Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

sos.....on the hunt for a crockpot.....asap

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 28, 2012 8:54:15 AM PDT
GW™ says:
Single kid wants one.
I must purchase before Sept 1 (for obvious reasons!)

Posted on Aug 28, 2012 8:56:20 AM PDT
GW™ says:
DAM!
Why can't amazon TELL us how many CAPITAL LETTERS are TOO many???

Anyway, the caps were to indicate that I am DESPERATE!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2012 10:30:55 AM PDT
S. Kessler says:
Don't mean to be obvious, but check out the reviews of different crockpots on Amazon. What's your spending range?

Posted on Aug 28, 2012 7:13:17 PM PDT
April says:
If this is a kid, then I assume there may not be room to freeze leftovers, so one smaller than mine is probably what they want. Also, functions like being able to brown like one sold at WS probably wouldn't be necessary.

I like that mine has high, low, auto (high then low), simmer and buffet. Also a digital timer. Do they need those?

So, size, function, then reviews. Sounds like it should be fairly easy to pick one, and a basic one is probably fine.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2012 7:17:40 PM PDT
GW™ says:
Thanks everyone.
Yes, a very basic (and smallish one) is going to fit the bill nicely.
Turns out I have a generous friend that is giving me one that she rarely uses.
So I'm all set.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2012 9:16:00 PM PDT
S. Kessler says:
Very nice!

Posted on Aug 31, 2012 1:59:40 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 1, 2012 4:47:53 PM PDT
AC Dust says:
the martha stewart iron cast steel ones

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2012 2:19:48 AM PDT
spookiewon says:
You don't have to "hunt" for crock pots. They're everywhere.

Posted on Sep 17, 2012 11:52:51 PM PDT
Grandma says:
You still can't beat the original Crock Pot . . . price is good too. A 3 quart model suitable for a single runs $10 or so at Walmart. BTW, I've had a fair few of the ones with extra bells and whistles and found them mostly annoying and not worth the extra investment.

Posted on Sep 18, 2012 11:19:02 AM PDT
Can someone tell me if the Crock -Pot insert is o.k. in an oven. I would like to use one
for baking with the lid on)? Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2012 11:19:39 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 18, 2012 11:20:09 AM PDT
S. Kessler says:
I had a Westbend slow cooker that produced very mediocre food. I found that there were so many pre-cook steps (browning the meat, sweating the veggies, what not), that it took all the convenience of having something I could supposedly get going in the morning before work and return at the end of the day for a hot meal. I'm just not that organized in the morning. My Kenmore gas range has a slow cook setting, where I can get all my ingredients going on top of the stove and then place it in a very slow oven for many hours. I've made baked beans that sat in the oven for 7 hours. Wonderful! So I sent my slow cooker to garage sale heaven and freed up counter space for a rice cooker, which I find much more useful for my style of cooking.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2012 11:22:23 AM PDT
Grandma says:
@Robert Kolker - possibly (check the directions that came with your specific slow cooker) but the lid likely is not because of the plastic handles. You *can* actually bake right in the slow cooker you know.

Posted on Oct 10, 2012 10:41:33 AM PDT
patbirdlegs says:
I have several and my favorite is the Hamilton Beach with the browning insert. You brown your food on the stove in the insert and then continue with the slow cooker. It is just great and does a wonderful job. Not cheap, around 70.00 bucks on sale. I was considering the All Clad, but the reviews were terrible and the price was very high. So try the Hamilton Beach.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2012 3:39:28 PM PDT
joaniepony® says:
Gina,

If you shut your eyes and wish REAL REAL hard, one will just appear on your door step!!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2012 4:31:37 PM PDT
Thanx ,but no thanx Joanie...Is anyone out there able to tell me of a crock pot (slow cooker) that has an oven proof insert so that I may use the insert in the oven to bake bread. I can afford to buy the equipment with honestly earned U.S. dollars. Thank you...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2012 4:35:07 PM PDT
Grandma says:
From the official Crock-Pot website at Crock-pot dot com

Is my Crock-Pot® Slow Cooker oven or microwave safe?

All Crock-Pot® Slow Cooker removable crockery inserts (without lid) may be used safely in the microwave and the oven set up to 400°F. If you own another slow cooker brand, please refer to your owner's manual for specific crockery cooking medium tolerances.

Posted on Oct 18, 2012 4:36:36 PM PDT
Grandma says:
That said, if you are looking for the sort of stoneware baker that some are using for Artisan bread, I don't believe you will find a slow cooker that will double as a romertopf. You'll find those here -

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_fb_0_6?url=search-alias%3Dgarden&field-keywords=romertopf&sprefix=romert%2Celectronics%2C229
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

ARRAY(0xd9a01d18)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  Aug 28, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 18, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions