in the mixture.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2009 3:01:35 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 1, 2009 3:24:19 PM PST
NewsView says:
True enough, metal of any kind -- including that found in certain pottery glazes -- don't agree with microwave ovens (needs to say "microwave safe" on the underside, and even then some still break).

Ceramic can also explode because of air pockets trapped in the clay during the manufacturing process. The bubbles typically burst during firing, but some of them apparently don't. I've even had this happen, ironically enough, when burning tea lights in tea light holders sold by Hallmark. It seems to be the risk you run when mixing pottery/ceramic items with heat.

As for the lead content, in California we have what is known as a Prop 65 warning posted in every store that sells crystal, china and stoneware items to alert consumers to this very real danger. Lead is not uncommon in ceramic glazes on decorative pottery, but in items manufactured for food consumption it should not be an issue. The fact that something sold for food use contained lead should be brought to Pier 1's attention (corporate level, preferably). Lead has been linked to diminished IQ (particularly in children), learning disabilities, criminality (suggested by studies on lead content in the blood samples drawn from prison populations) and even death in Third World nations where local economies recycle scrap metals from computers, appliances and spent car batteries shipped from the US and Europe. Long before the dangers of lead were known, it was not uncommon for very wealthy to drink and eat from lead chalices and similar serving ware. For this reason, some historians speculate that gradual lead poisoning is what drove some of the Roman emperors, among others, mad. Not that any of that is likely to happen nowadays, but just the same I wouldn't store my tomato juice or OJ in fine lead crystal in the refrigerator (LOL).

I too clean my microwave with water and vinegar to steam the interior. Thanks for the reminder not to chance it with ceramic items. I'm sticking to the Pyrex custard dish I typically use.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2009 8:52:32 PM PST
coeur vide says:
I have quite a few pier 1 dish sets and have to admit that I am disappointed that so much of their stuff is made in China. I remember when it was a novelty to have it 'look' Chinese and actually come from there, now even stuff that looks like it comes from another country entirely, is made there. Much of their stuff is not dishwasher safe and hasn't been for a long time. Now I make the decision if I REALLY want it when I see a product is made in china or the new pc term is (made in the prc). sad but true :o(

Make sure you read the bottom of your cookware to see what the limitations of it are :-( you might be surprised. I would hate to see a similar thing that has happened to cheryl happen to anyone else :o(

Posted on Feb 12, 2009 1:38:39 PM PST
Hubba Bubba says:
Made in China - Save a buck, loose a job & the quality is normally crap and could even kill you!

The other problem is the lead can leach out of the finish & into your foods, so even if your dishes survive the microwave, you may not survive the lead dishes! (regardless of where made, lead in the finish can leach out and into you, & not just from being in the microwave)

Not to say that all US products are better (think products with peanuts in them right now) where the pull of the $, yen or euro is more important then the humans that use or consume what they make, lead finish, lead paints, poisons in the milk products, deadly bacteria in the food, cheaply made POS, ...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2009 11:28:21 AM PST
L. Gilmer says:
You are absolutely right! I NEVER EVER buy any food touching item (plates, service pieces, utility items, etc.) made in China. Their stuff is just not safe.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2009 11:23:07 AM PST
gizmo's mom says:
This is why I make my own ceramic plates. I know what is in my glaze and don't trust anything made in China anymore. It costs me 5x more to make my stuff than what China charges but I know that mine is safe so I don't mind the cost. I am finding that some of my customers are starting to appreciate that fact also. I don't know how long we Americans are going to put up with unsafe products.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2009 7:50:08 PM PST
i use china and fine bone china cups most are from england are they in the clear? i do have mugs from china makes me worried what else i have that has lead in it, i will be thinking of that when i drink or eat but glad you put it out there and glad i came across it ...i just happened to be looking for royal bunnykins mugs

Posted on Mar 10, 2009 10:25:40 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 10, 2009 10:37:33 PM PDT
T. R. says:
Buy Corelle brand dinnerware.

Buy the original stuff that's made out of three layers of glass not the stoneware. It's made in the U.S. and lasts forever. I mix and match my "Callaway" style with the plain white "Enhancement" style. Also, what I like is that you can store lots more in the cabinet because they're thinner and more lightweight but still very durable (within reason). There are lots of different pieces to pick from. I have all kinds of stuff, from the 8" inch dessert bowl to the 12 1/2 inch serving platter.

I use them all the time in the microwave and have never had a problem.

I got rid of all my stoneware mugs and dinnerware and other things made in other countries. Now I just buy Corelle.

I've never actually tested them for lead but I think things made of glass are usually safe and I would trust U.S. stuff more.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2009 10:00:27 PM PDT
F. Lubitz says:
Isn't Corelle made from melamine?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2009 10:24:41 PM PDT
CORELLE® dinnerware is created through a very special glass lamination process which thermally bonds two clear "skin" layers of glass to a white or beige "core" layer. This proprietary technique is unique to CORELLE, in fact we invented it! Beware of other so called "break resistant" dishes.
copied from Corelle Web page

Posted on Mar 12, 2009 3:12:33 AM PDT
Bundtlust says:
Personally, I avoid *everything* made in China if possible (especially after reading A Year Without Made In China). All of my dishes are either Fiesta (made by Homer Laughlin in the good old USA and lead-and-cadmium-free), Emile Henry (made in France, lead-free), or Polish pottery. Yes, you will certainly pay more, but these makers produce high-quality dishes that are microwave-safe and will last you for many years of daily use.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2009 6:04:07 PM PDT
M. Goldstein says:
I was about to suggest Fiesta Ware.
I even managed to pick up some "seconds" where the color was not perfect for $2 for the large serving dishes!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2009 12:02:15 PM PDT
alijk says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2009 2:45:21 PM PDT
Sista Cyn says:
We buy "Made In America" even if we have to pay a little more. Why? Two reasons. First, the problem with many different types of products made in China/PRC or India or Mexico or ? (outside the US) is the content and quality standards are not what is required in the US. Remember the problem a major American toy company had a few years ago with lead tainted toys? Remember the tainted formula babies in China were getting sickened and dying from? Employee benefits, minimum wage, and competent business inspectors cost money which relates directly to the cost of the product. Solution: Pay the price or take a big chance on safety. Second, let's not forget how many jobs have been exported to foreign countries. Joblessness in our area is 11% right now. Many of the jobless are head of households. We believe Americans need to strongly consider these two points before buying goods and taking credit cards with many of the large companies who have built entire cities in foreign countries for enormous private financial gains, while taking away American jobs and standards. I love Pier 1 style but at what cost?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2009 5:23:40 PM PDT
Cat C. says:
I agree with you wholeheartedly. The frustrating part is how much merchandise in most stores is made in China, etc. I just looked at various items in Penney's and Macy's and almost everything is made in China, and it is expensive. When one considers the lack of ethics that seem to be rampant in industry, coupled with the fact that they build things to become quickly obsolete, it really seems like we need a "revolution" and demand that products be safe and built well..and made right here. I would rather pay more for a good product made here than a bit less for a possibly dangerous and poorly made product. Thanks so much for everyone's thoughtful comments!

Posted on Mar 16, 2009 6:09:32 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 16, 2009 6:23:15 PM PDT
Karin Flynn says:
Thank you Chery! for confirming what I have suspected for a long time. Some of the colors in China Made ceramics couldn't be obtained
without a lead additive. Made in China dishware is so cheap to purchase that it brings about the question how can it be produced for the retail price? I realize that the price is based on volume, it is also based on cheap materials and labor. The latter combined with no regulations (free to trade in junk) in the U.S. has made too many imported products unsafe. There used to be regulations prohibiting contaminant materials from being used to make products that come in contact with food. Fiesta actually used cobalt to produce the cobalt blue glaze - in the 1920's. U.S.Companies willingly complied in removing contaminants from their products. Who is checking the Chinese Imports?

Posted on Mar 16, 2009 8:38:24 PM PDT
Joan Hogan says:
Try frankoma.com for genuine american made pottery. Oven and micro safe, great designs, but look for yourself. Keep americans employed and buy some nice pottery. The factory in Sapulpa, Oklahoma is well worth a stop if you are in the area.

Posted on Mar 18, 2009 12:52:16 AM PDT
esseyo says:
"Made in China" is dangerous? I think if you are really concerned, you should be concerned on how something is made and not where it is made. Just because it says "made in the US" doesn't mean it is safe. To make blanket statements like "Polish pottery is all good" seems insupportable to me.

I also question how anyone can say avoid foreign (as in non-American, non-European) products when the very computers they are typing on probably have most of their parts made in Asia at prices we enjoy.

Posted on Apr 11, 2009 9:04:17 AM PDT
Texas Tea says:
In the microwave, I'll use nothing unless it says it's safe in there. Any dishes that are NOT made for use in a microwave are not eligible to be taken back! You use at your own peril!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 7, 2011 7:25:29 AM PDT
Gailfm says:
My china-made dishes do say safe for microwave and dishwasher, but the glaze is off in some spots nonetheless.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 7, 2011 8:04:04 PM PDT
charlott says:
I dropped two Corell cereal bowls in years apart. It shattered into tiny pieces and inadvently some of them pricked through my legs (I worn shorts most of the time at home). I found more than 15 little bleeding spots all over my legs. Talk about break resistance. As for microwave, I only chose all white inside ceramic/glass dishes. I am not sure if the outside has paint would it leach to inside when microwave?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  35
Total posts:  38
Initial post:  Jan 30, 2009
Latest post:  Mar 25, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions