Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

Teflon in rice cooker

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 14, 2012 3:11:11 PM PDT
T. McBride says:
Is it normal having to replace the pan in my rice cooker every year or two? The teflon always wears off. With the amount of money spent on new pans over the last 5 years I could have purchased another rice cooker, but then I might have the same problem...

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2012 9:08:36 PM PDT
I have never had a problem. I wish mine wasn't Teflon, though. But it holds up. I use a plastic paddle to stir the rice.

What brand is yours? Mine is a Panasonic. I use it on average once a week, or perhaps a little less these days. I've had it for 6 years.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2012 10:11:10 PM PDT
T. McBride says:
I also have a Panasonic, at least 5 years old, maybe older. Think I paid around $100 for it so it's not a cheaper one. I use it 3-4 times per week. I only use the plastic spoon that came with it and wash it with a soft brush. Maybe the brush is scratching it? I've thought of buying a different model but they all have Teflon coating. Once my new replacement bowel arrives I'll be extra careful when cleaning it.

Posted on Sep 16, 2012 5:47:44 AM PDT
I have a Zojirushi NSRNC-18A 10-Cup (Uncooked) Automatic Rice Cooker and Warmer with Floral Imprint that I've used for well over 8 years, and hard use too. We make rice at least twice a week and the bowl is fine. I don't put it in the dishwasher.

Posted on Sep 16, 2012 7:12:11 AM PDT
T. McBride, I hand wash my bowl too. I think the soft brush may be a problem.

I recently bought new flatware, and Oneida says to not use dish soap with lemon on it to preserve the finish. That was new to me. Maybe avoiding using lemon detergent on the teflon might help too.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2012 9:29:50 AM PDT
S. Kessler says:
I have a Zojirushi neuro fuzzy model with an excellent quality nonstick bowl. I've had it for about six months now with no sign of wear. I use only the plastic rice paddle or a silicone spoon to stir the rice and only a soft sponge when washing it. Absolutely nothing sticks to it, so cleanup is a breeze.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2012 7:02:09 PM PDT
T. McBride says:
Sounds like the Zojirushi bowel is better because I always have to soak mine first in soapy water and then scrub with a brush. I only cook brown rice and different varieties stick worse than others but they all stick to my pan to some degree. I would hate to buy another rice cooker when mine works very well besides the teflon peeling off. I might just try to find a different bowel that will fit after this new one is ruined sometime next year.

Posted on Sep 17, 2012 7:28:35 PM PDT
The secret to cleaning teflon is to wipe it when it's still warm.
After you take the rice out put a cup of water in it and let it cook a couple of minutes - add a drop or two of dish detergent - swish- dump the water and wipe it with a micro fiber cloth then rinse it.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2012 11:13:52 AM PDT
S. Kessler says:
I paid around $165 for my Zojirushi. But it is very high quality, handles many different kinds of rice, and I use it all the time. Nothing sticks to this bowl. All I have to do is rinse and very lightly swab.

Posted on Sep 18, 2012 1:43:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 18, 2012 2:09:08 PM PDT
T. McBride, I have a Panasonic too, and my bowl almost wipes clean. Swish with soapy water and a soft cloth or sponge. I think your brush may have damaged the Teflon non-stick properties early on. Nothing sticks to mine, and it never requires soaking. I cook some white rice but most often brown.

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 2:10:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 20, 2012 2:17:34 PM PDT
Deepa Mohan says:
We bought a stainless pressure cooker. It is much faster than a normal rice cooker and bowl is made of stainless steel which is inert. I have heard the compound in teflon is carcinogenic, and accumulates in the body.

It is a breeze to clean up too, If the rice sticks just need to soak for 10-15 minutes in water before cleaning.

here is a link to the cooker we bought, www.importhome.com/Cooker_New.html . I also see a similar one in amazon, lookup "Instant pot"

Posted on Sep 21, 2012 8:42:33 AM PDT
We won't be eating any rice around our house until the verdict is in about the arsenic levels.
That little news story kind of scared the bejeebers out of me.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2012 10:09:27 AM PDT
PnF, thanks for the heads up. Spooky.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2012 10:32:33 AM PDT
Deepa Mohan, I like using a pressure cooker for rice sometimes. That one might be hard to get a new gasket for in the US, but nice to see a stainless bowl for an electric PC.

I typed INSTANT POT in Amazon, and someone sells a stainless bowl that fits the Cuisanart electric pressure cooker. I think most electric pressure cookers readily available in the US have Teflon insert bowls...not sure though.

I use a stainless stovetop PC, and for rice, a pot in pot set up with a stainless bowl inside the PC. A rice cooker is easier and more convenient though.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2012 1:33:49 PM PDT
S. Kessler says:
Any rice? Which rice(s) has high arsenic levels?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2012 8:26:48 PM PDT
T. McBride says:
My new replacement bowel is different this time even though I ordered the same part number. It seems to be better quality. Washing it with a soft sponge immediately after use works well so hopefully the teflon won't come off on this one.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2012 8:37:20 PM PDT
The news article didn't specify what type of rice contained the most arsenic only that higher than "normal" (there's a normal?) levels were found in rice.
There are bits and pieces of info on the web that say that the FDA is testing a variety of rice products but internet info can seldom be taken as fact so who knows for sure?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2012 9:36:02 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 22, 2012 9:37:37 PM PDT
S. Kessler says:
Since different rices come from different parts of the country and the world, there needs to be a lot more information available as to what rice they are talking about and where it is being grown. Otherwise, just being told that rice has higher than "normal" levels of arsenic doesn't tell you much of anything. What rice? What's "normal". Among other things.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2012 4:55:21 AM PDT
Agreed.

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 4:06:38 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 1, 2012 4:08:02 PM PDT
food fan says:
I have had a few rice cookers, and my latest is a fuzzy logic Panasonic model, from Williams - Sonoma. In the past, I have had to replace the bowl. This model shows no sign of wear on the non-stick surface. Every Panasonic rice cooker I get seems to be better than the previous one. I use my rice cooker daily.

I wonder if it would be o.k. to wash the cooker bowl in the dishwasher?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 9:08:03 PM PDT
S. Kessler says:
Do not wash the cooker bowl in the dishwasher. Never wash anything nonstick in the dishwasher. And if it is truly nonstick, then a quick swab with a soapy soft sponge should be all it needs.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Cooking forum (851 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  21
Initial post:  Sep 14, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 1, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions