Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

My New Obsession PHYLLO

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-22 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 20, 2012 7:53:15 AM PDT
widowTink says:
Hey there hi there ho there good cooks! My latest obsession is PHYLLO SHEETS, I've used them a few different ways, I just love all those crispy layers surrounding whatever is inside. Looking for new phyllo ideas...what are your favorite ways of using them? Any tips? I've found that a small spray bottle filled with some vegetable oil flavored with a little toasted sesame oil is easy to spritz over the delicate sheets. I tend to tear up the sheets when I use a pastry brush. Thanks All!

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 10:49:08 AM PDT
GW (Gina) says:
I've never used them, Tink.
What should I try?
I don't really care for sweet stuff like baklava....I was thinking more
along the lines of egg rolls or other savory appetizers.

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 10:50:41 AM PDT
GW (Gina) says:
My new obsession is homemade pizza.
It's just so much FUN to experiment with different toppings.

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 10:52:26 AM PDT
GW (Gina) says:
.....and I LOVE to drizzle some of THIS over it as a finishing touch.

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 11:51:49 AM PDT
They make great savories, toppings for pot pies, put them in a muffin tin (layered and buttered) and bake then fill with just about anything LOL.

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 4:38:21 PM PDT
Mattie says:
I stack about 3 sheets and then cut them into strips about 4 inches wide and put some thick meat sauce on the end of each strip, add a chunk of mozzarella and then fold them up in a flag (triangular) fold, brush with olive oil and bake at 400 degrees until deep brown and crispy, kids love them, it's like a hand held pizza.

Mattie
www.inthekitchenwithmattie.com

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 5:03:44 PM PDT
GW (Gina) says:
These thing sound like they should be tried ASAP.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 7:21:23 PM PDT
widowTink says:
My fave stuffing of the moment: brown ground turkey, add shredded cabbage, carrots, chili paste, soy sauce, saute until tender. Roll this stuff in the phyllo sheets (I spray with the oil combo I mentioned in the OP) and bake. I make homemade sweet 'n sour sauce for dipping. We call them "firecrackers".

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 7:27:26 PM PDT
widowTink says:
oooooooooh those pizza thingys sound crazy awesome! tink 'n gina have a new meal idea, eh? I've never tried white truffle oil. Would that be nice for brushing on the pastry sheets too?

Mattie, do you feel it's necessary to brush oil or butter in-between each individual sheet? Doing so I make such a mess tearing up the sheets.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 7:44:42 PM PDT
GW (Gina) says:
Tink,
If you have never tried truffles/or the oil try to taste it first.
I think it's one of those things (like cilantro) that you either LOVE or HATE. No inbetween.

I find that I prefer the WHITE truffle oil to the Black.
It is also divine on pasta, omelettes, sauted mushrooms & potatoes.
I've also been brushing it on my focaccia.

The taste is similar,but different, than mushrooms....so if you love mushrooms you may like the flavor of truffles.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 9:49:51 PM PDT
Mattie says:
parrotheadtink,
I have to admit that I cheated and just dribbled a small bit of melted butter between the sheets, I'm too lazy to use the pastry brush, besides which I usually make more of a mess and they seem too greasy to me when I spread them from edge to edge with butter like they say you should with phyllo.
I've also made up some thick broccoli cheese and done it in them too, all kinds of combos work as long as they're not too wet. Great hand food for parties and you can make up loads of them and freeze them to have on hand.

Mattie
www.inthekitchenwithmattie.com

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2012 11:23:16 AM PDT
LL™ says:
Tink,

I usually use them for layered or rolled baklava or filled with fruit and baked in muffin tins and tied so they look like a gift. I use melted butter which I spread with my hands...

Or as individual or large empanadas, filled with vegetables and cheese (I know, NO cheese for you ;-), like an easy spinach pie.

I have used them for spring rolls. if you cut the sheets in thirds (double sheets) and place your filling in the middle upper part of the sheet, fold it in thirds and roll it, you can also deep fry, they come out crispy and delicious.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2012 11:31:51 AM PDT
widowTink says:
Never had truffles of the non-chocolate kind. I DO luv 'shrooms, all kinds of them, so I have a good feeling about this. Now you really have my interested piqued....I'm going to get me some truffle oil...maybe I can find some trial sizes of the white and black?

