Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

Pressure Cookers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 159 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 16, 2010 10:26:49 AM PDT
FedLady says:
Help, you great cooks out there !! I just bought a 12 quart pressure cooker and am ready to return it, why? Because I have gone thru 10 lbs of rice and it still won't come out right AND I have purchased a couple great cookbooks and everything is in PSI, this cooker has presets by food category so impossible to convert.... I am returning the one I have, bought through HSN, wondering if anyone out there has suggestions on a pressure cooker of at least 8 qt size that actually shows the PSI on display........ thanks for any help you all can give me ;))

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2010 11:22:17 AM PDT
S. Kessler says:
FedLady, I don't know what model you have, but it sound electric. Is it? In any case, I swear by Kuhn Rikon pressure cookers. Have had one for years (after having had two other brands that fllunked out after a while). Kuhn Rikon is the cadillac of stovetop pressure cookers. I would also recommend pressure cooker cookbooks by Lorna Sass. Her directions are foolproof and her recipes are yummy and flavorful. Here are some links:

Kuhn Rikon Duromatic Family Style Pressure Cooker Stockpot 8 Quart

Cooking Under Pressure (20th Anniversary Edition)
Pressure Perfect: Two Hour Taste in Twenty Minutes Using Your Pressure Cooker

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2010 2:19:06 PM PDT
FedLady says:
Thank you so much, S. Kessler for your input! Yes, my new one is an electric and while esthetically very attractive, like I mentioned I am having trouble converting recipes. I have called customer service for assistance and get an answering machine consistently, hmmmm. I checked out the Kuhn, and it is highly rated everywhere I look..... now if I can substantiate the price jump! I have purchased one cookbook, by Miss Vickie, and also looked at the three or four by Lorna Sass, those would be next once I can master using a pressure cooker. Again, I thank you for your input and happy cooking!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2010 6:20:16 PM PDT
Kay Shepherd says:
Miss Vickie also has a very nice website on the topic of pressure cooking. missvickie.com

Posted on Jul 16, 2010 7:15:54 PM PDT
Penmouse says:
Miss Vickie also has a pressure cooker cookbook on sale at Amazon.

Kuhn Rikon are wonderful pressure cookers from what I've been told. I have had good success with Fagor pressure cookers. They are not as expensive as Kuhn Rikon and they work well.

Posted on Nov 17, 2010 2:25:31 PM PST
S. Kessler says:
In one of the earlier Pressure Cooker threads, Lorna Sass, the cookbook author who, iin my opinion, has written the best pressure cooker cookbooks, came to post and answer questions. At one point we were talking about risotto and the fact that they come out great in the PC. I have used Lorna's original recipe for risotto for the PC for years. But in her most recent book, Pressure Perfect, she revised the reciipe, shortening the time in the cooker and adding a few minutes of stovetop cooking/stirring.

Well, I finally tried out her revised risotto recipe and it is great! I made a simple risotto last night with shallots and dried porcini mushrooms. Instead of adding all the liquid at one and closing the pot and cooking for 6 minutes, which resulted in a delicious but somewhat soupy risotto, in the revised version she has you added the wine first, cooking it with the rise and aromatics until absorbed, then adding most of the rest of the liquid (in this case a combo of the mushroom soaking liquid and chicken broth), reserving 1/2 cup for the final few minutes. High pressure for 4 or 5 minutes depending on type of rise, fast release of the pressure, and then cooking for a final 3 to 5 minutes in the open pot to "finish" it. Add cheese when fire is off.

The risotto was perfectly cooked through, but a little more al dente (chewy) than with the earlier method (though not a chalky grain in evidence). And the PC method packs the maximum amount of flavor. Plus you need less butter/oil and cheese than the traditional method, making for a somewhat leaner dish.

Delicioso!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2012 5:54:56 PM PDT
Kay Shepherd says:
Hi SK!

Needed to bump this thread to ask you a question.

I have a Fagor that until today had been just fine. (I bought it before I found out how wonderful the KR PCs are.) I'm in the middle of a nice dish, but the thing wouldn't come up to pressure and hissed out most of the liquid before I figured that out. So I'm about ready to replace and am looking at the KR.

I am wondering about shape...I am drawn to the Kuhn Rikon Duromatic Family Style Pressure Cooker Braiser 5 Quart. Have you ever used this one? What size/shape do you have?

Thanks!

Posted on Mar 15, 2012 7:10:52 PM PDT
Penmouse says:
Some of the electric pressure cookers use non-standard PSI settings. Make sure your electric pressure cooker is capable of reaching 15 lbs. PSI which is the standard PSI for the high setting. Also, the Fagor electric pressure cooker is rumored to not work when using the rice cooking cycle. I have the Fagor 670040230 Stainless-Steel 3-in-1 6-Quart Multi-Cooker which has the rice setting. I have never used the rice cooker cycle as I much prefer cooking rice in the microwave oven.

Also, I have LOVE my Fagor stove-top pressure cookers. I have three of them. The Fagor stove-top pressure cooker is recommended by Cook's Illustrated, if I remember right. Take a peek at the Fagor pressure cooker here: Fagor 8-Quart Stainless-Steel Pressure Cooker with Steamer Basket

You can buy more expensive pressure cookers, and you can buy cheaper ones, but the Fagor is a trusty workhorse in my kitchen.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 7:08:53 AM PDT
Kay Shepherd says:
Hi Penmouse...not sure who you are talking to here. If it is me, I don't have or want an electric pressure cooker.

My Fagor was fine until last night, too. But it was leaking all around the handle area, but not venting out the vent hole. I checked the gasket (even though I saw no gasket problem) and it was fine. I cooled it down and checked the vent hole - it was clear and unobstructed. It just looks like the points where the handle meets the lid may have worked themselves loose or something.

Posted on Mar 16, 2012 9:29:36 AM PDT
MaryAnne says:
This Group will help you with any question you have about your pressure cooker.
They are more than helpful and friendly plus the largest collection of recipes for your pc.
Don't send your pc back until you check them out.
MaryAnne

Subscribe:
PressureCookerRecipes-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Posted on Mar 16, 2012 4:49:57 PM PDT
I have three pressure cookers, I have an electric one I really like for making rice based dishes because I don't scorch them (though for just rice I much prefer my rice maker) a magefessa I got used, my particular one can't be bought in the US, and the marine magic pressure fryer, one of the two sold that has the locking bar across so we can actually pressure fry chicken and fish without it blowing up, using oil.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2012 6:32:08 AM PDT
Henrietta says:
I absolutely love my Deni 6 quart pressure cooker - no watching and it beeps when done until you turn it off. I can't believe people still use the old fashioned kind. It is also a slow cooker with a browning feature for meats.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2012 11:46:33 AM PDT
Penmouse says:
I had that too and I had to purchase the replacement parts at Fagor. Once that was done, the PC worked just fine.

I was addressing the original poster who purchased an electric pc.

Posted on Mar 17, 2012 11:52:13 AM PDT
Penmouse says:
Kay you can go to Fagor America and look for the parts page. You will be able to find the replacement parts you need in particular the parts will probably be the UPPER HANDLE WITH SAFETY VALVE AND PRESSURE INDICATOR. Check with Fagor America, if you like, to confirm this. I had to buy this part for the Futuro PC.

See: http://www.fagoramerica.com/shop2/replacement_parts/futuro

Posted on Mar 17, 2012 4:38:20 PM PDT
E. Hubbell says:
Fissler. Lifetime warranty. I own three Fissler pressure cookers as well as the 10 piece pro cookware set. Kuhn Rikon may well be the Cadillac, but Fissler is the Rolls Royce.

Did I say lifetime warranty? Cookstar base separates this brand from the pack.

I will be purchasing the new 10 quart to assist with my canning this summer. Have several Lorna Sass books. they are the best.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 6:49:30 AM PDT
Kay Shepherd says:
Hi Penmouse - thank you! for the link to the replacement parts page. I have bookmarked the site. As it turns out, I don't need it just yet as my husband was able to tighten some screws that had worked themselves loose. I tested my PC and it came up to pressure as expected. :-)

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 10:30:09 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 19, 2014 7:04:27 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 11:50:05 AM PDT
I personally think fagor is an excellent brand that gets consistently good reviews. So is KR. really, it boils down to what features you want and how much you want to spend.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 12:08:33 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 19, 2014 7:04:34 PM PDT]

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 12:26:13 PM PDT
If you like fagor and are happy with it, I'd stick with it. I have an electric, a magefessa (my model isn't available in the US) and the marine deep fryer. Most things to look for are heavy bottoms a good seal, and read reviews. People love their KRs, I think it's edward and Jacob, some are team KR, some are team Jacob, both are good LOL

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 4:31:53 PM PDT
Mattie says:
April,
I have several different brands of pressure cooker here and have been using them since I married in 1970, I'm not an expert by any means but I can list my most used and favorites for you.

I have a 12 quart Kuhn Rikon that is my favorite of all times, it makes large quantities of stocks and stuffed cabbage and such. It is probably my most used one lately.

In the Fagor brand I have an 8 quart, 2-6 quart, 1-4quart....these were my go to pressure cookers all throughout the 1990's when I purchased my first one. They are very dependable and show no signs of wea and tear for after being my main cookers for the past 20 years. I bought our daughter in law 2 of them to get her started on pressure cooking and she too loves them.

I also have an 8 quart Innova that Cooks Illustrated had at one time said was the best out there. I bought it before they published there reccomendations on it and have to say it is one of the worst pressure cookers I have ever used. It is difficult to do a quick pressure release on it and it is prone to scorching anything with a tomato based sauce even on the lowest pressure.

I still have my original Presto 4 quart and a Mirro 4 quart packed away in the attic. I also have and use the newer digital cookers and will say they are very nice when you just want to set it and forget it and have all the work done for you, they shut down and go to a warming setting after they are finished pressure cooking the contents.

I don't know the mechanics of it all but I will say that the big Kuhn Rikon makes a more intense flavored stock than I get from the others, it is one heavy solid cooker. The one down side (if there is one) is the expense, although my three sons have already started arguing about which one will inherit it when I'm long gone. If you have a need for cooking really large amount to feed a large family or to freeze for later use I would really reccomend the Kuhn Rikon if you can get past the cost of it, I have never had anything burn or scorch in it and in the short time I have had it (about 18 months) and I would replace it in a heartbeat if I lost it.

Mattie
www.inthekitchenwithmattie.com

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 5:26:50 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 19, 2014 7:04:43 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 7:00:07 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 20, 2012 7:12:44 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 9:56:17 PM PDT
Mattie says:
April,
I'm saving up the pennies around here to get the 5 quart braiser from Kuhn Rikon, it was a toss up of which one I would get when I finally decided to go with the 12 quart so I could make lots of stock instead of having to use several cookers (and clean them afterward) to have enough in the freezer. Depending on how big I make them the 12 quart fits between 30-34 stuffed cabbage rolls at one time, I used to have to use 3 or 4 of my smaller cookers to make that many.

Mattie
www.inthekitchenwithmattie.com

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2012 12:26:11 PM PDT
S. Kessler says:
Hi, Kay. I haven't been here in a while so I just saw your email. I think I have a 7L KR. I think a 5 quart braiser would be too small and shallow, especially if you plan to do pots of beans and soups.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Cooking forum (849 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  44
Total posts:  159
Initial post:  Jul 16, 2010
Latest post:  Aug 19, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 23 customers

Search Customer Discussions