Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

Keep It or Toss It ? (When to say adios to stuff in the fridge.)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 54 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 7, 2013 6:47:24 AM PST
teddy says:
I need some expert guidence about food storage.
I sure don't want to get a nasty case of food poisoning.

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 6:48:16 AM PST
teddy says:
Pot roast from just before Christmas?

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 6:51:15 AM PST
teddy says:
Spaghetti sauce (with meat) from before New Year's?
If I boil it for a few minutes every few days will that kill the bad things growing in it?
Is it too late to freeze it?

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 6:53:00 AM PST
teddy says:
Marinated cabbage. (it also contains apple) It's over a week old.
Does the vinegar act as a preservative?

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 6:54:40 AM PST
teddy says:
Home made salad dressing made with mayo.

What about hard boiled eggs?
I hear the Chinese keep them for a hundred years. (or maybe it was a thousand years)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 8:43:04 AM PST
S. Kessler says:
If it's a week old, toss it. Certain condiments can stay in the fridge for months or even years. As can fermented foods like sour kraut and pickles. But ordinary cooked food should be tossed after four or five days if it's not frozen.

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 8:44:46 AM PST
Grandma says:
A good general rule of thumb is to freeze any cooked meats that you are not going to use within a couple of days. Same for spaghetti sauce. In fact, I often make a larger batch of sauce or cook a larger piece of meat than I need deliberately so that I can store the extra in the freezer for times I don't feel like cooking. Among other things, you could have turned that extra pot roast into very nice pot pies.

Some kinds of homemade pickles will keep for several weeks in the fridge but without knowing exactly what you put into your marinated cabbage it is hard to tell. Look at it carefully - if it isn't dried out or slimy, still looks ok, has no signs of mold and you've been keeping it covered then taste a teeny piece.

Salad dressings made with storebought mayo are OK for a few days as are hard boiled eggs.

Remember the #1 rule of food saftey though - IF IN DOUBT, THROW IT OUT!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 8:47:46 AM PST
S. Kessler says:
Grandma: Remember the #1 rule of food saftey though - IF IN DOUBT, THROW IT OUT

SK: Always a good rule of thumb.

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 9:18:14 AM PST
teddy says:
I ate the spaghetti sauce (after boiling it 5 minutes) yesterday, as well as the cabbage slaw and had no problems but I tossed the beef stew stuff.
I suppose I'm on the ragged edge with these items. I'll give them the heave ho.

Thanks for the advice.

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 9:23:11 AM PST
teddy says:
So how long can I keep homemade pesto?
Can I freeze it?

What about store bought Chinese items like hoisin sauce, oyster sauce, bean paste, toasted sesame oil, rooster sauce and the like?
I only use these items occasionally and would hate to toss them after one use.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 9:30:48 AM PST
Grandma says:
Pesto you CAN freeze as long as you are very careful to wash your basil thoroughly before you make it. Sesame oil, toasted or not, keeps for a long time. The rest of those items do too as long as you refrigerate them. I like to clean off the tops of the bottles with a damp paper towel before I put the lid back in place to prevent a buildup of nasty-awfuls under the lid.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 9:32:24 AM PST
MommaCat says:
All those bottled sauces have enough preservatives to keep a long time. I keep mine several months. That homemade pesto won't last, but you can freeze it.

I don't like boiling things down, but it can be done. I prefer to freeze it if I won't use it the next day. It's just safer. Why take chances?

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 9:34:51 AM PST
MommaCat says:
Btw, all those herbs should be dried thoroughly as well. I have a small salad spinner to get the bulk of the water off, then use a clean dish towel to get the rest.

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 9:59:25 AM PST
teddy says:
Nothing worse than opening the lid on some bottle or jar of stuff you haven't used in months to see all that black scum accumulated around the rim.

The A-1 Sauce is the worst offender in my fridge.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 10:03:42 AM PST
MommaCat says:
Yeah, but clean that off and it's fine. Just like ketchup.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 10:51:32 AM PST
Jimbo says:
Absolutely agree, Kessler. Don't take the risk of getting sick.

TEDDY: The Chinese boiled eggs may last 100 years but yours won't.
Anything mixed with MAYO will spoil quickly

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 11:01:34 AM PST
Teddy, even if you boil or otherwise recook food that may be too old, or food that has been left out and not refridgerated soon enough, you can still get ill from it. The heat will kill the bacteria, but the toxic by-products won't be destroyed and can make you sick. It is a risk.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 2:31:10 PM PST
Teddy says:
Teddy Bear,

Don't invite me for dinner~~~When I visit someones home~~I always make some kind of excuse to look in their fridge~~
(in the past I used to go to the bathroom to check out thier medicine cabinet)~~~The Fridge tells more about their habits than any other item in a persons home!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 6:03:36 PM PST
teddy says:
I never said anything about MAYO, Jimbo.
I keep my HB eggs in the shell. I just forget how many MONTHS they've been around.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 6:06:35 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 7, 2013 6:13:50 PM PST
teddy says:
Well April,I am going out of town for a week & have put all these left-overs in little containers for my husband to eat, marked Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, etc etc.

I figure that by the time I get back TWO of my problems should be solved.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 6:11:46 PM PST
teddy says:
Avalon,
You sound like my mother!

Every time she visits she makes nasty comments about dust bunnies, spider webs, & cockroaches.
It is very difficult to keep animals out of the house when you have kids.

And it's not like SHE is perfect.
She keeps milk and donuts in her freezer.
I'll bet you anything she has ants trying to get in there.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 7:07:31 AM PST
MommaCat says:
That's not good! Milk can't be frozen! Tune her OUT! Donuts, ok. I freeze em too. I take them to work and it works great, but you have to package them right.

In fact...don't let her come over! That will solve it!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 7:54:37 AM PST
Grandma says:
Actually, for some purposes milk and milk products can be frozen. Cheese freezes quite well, though it will turn very crumbly, so if you've an excess you intend to use for something like mac & cheese freezing is an option.

See here for the Dairy Council of California's answer to "Can I freeze Milk?"
http://www.dairycouncilofca.org/milk-dairy/Milk_Handling.aspx

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 9:24:27 AM PST
Becky (NOLA) says:
Milk can totally be frozen. Many of us navy wives who only got an allotment at the beginning of the month would buy all our milk at one time and freeze it. YOu just have to shake it hard when it thaws.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 9:29:58 AM PST
Grandma says:
I used to do that too. For a while when my kids were small I had a milkman/farmer neighbor who would leave me whatever he happened to have extra that day after he made the rounds. Some days it was a quart and some days it was 5 gallons.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Cooking forum (857 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  54
Initial post:  Jan 7, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 12, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions