Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

Appliances not made in China

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 27, 2009 3:21:04 AM PST
Tara Wade says:
I am looking for a new toaster and electric kettle not made in China. I am aware of the toasters by Bugatti and Dualit, but are there any others not manufactured in China?

Posted on Dec 27, 2009 7:12:58 PM PST
Copied from: http://notes.kateva.org/2006/03/last-good-toaster.html

"There is still a toaster MADE IN THE USA. It's made by Star Mfg in MO, actually their toasters are made in TN. These are heavy duty restaurant quality units. Our 4 slice weighs about 20 lbs, so keep that in mind in terms of storage, lifting etc.
We have the ST04 model, which I think has been replaced with a newer model designation, but I checked with the rep today and she said they are still made in TN.

They can be repaired even at a restaurant repair facility if need be, you can actually buy parts for them as well! Imagine! Of course the bad news, they are not cheap.

I think the 2 slice model is around $350 and the 4 slice $550 online. We actually picked up ours used on ebay for about $150...
http://www.star-mfg.com/Scripts/Product.aspx?cat_id=8&prod_id=STO2"
Good Luck!!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2009 8:30:15 PM PST
Tara Wade says:
Thank you so much for your reply. It's most appreciated. I'll definitely check that out.

Posted on Jan 7, 2010 6:08:19 PM PST
I'm also looking for a hand mixer not made in China - any ideas?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2010 6:55:21 PM PST
papflajack says:
You can also think Germany. I bought a meat slicer and that's where it was built. anything with machinery, USA or Germany. a couple of other European nations too. and some of the Japanese stuff is good. you want things built to high tolerances. Chinese motorcycles don't last because of this either. watch out for stuff made in India too. machinery makes my living so I know.

Posted on Jan 7, 2010 9:06:00 PM PST
Talyn says:
I think boycotting anything made in China is a good idea.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2010 7:07:58 AM PST
I agree,my husband works at a Hardware Store.He has been working bundling up bolts and nuts made in china to send back to China,They are full of lead and has to be returned.The next round of supplys made in China are going to be recalled and returned to company,They are being replace with AMERICAN made products.How about that????

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2010 10:14:15 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2010 10:19:58 AM PST
Tara Wade says:
That's really something. First, very scary that the Chinese nuts and bolts are TOXIC! Second, great that the store will now be carrying USA made nuts and bolts.

I am on a personal crusade to clear my house of dangerous junk from China and replace it with quality items made in the USA and Europe. Ten or even five years ago this would have been quite easy, but not now. However, I just bought a new skillet made by AllClad in the USA and a coffee machine from Italy, but I am really struggling to replace small appliances like toasters, food processors and kettles.

To me, the message is clear and simple. If it is half price it is half quality. Here in the USA we have been making quality products for centuries. The same is true in England, Germany, France, Italy, Switzerland, etc where many manufacturers are masters of their crafts - some having been in business since the 1700s. The Chinese can't possibly think they can just come along and beat us at our own game overnight.

Posted on Jan 8, 2010 10:53:40 AM PST
Talyn says:
Years ago I bought some dual motor drives for a model radio controlled tank,these DMD's as they are called were made in China,the steel they were made of was soft,and after the initial test run after installing these Chinese made DMD's,they were junk.

I removed them and returned them to the company,in order to get my money refunded I had to file a complaint with the FTC.

Posted on Feb 2, 2010 4:28:32 PM PST
joaniepony® says:
I was just looking at my mandoline MiU France guess where it is made. Not France!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2010 6:53:50 PM PST
Sandra says:
You have to watch AllClad. I have noticed lately (and did not purchase for this reason) that an AllClad Roasting pan was made in China. Also I later discovered that the bottom of a round french roaster was made in the USA, but the lid was manufactured in China! Can't trust any of the companies these days.

Posted on Feb 2, 2010 7:11:14 PM PST
L. Miller says:
I'm really trying not to buy anything form China, and it is difficult. Now my food processor is dying and I'm in trouble - I can't fine ONE that is made somewhere else. Can anyone help? I checked out Kitchen Aid thoroughly - they have a plant in Greenville that makes mixers, but all their food processors are made in China. German or Japanese made would be great.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2010 7:18:59 PM PST
joaniepony® says:
I have emailed All-Clad and asked , my rule of thumb on the Stainless Steel if it is Induction compatable it is US made and I just heard about the lids being elsewhere. I just thought it was funny and below the belt to put French as part of the name. It is all a matter of competition where things are made.

Posted on Feb 3, 2010 2:38:23 AM PST
Grandma says:
If you want pots and pans made in the USA, then invest in Lodge Cast Iron - at least some of which is enameled. Made right here in the good old USA as it has been for 100 years or more and you cannot beat it for cooking. I'm still using my great grandmother's cast iron skillet LOL.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 3, 2010 5:33:38 AM PST
I couldn't find the USA mixer - any idea which model?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 3, 2010 5:34:49 AM PST
I couldn't find the USA mixer - any idea which model?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 3, 2010 6:10:36 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 3, 2010 6:18:01 AM PST
Kay Shepherd says:
The Lodge enameled line is from China.

from their website:

Lodge Enamel Cookware

Lodge Enamel cookware has received rave reviews from consumer oriented magazines like Good Housekeeping and Fine Cooking, while also garnering approval from professional chefs, test kitchens and home cooks.

Imported from China, the two lines of enamel coated cast iron cookware are stylish in appearance and produce excellent cooking results with surfaces that are FDA approved.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2010 3:34:24 PM PST
Grandma says:
Thanks for pointing that out. I'm glad I haven't bought any of the enameled. I wonder if that leaves Le Creuset? I know I was dumbfounded a couple of Christmases ago to have a daughter send me some special very expensive Waterford Crystal ornaments - which arrived prominently marked Made in China. No more Waterford for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2010 4:19:28 PM PST
curious cook says:
I'm shuffling my feet here, trying not to look stupid, but I'd like to understand the vehement aversion to all products made in China?

Yes, I know all about the gypsum board fiasco, and the toys with poisonous paint, and I agree that all products with those sorts of potential downsides should be avoided. But crystal?

Maybe cookware. But the enamel cookware from China gets FDA approval.... The big willys over ANYTHING made in China seems, well, I don't want to use the word...

Can someone enlighten me?

No insult intended, but am I missing something?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2010 4:47:05 PM PST
joaniepony® says:
I don't like to be tricked, Some brands you are paying for the name. It isn't going to stop me, just don't trick me. All-Cald some made in US and some in China.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2010 7:01:44 PM PST
Kay Shepherd says:
All Clad's fully clad products are made here in the USA. Some (or all?) of the rest of their items are made in China - like the lids and their roasting (roti) pans.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2010 7:05:59 PM PST
Kay Shepherd says:
Le Creuset cast iron is manufactured in France.

From Wiki: Other Le Creuset pieces include stoneware (produced in Thailand), enamel over steel stockpots (produced in China), and silicone bakeware (produced mainly in the U.S.)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2010 7:17:36 PM PST
Kay Shepherd says:
I'm actually not sure, either. I do a lot of research, so I know where some of the cookware available is made, but I don't know why some people would prefer to have cookware which was not manufactured in China. I respect everyone's preferences; I just don't understand this one.

Posted on Feb 5, 2010 7:34:29 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 5, 2010 7:48:58 PM PST
music lover says:
China is a communist country, they have over 300,000 political and religious prisoners in their gulags and slave labor is used in the factories that make all the products that ignorant Americans buy while saying "whats the big deal?" Maybe you would like a forced abortion if you became pregnant but already had one child? Yes China is so wonderful, I want to fill my home with their products.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2010 7:58:27 PM PST
curious cook says:
while that may be true, China has over 1.3 billion people, and as we have seen over and over again throughout history, economic sanctions do little to change political situations, while doing much to make the lives of workers ever more miserable. What you call slave labor, many Chinese might call employment. That said, I will not engage further. This is a cooking forum, not a political one.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 41 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Cooking forum (851 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Twinkie Temple #4 250 16 hours ago
Appliances not made in China 1020 20 hours ago
Homemade healthy snacks? 1 2 days ago
pasta express ctc machine recipe needed 32 2 days ago
Pressure Cookers 165 3 days ago
springform pan 10 7 days ago
Has anyone actually seen Corning Ware Pyroceram or VISIONS cookware explode? 454 18 days ago
Baking in a Breville Smart Oven 161 22 days ago
Good Toaster Oven Cookwear 26 22 days ago
Anyone Use Eat Your Books? 17 23 days ago
Volts 0 25 days ago
92x24 tablecloth 0 27 days ago

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  310
Total posts:  1021
Initial post:  Dec 27, 2009
Latest post:  20 hours ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 43 customers

Search Customer Discussions