Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

Senseo coffe pods cancelled?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 305 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 13, 2012 2:17:57 PM PDT
Sukru Tikves says:
I had "subscribe and save" items for 4 pack coffee pods, which were really affordable. However, today I received an email telling both of them are cancelled, and will no longer be carried at amazon.

While the more expensive 6 packs Like this one), which comes to more than $10 per pack is still available.

Does anybody have an idea why they have done this change?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2012 11:52:03 AM PDT
D. Clarke says:
That actually doesn't surprise me. Senseo has been on the decline for a while now. Seems Keurig is king. I think Douwe Egberts really cut their own throat when they put a stop to 3rd party coffee pods. Whereas lots of different companies make all sorts of varieties of K-cups. I remember when it was like that for pods before they put an end to it.

They might be consolidating their lines for cost cutting and phasing out 4 packs in favor of 6 packs. I would guess it was a move by Douwe Egberts and not Amazon, so they are just not available any more. That's just my hunch, I don't have facts to back that up.

With regard to the 6 pack you posted, it was out of stock when I clicked the link so I couldn't see the price, but $60 from Amazon seems very steep (unless it was actually being sold by a 3rd party seller on Amazon, as I've seen egregious prices from them of late on pods). Then again it is the Kona blend, which will always be more expensive. I buy these on subscribe and save Senseo Dark Roast Coffee, 18-Count Pods (Pack of 6). Even they have gone up in price lately, as I was getting them for low to mid $20 before now on SaS. I also see they have the 4 packs in the Dark Roast, so it may just be that Senseo is discontinuing their regional bean pods (Kona, Sumatra, Kenya, etc.) and sticking with Light, Medium, and Dark Roasts of standard beans.

It may come to the point where we have to either make our own pods or switch to Keurig. Although I hope that day does not come any time soon.

Posted on Apr 14, 2012 2:52:25 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 16, 2012 6:18:57 PM PDT
Sukru Tikves says:
I did not know they stopped others from producing competing pods. That explains something, thanks.

I actually did not check whether amazon was the seller for that example, I was still shocked. But almost every 6 pack I searched was priced between $50-$100, which is even more expensive then K-cups - hence the shock. As you said they used to be much cheaper, heck I even remember getting them $14 a box - several years ago.

Do you know how you can make your own pods? I really do not want to switch to Keurig at the moment.

Posted on Apr 16, 2012 2:48:18 PM PDT
Primotenore says:
Coffeeduck Classic: Permanent Refillable Coffee Filter for the Senseo models HD7810-HD7812
Second Generation Coffeeduck PERMANENT Refillable Coffee Filter for the Senseo SUPREME & DELUXE ONLY
Make sure you check your Senseo Model Number.

Posted on Apr 16, 2012 6:30:39 PM PDT
Sukru Tikves says:
Thanks for the product link.

After looking at it, and the alternatives, it seems like there are plenty of ways to go:
1 - The one you've sent above
2 - Paper filters
3 - Plastic filters
4 - Pod making machines

Does anybody have experience with these?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2012 10:29:24 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 27, 2012 10:34:01 AM PDT
D. Clarke says:
I know it has been a while since this post, but in case you are still on the fence Tikves, here are my experiences. I own all the different methods mentioned, but I wanted to do a fair comparison with the same coffee in the same quantity in each method and I didn't have the time until now.

First off, paper filters (I assume you mean the individual preformed ones) work in conjunction with the pod making machines. Other people have just used the smallest of the drip filters and folded over the excess paper and that seems to work, but seems like a hassle to me. There is of course the Perfect Pod Maker but that'll run you $40 or so, there is also this one Perfect Home Coffee Pod Making System By YourCoffeePod. if you don't mind using a hot iron to seal the pods instead of the little self contained machine. Then again it is only $13.

Pros: Easily disposable, convenient, can make many at a time, closest to pre-made pods experience.
Cons: Cost for both the maker and the continuing cost of paper pod refills.

Next the Ecopad (plastic filters). These would be my first choice for a reusable item. It tasted and looked the same to me as using paper pods. Fits in the double pod holder. This method seems to produce nearly the same pressure as what goes through the paper pods, but probably slightly less.