I was delighted when I discovered that phyllo treats can be popped in the fridge or frozen for later....they reheat so beautifully! Today I'm making the cabbage/carrot/chili thingys, but I'm using a chicken breast (I just now grilled it on my George Foreman GR10AWHT Champ Grill I jerked it and next I'll shred it and cook it with the veggies. I'm making extras........

Posted on Mar 21, 2012 12:17:55 PM PDT
S. Kessler says:
Greek Spinach Pie is an elemental use of phyllo dough. One of my favorite things to make to bring to pot lucks or for a veggie entree.

Posted on Mar 21, 2012 11:39:29 PM PDT
as suggested above, line muffin tins with ~3 sheets, fill with:
apple, goats cheese & bacon
pear, bleu cheese & chopped candied pecans
pitted dates, manchego, & bacon (again) brushed with dark maple syrup

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2012 9:29:06 AM PDT
GW (Gina) says:
tink,
I like the one in the can but Amazon only sells it with TWO cans.
It does have some negative reviews tho so read them all & try the one that sounds good to you.

There is a company that has a very small bottle that is shaped like a triangle....oh wait, I'll linkie it.

Urbani White Truffle Oil

Search white truffle oil & read the reviews.
The difference seems to be the oil used in the product. Some use olive oil. I use the one with a flavorless oil...I forget what kind, but I'm happy with it so far.

I tried both white & black oils but prefered the white.

Posted on Mar 23, 2012 8:04:31 AM PDT
widowTink says:
Mahalo, Geeeeeee-NA! I'll take your tips to heart. Flavored oils seem a nice way to give my phyllo creations a little oomph. I've been using the Safeway brand of phyllo dough sheets, and this time I actually opened the box to check out the "recipe printed inside". OMG. Mushroom Sausage Strudel....are you kidding me? WOW. Very simple filling with sausage, fresh chopped mushrooms, dijon mustard and thyme, and it calls for sour cream which I will leave out, of course. Mmmmm...that might be the next wave......

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2012 11:48:38 AM PDT
GW (Gina) says:
Well you have fun with your new obsession, Tink.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2012 5:27:15 AM PDT
widowTink says:
I fear my new obsession may make me fat!

Posted on Mar 24, 2012 5:14:54 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 24, 2012 5:17:53 PM PDT
Bundtlust says:
I took a phyllo class, which was a lot of fun (we just used the packaged dough rather than making our own). One tip to cut down on calories: you can spray between layers using fat-free cooking spray. Also, our instructor told us to skip the advice about covering the sheets of phyllo with a damp towel, as this makes them soggy. Instead, we were told to cover the waiting sheets with cling wrap.

I purchased Turkish Bakery Delight, which has a lot of fantastic dishes.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2012 12:12:04 PM PDT
widowTink says:
Kewl!! Why didn't I think of spraying the sheets with a little Pam! That's a great idea, I'll try that next time....Mahalo!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2012 5:50:42 PM PDT
Phyllo Apple Pie

6 medium size Granny Smith Apples
1/4 C apple juice
1/4 C packed light brown sugar
1/3 C white sugar
2 T. all purpose flour
2 T. lemon juice
1/2 t. ground cinnamon
1/4 t. each ground ginger and Nutmeg

5 sheets of phyllo
1 T. melted butter or Margarine
1 T. sugar
Nonstick cooking spray

1. Heat oven to 400 F. Have ready a 9 inch pie plate.

2. Quarter, peel and core apples. Cut quarters into slices. Put apples and remaining filling ingredients into a heavy sauce pan.

3. Cover and cook 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until apples are tender. Spoon into plate and let cool slightly.

4. Lay one sheet phyllo on filling. Dab with melted butter and sprinkle with sugar. Lay second sheet over the first and continue the same way.

5. Gather edges of phyllo to make a ruffled edge. Spray edges and top with cooking spray and sprinkle with sugar.

6. Bake for 12 minutes or until phyllo is golden brown. Serve warm if possible.

* Makes 8 servings, each: 201 Cal,76 mg Sodium.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Cooking forum (867 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  22
Initial post:  Mar 20, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 26, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions