Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

"Quiet" Induction Cookware, please!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 109 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 20, 2012 12:40:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 20, 2012 1:53:55 PM PDT
CMK says:
Hi,
I'm new to induction cooking and love it, but I'm having trouble finding stainless steel cookware that does not buzz with increasing power to the point of a high pitch noise that is not tolerable! (It hurts ears and the brain!) I know that cast iron does not have this problem, but I find the cookware too heavy in everyday cooking. I'm looking for medium weight stainless steel. (The All-Clad d5 is also very heavy i.m.o.)
Thank you for any suggestion!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 1:54:46 PM PDT
ReginaLiz says:
The problem may also have something to do with your induction cooktop - I have a GE induction range. I use Marcus stainless steel and only get occasional buzzing, never enough to be a problem, and sometimes just moving it, or moving the lid, will take care of it. The Marcus line has been discontinued but you may be able to scour around and find some pieces at good prices - check all the online cookware sources. The quality is said to be comparable to All-Clad but I find the handles much more comfortable. It's on the heavy side but nothing like cast iron! Oh, and Made in USA. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 7:54:02 PM PDT
CMK says:
Thanks for your reply, Regina. I don't know if it's the induction cooktop. I have a brand new Electrolux unit and used a Max Burton countertop unit the past few weeks, while waiting for the E-lux. Both cause the pots and pans to buzz. (I currently own 5 pieces of induction cookware, all different brands, and they all buzz!) I tried moving the pots while cooking, and adjusting the lids, but it doesn't help. It clearly is related to the strength of the magnetic field - the higher, the louder the "noise". I called E-lux today to get a recommendation for cookware, but the person could not help me. I would think that others have this issue, but induction cooking is not used widely in the U.S. I think.

Well, I'll keep experimenting with different cookware. Hopefully I won't have to go to all cast iron - which does not make the noise, I've tried it w/ one heavy pot I own.

Thanks again!

Posted on Mar 21, 2012 1:39:37 AM PDT
WakkyWabbit says:
Mine is very loud!

Posted on May 11, 2012 5:23:55 AM PDT
Elaine Radin says:
Is anyone using a wolf I diction cooktop? I am thinking of getting one.

Posted on May 11, 2012 5:24:32 AM PDT
Elaine Radin says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on May 11, 2012 12:01:49 PM PDT
Boston Bean says:
I have two table top induction cookers. One is the new PIC unit made by the NuWave company, and the other is an Ultrex unit. Neither of them buzz using the various induction pots and pans that I own. Even when I use my induction interface plate, that allows me to use non-inducion cookware on my induction cooker, have I encountered any buzzing. The only sound I eve hear is from the fan inside the unit itself.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 5:08:42 PM PDT
CMK says:
I am pretty sure now that the buzzing noise has to do with the pots and not with the induction cooktops (no matter what brands). Different cookware sounds different on the same cooktop and burner. I read somewhere that it has to do with the different metals used, and if there is too much "space" to move for the metal ions when the induction unit generates the magnetic field, you hear the buzzing. I have found that the more metals (multi-clad cookware models), the higher pitched and louder the buzzing noise at high power.

I own a brandnew Electrolux induction cooktop now, and I love it and absolutely love the cooking experience! I have tried a variety of induction cookware brands and have found, that Italian and German brand pots I found at Marshall's and TJ Maxx buzz the least! Perhaps this is because induction cooking has been more prevalent in Europe for a longer time now.

Posted on May 13, 2012 12:14:04 AM PDT
mit_banana says:
We use Ikea 360 and it works well for us.

Posted on May 14, 2012 2:24:11 PM PDT
S. Kessler says:
I recently bought the Max Burton portable induction burner Max Burton 6200 Deluxe 1800-Watt Induction Cooktop to cook hot pots at the table. The induction disk I bought with it did not work with my Emile Henry dutch oven (not enough juice, I guess), so I wound up buying a Le Creuset Heritage Chef's Oven (enameled cast iron) from Williams Sonoma (not sold on Amazon), which works perfectly with the induction burner. No buzz at all. Just soft whirring of the fan.

Posted on May 15, 2012 9:04:27 AM PDT
I use a GE induction range and have no problem with noise. I use BEKA ceramica and Circulon infinite frypans and Tramontina, JA Henckels international pans mainly. Might be surface irregularity or residue on pan or surface. Try putting a paper towel between pan and surface and see if noise repeats itself.

Posted on May 15, 2012 2:21:48 PM PDT
Chantal Copper Fusion, Silit, Staub, & De Buyer carbon Steel Fry Pan are all very quiet

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 6:38:30 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 1, 2012 6:49:14 AM PDT
K.E.S. says:
Swiss Diamond nonstick cookware is guaranteed not to "buzz" on your induction stovetop. Make sure you are purchasing the induction model! Swiss Diamond Pressure Cast Aluminum Non Stick Induction Fry Pan, Grey, 8-Inch

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 8:12:54 AM PDT
joaniepony® says:
CMK,
This is the one I'm using nowMax Burton 6500 ProChef 1800-Watt Commercial Induction Cooktop.

I have been using the Max Burton since 2007 (3 different models) and an over-priced Viking. I do my cooking outside on the patio, so I am not aware of any noise. I use the "regular" 3-ply All-Clad cookware.

Posted on Aug 31, 2012 8:58:42 PM PDT
I just bought the NuWav PIC induction and it makes such a high pitched noise it makes cooking with it almost unbearable. It's a really high pitched whining noise that just pierces the back of my skull. I have stainless steel cookware that I am using on it, but the machine makes the noise whether the pan is on it or not.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2012 9:46:01 PM PDT
CMK says:
Hi Stephanie,
The noise I was referring to when I started this discussion is clearly linked to the type of cookware, i.e. it stopps the moment you take the pot off the cooktop. (And I have since found a variety of pots that are much "quieter".) Your cooktop making the high pitched noise even without any pots on it sounds like there is a problem with the appliance itself. It may be defective.

Posted on Aug 31, 2012 11:11:35 PM PDT
OldAmazonian says:
If you listen real close, maybe you can hear the problem:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcranial_magnetic_stimulation

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2012 5:02:46 AM PDT
Is The Martha steward iron cast steel collection too heavy for you as well?

Posted on Sep 5, 2012 7:07:38 PM PDT
CMK says:
OldAmazonian -
I looked over the article and while interesting, I don't think it relates to induction cooking. Induction cooking has been approved for people with pacemakers and other metal parts implanted in the body, because the magnetic field created by the cooktop is not strong enough to have an impact.
As I've experienced it, the very unpleasant effect is due to a very high pitched noise (the higher, the worse) created by certain cookware on the induction cooktop. I may be wrong, but I equate it with devices that emmit high frequency soundwaves to keep rodents etc. away from your home because it causes them discomfort.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2012 10:09:11 PM PDT
I find the buzzing is the stovetop, not the pan, and it is directly related to the cook setting level. The faster you want to cook, the more buzz. This has to do with the oscillating magnetic field that causes the contents of the pan to heat. All the stovetops buzz the higher the setting. Some people are simply more sensitive to the frequency of the buzzing than others and some pans absorb more or less of the noise as well based on the amount of the magnetic field they use. I believe you don't hear it as much with the cast iron because it absorbs more of the magnetic field than lighter pans. You may need to cook slower or switch to heavier steel/iron pans.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 6:32:42 AM PST
lisa poole says:
Hi CMK,
I just ordered an induction range and found that my calphalon pots will not work. Can you tell me the band name of some of the Italian and German pieces you bought at TJMAXX?
Thanks!
LP

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 6:53:26 AM PST
Take a refrigerator magnet in with you--if it sticks to the bottom of the pan it will work. Brands change often at TJ Max. Black Friday is coming up quickly also. My favorites are Tramontina,JAHenckels International,and if you must have non stick, Infinite Circulon. Lodge or vintage cast iron works great too.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 7:27:45 AM PST
joaniepony® says:
JJ,
I have have been cooking on Induction cook-tops for 6 years~~I have an Over-priced Viking and the ever favorite "Max Burton"
I tried my Enameled cast Iron LeCreuset French oven, and it didn't work!! It wasn't the end of the workd~~but I was surprised!!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 8:05:55 AM PST
CMK says:
Hi LP,
The European brands (although the cookware might be made in China) that work great with my induction cooktop are: ROHE, WMF, Berndes, Tramontina, Barazzoni and MEPRA. They are all stainless steel, some with glass tops. I bought them at either TJ Maxx or Marshalls. It will say on the bottom whether they are for induction cooking, but bringing a small magnet to the store is definitely helpful.
Keep checking in with those two stores, as they don't always have them in stock, but the pots and pans keep coming back in. Prices are great, too.
Hope that helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 9:21:33 AM PST
lisa poole says:
Jerry,
Thanks so much for the advice!
Did the magnet test and was really surprised that my set will not work. I love my Calphalon cookware. I could buy an interface for a time but I think I will just give the pieces away and look for those brands!
Lisa
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Cooking forum (851 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Twinkie Temple #4 244 1 day ago
springform pan 10 2 days ago
Pressure Cookers 160 7 days ago
Has anyone actually seen Corning Ware Pyroceram or VISIONS cookware explode? 454 13 days ago
Baking in a Breville Smart Oven 161 17 days ago
Good Toaster Oven Cookwear 26 17 days ago
Anyone Use Eat Your Books? 17 18 days ago
Volts 0 20 days ago
92x24 tablecloth 0 21 days ago
Kindle edition vs actual cookbook 4 24 days ago
An alternative to aluminum foil? 36 24 days ago
pasta express ctc machine recipe needed 30 27 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  50
Total posts:  109
Initial post:  Mar 20, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 15, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 19 customers

Search Customer Discussions