Pros: Cheap, reusable, same amount of foam as with paper pods, fairly sturdy (except the hindge), little to no water left in the grounds.
Cons: They have to be cleaned out and washed after every use, and the plastic mesh tends to get a bit obstructed over time (however so far I have not found this as detrimental to their use).

The coffee duck is probably my least favorite method. It is its own holder but it is large and there is a lot of room in it unless you pack it with coffee, but that tends to make matters worse. It does not obstruct the flow adequately like the other two methods so you just don't have the pressure pushing the water through the grounds. However it is quick to use and easy to clean. Since the pressure is lower, the grounds retain a good deal of water after it is brewed so not only do you get less in your cup, you have to be very careful when you remove it from the Senseo so you don't spill the residual hot water on yourself or elsewhere. In addition, since the pressure is so much less, the oils don't get as emulsified and you get little to no foam.

Pros: Reasonably cheap comparatively especially since it is reusable and quick cleanup (if you wash your grounds down the sink, if you trash them it's a mess due to the retained water).
Cons: Little to no foam, less coffee in cup than the other methods, slightly weaker taste (probably due to lack of pressure), retained hot water in grounds.

These are just my experiences, others may have had better or worse. Hope this helps.

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 10:37:50 AM PDT
K. A. says:
I thought I had gone crazy, as I couldn't find any myself! The prices from these vendors are crazy! With the K-cup craze I was hoping they would go down in price. I can only hope as well. I may have to try making my own now, which kills the convenience. Thanks for confirming my paranoia!Viva coffee drinkers.

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 10:43:14 AM PDT
Sukru Tikves says:
Thanks, that was very informative.

So, basically it means coffeduck is out, and buying another machine for sealing would be an extra cost.

Between the other two, I'll try the paper ones first, if it does not work, I'll switch to the plastic. I think I can prepare a batch for a week at a time, so it should be manageable.

Once again, thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2012 10:59:18 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 27, 2012 12:17:08 PM PDT
D. Clarke says:
Actually I just found another paper pod method that looks pretty good and reasonably cheap right here on Amazon. Not sure why I haven't seen it before today, but when searching for that link for the other "self-iron" device it came back as a result. You might want to take a look at this, seems easy enough and well reviewed. All you really need is an iron, no special machine or pod holder needed in conjunction with an iron (like that previous one I linked for $13). Coffee Pod Replacement Filters for Coffee Pod Brewers - Make Your Own Pods - 100 PACK - Easy Pack - DisposaPods Would still be cheaper than the premade Senseo ones now, and of course you can use whatever coffee you like.

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 12:19:05 PM PDT
D. Clarke says:
I edited my last post rather extensively, but I am not sure if editing changes flag it as a new posting so others that are reading this thread would know to look, so I am making a new post with this information.

In the reviews of those new paper pods BusyBeth said: "I love my Senseo Coffee pot, I have one at home and at work. I found out that Senseo will stop producing their coffee pods in March 2012 so I have been looking for a product to allow me to continue to use the pod machine." Not sure where she got her information, but if that is true, that totally explains what is going on with premade Senseo pod prices.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2012 2:54:55 PM PDT
I've been making my own pods for years, found the info on a Google search for making Senseo pods. I use a 4 cup paper coffee filter, a 1/4 cup measure with vertical sides (a Senseo pod fits inside perfectly), and a supplement jar that fits inside the 1/4 cup measure almost snugly. Just center the filter on the measuring cup, push down, pot coffee in, fold over the opposite sides of the filter paper, push down with jar again to make sure the folds stay, and place in Senseo. This works fast, cheap and easily. You NEED to be VERY careful anytime you make a pod for any pressurized coffee machine. If one coffee bit gets into the filter and plugs it, even partially, you could have problems up to or including a small steam explosion.

I may consider the very pretty one on eBay, mostly for the looks.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2012 10:44:08 AM PDT
N. Thompson says:
I received an email from Dave's Coffee Pods. They said that when Senseo announced they were going to stop USA production of the coffee pods, people panicked and started buying them up which lead to a shortage. Senseo has started producing them in Brazil and says the supplies should be back to normal soon (whatever that means). They left the US and went to Brazil to save money....I wonder if that means the price will come down? It will be interesting to find out.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2012 12:12:07 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 24, 2012 1:55:54 PM PDT]

Posted on Apr 29, 2012 10:07:47 PM PDT
drmoze says:
You don't need a fancy pod maker. Just use a #4 paper basket filter. VERY easy, simple and quick. Been doing it for years! Just put the paper on the large pod holder, put in a rounded tablespoon of coffee (a bit of practice and you'll know just how much for a full pod each time!), and fold the edges over the top (a square pattern works fine). Then smooth it out by pushing down with your thumbs, and it's ready to go! A finer grind works best (as with any pod),; regular pre-ground drip is a bit coarse. Costs maybe a penny per filter and you can use your favorite coffee!

Also, the coffee duck works fine--again, use a finer grind and pressure builds up fine. You don't want regular drip grind in a senseo; it needs a finer grind, as found in all pods.

Finally, there are tons of pods available still, most better than the Senseo brand. In fact, most pods are individually wrapped and are much fresher than the Senseo ones. Check out Jimmy Zee's for the excellent Cafejo pods, 18 for $6.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2012 6:19:01 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 24, 2012 1:56:09 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2012 10:01:04 PM PDT
jh says:
I have one answer for you that i just found out by my local store told me that senseo is having finanical difficulty and no longer will be carringy it in the store,so thats why you wont find them online on amazon but if you have a local grocery store check out this brand its merita cofee pods i bought them for $ 6.49 for 18 pods .. love them ..

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2012 6:38:38 AM PDT
M. Jacobson says:
Making your own with my pod maker sold on ebay for $9.99 is much less expensive and makes pods fresher and they can be made ahead and stored. Go to ebay and search for Senseo coffee pod makers. We are the cedar one made from recycled wood. Money back guarantee!!

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 4:57:21 AM PDT
Busy Mama says:
go to the senseo store they are at $5.50 a pack

we did

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 5:00:16 AM PDT
Busy Mama says:
sorry its senseo store on line

easy

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 6:47:21 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 3, 2012 6:48:13 AM PDT
GrannyGeek says:
When I queried "senseo coffee pod maker" on ebay, your item didn't turn up just the "other" one, that i assume some guy copied from you. Only when I put in *exactly* senseo pod maker, did your cedar one show up in results.

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 7:30:36 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 24, 2012 2:03:58 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 7:35:04 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 24, 2012 2:03:29 PM PDT]

Posted on May 3, 2012 12:30:47 PM PDT
flipoid says:
I know one reason the Senseo and K-Cup prices have increased (and also maybe partly why Amazon has taken them off S&S) is because the coffee prices recently increased tremendously.

Posted on May 3, 2012 12:56:49 PM PDT
Sukru Tikves says:
Interesting, I did not know that the problem was this big. If coffee prices are rising, it would make sense to stock on that, however coffee does not last :(

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 5:34:46 AM PDT
David KG says:
Yeah this really stinks, I've subscribed to these senseo pods for years now and all of a sudden they are dropping them.
Really sad about this but out of my control.
I've gotten the refillable coffee duck and it works great, especially with an expresso type coffee.
Sad to see the K cups take the lead especially when they are a disgrace and just produce more and more plastic waste! How sad, like the enviroment needs more waste!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Cooking forum (851 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
springform pan 10 36 minutes ago
Twinkie Temple #4 236 2 hours ago
Pressure Cookers 160 4 days ago
Has anyone actually seen Corning Ware Pyroceram or VISIONS cookware explode? 454 10 days ago
Baking in a Breville Smart Oven 161 14 days ago
Good Toaster Oven Cookwear 26 14 days ago
Anyone Use Eat Your Books? 17 16 days ago
Volts 0 17 days ago
92x24 tablecloth 0 19 days ago
Kindle edition vs actual cookbook 4 21 days ago
An alternative to aluminum foil? 36 22 days ago
pasta express ctc machine recipe needed 30 24 days ago

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  87
Total posts:  305
Initial post:  Apr 13, 2012
Latest post:  Sep 3, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 24 customers

Search Customer Discussions