Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

Forbidden Rice?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 48 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 27, 2012 8:40:16 PM PDT
MommaCat says:
I found something new to me today at the grocery store - forbidden rice - it may not be new to you so maybe you can tell me your experience with it. It's so cool! For those that don't know, it's black rice.

Posted on Apr 28, 2012 6:58:17 PM PDT
Victoria L. says:
I saw this product (a type of short, whole-grain, sticky rice) featured in the new Cuisine at Home magazine (May/June 2012). No recipe, but they said:

"To cook, first soak for 30 minutes, then cook for 30 minutes. Thrown black rice into stir-fries, add it to salads for deep color, or serve alongside white sticky rice in desserts."

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2012 7:51:56 PM PDT
MommaCat says:
Good to know it needs soaking first. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2012 7:54:06 PM PDT
Denise says:
Forbidden Rice, or black rice, is a type of rice that was considered forbidden because only the royal family was allowed to have and eat it. I believe it is harder to grow, so rarer. Penalties (I believe death) were serious if anyone other than the royals possessed or ate it.

I did some research because I bought some. I haven't made it yet.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 12:27:26 PM PDT
Kessa says:
I cook it in my rice cooker, just like I cook brown rice.

Lotus Foods Forbidden Rice, 15-Ounce (Pack of 6) is really good - not what I as expecting the 1rst time I tried it - I think I was thinking it wouldn't taste good. LOL!

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 2:30:29 PM PDT
MommaCat says:
Does it taste different? I still haven't made it. I was kinda thinking of making fettucini alfredo with chicken/broccoli but with the rice instead of fettucini. Does that sound bizarre? I thought it would look pretty cool and actually taste kinda interesting.

I was sitting here trying to do the math per pound and getting dizzy! Jeez...it's just not that late in the day! I paid $3/lb in the bulk bin.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 3:43:53 PM PDT
Kessa says:
A little nuttier maybe. If you would like fettucini alfredo on brown rice, I don't see why you wouldn't on black rice.

I soak mine for an hour & half, like I do for brown rice.

It looks like you got it for .34 less than I get it on Amazon - unless my math is way off. LOL!

Posted on Jun 3, 2012 5:57:11 PM PDT
L. Hill says:
Just came back from Maui and had Forbidden Black Rice at Mamma's Fish House. Yum! It was wonderful! Can't wait to make it here at home...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2012 9:31:16 AM PDT
S. Kessler says:
Bought some this weekend. Can't wait to try it.

Posted on Jun 4, 2012 9:43:16 PM PDT
Madam B says:
I have been eating it topped with mango and coconut cream for years at a Thai Temple here in Berkeley. To me it tastes very similar to white sticky rice. Love the coco-mango-rice combo sooooooo much.

Posted on Jun 10, 2012 9:46:32 AM PDT
ms says:
Food Network's Giada De Laurentiis has a wonderful, easy recipe for Forbidden rice. Neither she nor I soak the rice before cooking.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 9:40:08 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 11, 2012 9:42:37 PM PDT
RebeccaZ says:
Hooray for Mamas Fish House.. Maui is quite fond of forbidden rice ( locally grown/ easy to import?) and I had something very much like a rice Alfredo there a couple a years ago, at the restaurant at the Mana Kai.
It was delicious and worth a try making at home.
Since we are talking Whole Foods.. they carry a vegetarian 'chicken breast' in the frozen aisle that really goes even better than chicken with this dish.

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 6:58:40 AM PDT
We eat forbidden rice all the time--I've never soaked, I just cook it like I would brown rice.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 7:01:35 AM PDT
MommaCat says:
I'll have to check out her recipe, thanks. I made it and it was really yummy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 22, 2012 12:55:29 PM PDT
we had it for the first time last night. Did not soak it. Just cooked it in the electric rice cooker with 1 3/4 c water for 1 up rice. It was delicious.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 22, 2012 12:56:22 PM PDT
made it in the elec. rice cooker last night. Yummy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 22, 2012 6:06:28 PM PDT
Do you dump the soaking water or use it to cook the rice?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 22, 2012 6:08:23 PM PDT
Sorry;
Does one dump the soakig water or cook the rice in it? For how long? Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 22, 2012 6:22:54 PM PDT
MommaCat says:
Soaking liquid is always just that...for soaking - just like beans. Always cook in fresh water.

I used the brown rice setting on ny rice steamer. I can't cook rice on the stove for the life of me!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 22, 2012 7:02:15 PM PDT
Thank you for the clarification of the soaking water. Some of my recipes call for cooking in the soaking water, so I was not sure.

" I can't cook rice on the stove for the life of me!"

I can't either. I used to be able to, but since I began using my steamer some 30 years ago I seem to have lost this skill/ability - - it boils over, etc. and is a mess - - the steamer does a beautiful job.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 22, 2012 8:31:43 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 22, 2012 8:34:57 PM PDT
OldAmazonian says:
Mary Sue,
Soaking rice isn't necessary, but we've read it raises rice's nutritional value so we do it when convenient. It changes the flavor very slightly after a few hours soaking. I've even soaked it overnight before cooking, so I reduce the cook water by the amount absorbed, and reduce the cooking time because it doesn't take quite as long.

We just recently tried "forbidden" rice and like it. We love wild rice, which has a similar nutty flavor, and have enjoyed that for decades.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 22, 2012 8:38:54 PM PDT
"Soaking rice isn't necessary, but we've read it raises rice's nutritional value so we do it when convenient."

That is so odd. Most of our rice packages (an my cooking teachers - - mom, grandmothers, friends, etc.) advise against soaking it, claiming it reduces the nutritional value, washes them away.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 22, 2012 8:49:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 22, 2012 8:58:27 PM PDT
OldAmazonian says:
http://nutritiondiva.quickanddirtytips.com/phytic-acid-in-grains.aspx

http://www.livestrong.com/article/324467-how-to-germinate-rice-for-increased-nutrition/

http://www.livestrong.com/article/450427-does-soaking-brown-rice-wash-away-the-nutrition/

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 22, 2012 9:03:54 PM PDT
OldAmazonian says:

Your links are invaluable. Thank you so much for a calm and easy segue into this information. I bow to your wise ways.

;->

Posted on Sep 1, 2012 7:53:17 PM PDT
My sister-in-law sends me fun little packages of stuff every now and then. The latest one contained a bag of Organic Forbidden Rice. Curious, I cooked some up per the package directions. Someone mentioned soaking it. Not at all necessary. Cooked up in the time allotted and was wonderful. I didn't put anything on it but some kosher salt. Love the look, the taste, and the mouth feel. Packs a lot of flavor and satisfaction in a low fat, good fiber to carb rating so it has a pretty good glycemic rating. The only problem is I now have to order some.! I recommend it highly.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  19
Total posts:  48
Initial post:  Apr 27, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 27, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions