Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

Tiger or Zojirushi rice cooker?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 63 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 13, 2009 1:00:59 PM PST
Hollydayzd says:
A friend of mine (who is Vietnamese) gave me a Tiger rice cooker a few years ago that was fantastic. She also turned us on to Asian rice (instead of American rice brands like Mahatma) and once our taste buds experienced the joy of fluffy jasmine Thai Hom Mali Rice, prepared in that awesome Tiger cooker, we can't go back! lol

Anyway, our beloved Tiger rice cooker was destroyed in a fire and I am looking to replace it. I thought I would just get the same model we had, but have heard good things about Zojirushi too (with its "fuzzy logic" technology).

Any recommendations???

~ Thanks! ~

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2009 1:55:10 PM PST
Kai Roberts says:
I own two Zojirushi rice makers -- both are still going strong. My first Zoji was the small, basic model. I used it almost daily for ten years when I decided to move it to our vacation home and try the larger, "fuzzy logic" rice maker. I use the new machine as frequently as my old one and I have no complaints with it. Truth be told, though, I think I prefer the old, basic model slightly more. It cooks quicker and I prefer the texture of the rice it produces. I also tend to use only Asian or Indian basmati rices (to give you an idea of how to evaluate my results). With the basic Zoji, I consistently get firmer textured grains with a slight "tooth" to them -- al dente, if we were talking pasta. The fuzzy logic tends to produce a slightly softer, more moist texture -- it's just a matter of personal preference, really. Here's the summary: The basic Zoji: inexpensive, reliable, cooks quicker, but the model I have produces less quantity. The fuzzy logic is great for cooking larger quantities, it's also reliable, more programmable, and more expensive. Either way, you can't go wrong with a Zoji. Hope this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2009 6:59:06 PM PST
I've always preferred Zojirushi, and buy their fuzzy logic models, but that's because I cook Japanese rice with it. Japanese rice needs to be softer and moister to enjoy the full flavor. Akita Komachi, and Koshi hikari are the best brands to buy. If you're cooking other Asian rice where moisture is not a given, buy the regular model. Rice cookers in Japan are now incoroporating thicker, heavier bowls, and pressure cooking, and cost an average of 500dollars. If you are a family of 4, buy the smaller size that cooks about 4 cups of rice, rice doesn't taste good after being kept warm more than 12 hours, so cook up smaller batches. Freezing is convenient, but worry about the plastic wrap's condensation which is polluted with dioxins that leach into your rice, especially if your are feeding your kids.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2009 11:06:30 PM PST
I'm trying to find the words to explain how fabulous my Zojirushi is. I've had one for six months, was reluctant to buy it due to cost and that I think rice tastes pretty good anyway. But I love it and the rice really is much more delicious than any I've had made in a pot or with another brand. I couldn't explain it to my sister either so I just bought her one, handed it to her with no explanation. The next day she called to ask why the rice she made in the Zoji was so good. Don't know anything about the Tiger but my opinion is you can't go wrong with the Zojirushi.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2009 8:10:56 PM PST
mike says:
When I had an old-fashioned National (merged with Tiger), I loved it. When I had a Tiger, I loved it. I bought a Zojirushi programmable and I love it, too. The model that I have allows one to program harder or softer, white, mixed, or brown rice, it has a GABA setting for brown rice (cooks more brown rice more slowly holding it at a temperature which allows all the nutrients to be made available), and it has a porridge setting (for jook a.k.a. congee). Oh, yeah, and I can set it so my food is ready when I want it. I use the latter two settings nearly every day. I put a mixture of steel-cut and old fashioned oats in at night and set the timer to have it done at 6:30 when we get up--yummy, creamy, oatmeal! I also use this setting for jook (rice porridge). I use the brown rice settings, the soft white rice setting, the 'quick' rice settings--pretty much all of them. By the way, I was raised in Hawai'i, and on good Asian rice. We are eating more brown jasmine rice these days, but I still like my sticky medium- and short-grained rice, too. The one thing I don't do with this cooker is steam vegetables or make many other types of dishes--I still have my old National for that. My husband teases me about having "so many" rice cookers, but I use them for different things (and different numbers of people). It all depends on what you want.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2009 9:23:07 PM PST
erisgrrrl says:
Neither! Buy the Sanyo ECJ-F50S! It got much better reviews than the Zojirushi and is incredibly less expensive! We use ours almost every day and I wouldn't trade it for any other rice cooker/steamer/slow cooker!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2009 9:44:42 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2009 10:10:57 PM PST
Richard Wong says:
I bought the Zojirushi. It is wonderful. Although I cannot really comment on Tiger because I have not use their latest one. To be honest, I pick Zojirushi because it has fuzzy logic which I do not know if it really makes a huge difference, and because the elephant is just cooler.

To give you my summary. I use a Zojirushi with fuzzy logic. I cook all sort of rice, especially Thai Jasmine rice. My cooked rice is always wonderful.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2009 9:01:59 AM PST
Erica Corbet says:
My dad was in the military, and we had the pleasure of living in Korea for a couple of years. My mom got a Zojirushi rice cooker as a gift from some of her korean friends, and it is still going strong. That was 12 years ago! We used it at least once a week if not more for all kinds of rice. I'm not quite sure what model it is, but it works great! I woudl highly recommend.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2009 10:09:25 AM PST
RMD says:
I had a roommate for a while with an old, well-loved, and still chugging Zojirushi; I got totally dependent on it. When I moved out, I bought a little Tiger one to replace the Zoji roomie took with him, because the Tiger was on sale. MISTAKE. That was only a couple years ago, and it's totally dead now; I'm getting a Zoji to replace it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2009 11:00:28 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2009 12:31:31 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 29, 2009 1:49:04 PM PST
womansheart says:
I hope you are still reading the posts in response to your original post on Jan. 13th ... I would like to offer my two cents worth of "advice."

I have never fretted over a purchase as much as I did over buying my first rice cooker. I decided on the Zojirushi NS-KCC05 Micom Programmable 3-Cup Rice Cooker & Warmer. I haven't had a moments regret. It is so easy to use and makes yummy rice.

We buy bulk-bin organic white basmati, mostly, at our local natural foods market. The cooker also makes excellent organic medium grain brown rice. We use it on the porridge setting to cook both steel-cut oats and 7-grain cereal for breakfast.

I think the rice cooker gets used more than any of my other electric appliances. Enjoy your decision and try additional recipes (like the cereals) also.

PS A few months later I bought another "Zo" for when we have company ... Zojirushi NS-ZCC18 10-Cup Neuro Fuzzy Rice Cooker and Warmer, Premium White. It has even more features, but I don't use it as often because of the large amount of rice it makes. Works great!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2009 12:39:34 PM PST
vpenner2 says:
I use a Miracle rice cooker because it is one of the few that has a stainless steel inner pot. Most rice cookers have inner pots that are made of aluminum or have a non-stick surface, and I want to avoid those. I like it very much, it makes good brown rice and wild rice and other grains, and cleanup isn't that hard once it soaks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2009 4:25:16 PM PST
JAL says:
I have had a Zojirushi NS-ZCC18 10-Cup Neuro Fuzzy Rice Cooker for almost 2 years now, and I use it on average about 1-2 days per week. It cooks absolutely perfect rice every time. In fact, I was amazed at how much better just plain old white long grain rice tastes when prepared in this machine. I have a friend who is a gourmet chef and used to live in Japan for a while. She told me that if you buy any Japan-made rice cooker, you can't go wrong. I would have to agree, but based on my experience, I will be buying Zojirushi again, if I ever need to. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2009 6:40:15 PM PST
Hollydayzd says:
Thanks so much for all the wonderful replies! :-)

I have been looking around online to purchase another cooker & they are all priced over $100 - even on eBay. But the same cookers sell for $60-80 at our local Vietnamese market. Wonder why???

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2009 10:32:55 AM PST
Maybe th cheaper ones are counterfeit or knockoffs? I paid almost $150 for my Zojirushi four of five years ago and it has easily paid for itself in saved time and convenience.

I mostly cook basmati rice or California medium grain rice, although I also cook steel cut oatmeal in it from time to time.

My favorite part is that I can start the rice when I start dinner, and I don't have to think about the rice again until it's time to put it on the plate, even if it's a couple of hours later.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 3, 2009 1:46:10 AM PST
Neither, check out the Sanyo ECJ-HC100S. It has really good reviews with consistent results (properly cooked rice) My wife and I did tons of reading around and settled with the Sanyo.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2009 2:27:42 PM PST
Nanners says:
I have never ever had problems with my Zoji's that I've had in the past. They last long, and cook great rice. They also do well at keeping rice warm for a decent length of time without burning or drying out. I recently replaced my 20 yr old Zoji with a Cuckoo (Korean brand), and have been pleased with that, too.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of these. The thing to look for in a rice cooker is a hinged lid. Believe it or not, it makes a HUGE difference. The models that have the separate glass lid that you lift off (similar to lids on slow cookers) will collect condensation on them, and eventually drop the condensation back onto the rice. Because of that, rice set to warm will become soggy and mushy VERY quickly. The hinged models have a plate on the lid that helps to collect the condensation, and when you lift the lid, the condensation rolls into a moisture collection piece on the side of the rice cooker. Furthermore, my experience has been that, for some wacky reason, those models with the separate lids are more cheaply made and tend to burn the rice as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2009 4:42:33 PM PST
Personally, I would recommend the West Bend steamer which I bought at Target for about $30.00 over 20 years ago. I cook Jasmine rice, Basmati rice, etc. in it. I makes wonderful steamed mushrooms which I add a lemon/coconut oil sauce (and a little S&P) to, or the most incredible steamed corn on the cob. It is easy, roomy, and makes the most delightful foods. I am always appalled when I see rice cookers offered for $100+ when there are so many good ones available for so much less. Also worthwhile is the QVC Technique 3.5 qt. multi-cooker which runs about $32.00. One can use it for slow cooking, steaming, etc., and it comes with a rice cooking pot. (it also comes in a new 5 qt edition) I love mine (the 3.5 qt.) and used it to make a Jasmine rice rice pudding a few weeks ago - - yumm!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2009 5:37:04 PM PST
While I'm sure your West Bend rice cooker is good enough for you, it is a mistake to assume that other people won't appreciate the qualities of a better one. Clearly you don't see the value of a fuzzy logic rice cooker, but clearly, from reading these messages, many of us do.

No one is telling you that your rice cooker isn't good enough for you. You don't have to defend your purchase. It would be nice, though, if you allowed that other people have other needs, and it is not "appalling" that some people may want more from a rice cooker.

Posted on Feb 5, 2009 9:32:24 PM PST
I have a Tiger 3 in 1 that I bought to replace our ancient rice cooker in 2001. At the time
the fuzzy logic ones weren't that common and Zojirushi products aren't avaliable in AustraliA
(I know they're the Rolls Royce of ricecookers!). It's worked pretty well except there's
always a little layer of very browned rice on the bottom where the heat element is. Also it
doesn"t cook brown rice that well but since I mostly cook Thai or Japanese food, I don't use
brown rice anyway. If I was in a country where I could buy a Zoj that probably what I'd
upgrade to when this one wears out.

Posted on Feb 6, 2009 9:24:50 AM PST
Firefly says:
As an Asian, I grow up with rice cookers. Both Zojirushi and Tiger are highly recommended in Asia.
To choose between these two brands I will suggest you take the following into consideration.
Asian family eat rice for every meal. That is, they usually keep the cooked rice in the rice cooker to keep it warm ready for the next meal. For that, you really need to have a good rice cooker like Zojirushi. Most other rice cookers would make those last meal rice dryer as time go by or sometimes even turn yellow or burn, but Zojirushi is able to keep the rice taste like you just cook it.
So if you keep the cooked rice warm for the next day all the time, I will recommend Zojirushi. If you like most people here keep the left over rice in the fridge and use it in some other way later, I would say save the money and get a Tiger rice cooker.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2009 5:14:08 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Feb 6, 2009 8:33:23 PM PST
coeur vide says:
I like the Zoji rice cooker, the bowl material is a bit thicker which translates to no burnt bottoms. I have the fuzzy logic one that was around $100. My dream one did the sushi rice but this one has fit the bill!

Rice is an important staple to my diet, being Asian, and I just love how this keeps the rice warm (if you still have over half of it left after it's been eaten) and moist. buy one, skip the cheap ones! I've had this one for several years and LOVE , LOVE , LOVE IT! :O)

Posted on Feb 8, 2009 12:46:57 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 8, 2009 12:51:08 PM PST]

Posted on Feb 8, 2009 12:47:01 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 8, 2009 12:47:55 PM PST
Grits says:
We only have a rather old Zojirushi NHS-18 rice cooker (not the more expensive fuzzy-logic model), as well as a Zojirushi bread maker (GREAT for gluten-free bread doughs, by the way). Yes, their products' prices are a little higher, but in the long run I believe the overall cost is lower due to less frequent replacement (either through malfunction or just replacement of other brands and having to buy yet another brand/model). While there will always be fans of almost any product, we researched well before we bought either appliance, and Zojirushi had the highest user-ratings and comments at the time - it doesn't look like that's changed much over the years. They've given us many years of great service, and that's the brand we'll replace with - no question. They've earned our business.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  39
Total posts:  63
Initial post:  Jan 13, 2009
Latest post:  Jul 16, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers

Search Customer Discussions