Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

Help finding the BEST hand mixer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-18 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 19, 2012 1:07:15 AM PDT
B. Long says:
KitchenAid 9-Speed Digital Display Hand Mixer candy apple red - With (Free Dough hooks, whisk, milk shake liquid blender rod attachment and accessory bag) Candy Apple RedHamilton Beach 62650 6-Speed Classic Hand Mixer, Silver

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 1:17:45 AM PDT
B. Long says:
I am trying to buy the BEST Hand Mixer out there but I'm confused. How could one KitchenAid Hand Mixer get 4 1/2 star rating from customers BUT be listed as number #50 in Amazons Sales ranking? And then they have a CHEAP Hamilton Beach Hand Mixer that gets TERRIBLE star rating BUT is listed as number #1 in Amazons Sales ranking???? This makes no sense to me - and I've always believed you et what you pay for? But that didn't even work out for me. Last week I ordered (on AMAZON) an EXPENSIVE Viking Digital Hand Mixer but was I DISAPPOINTED IN THAT THING! When it arrived it was beautiful looking, had a digital display (which I never saw because I never turned it on) and the power cord rewound inside the machine for a convenient storage. WELL, the stupid thing was - the 2 beaters would NOT go into the machine together! I could only get one beater to go in but then the 2nd one wouldn't go in no matter what I tried! I kept interchanging them but to no avail! So now it went right back in the box the very same day I got it! I'm waiting for UPS to pick it up. Meanwhile I need help to find out what hand mixer WILL WORK and which is the REAL WINNER! And like I mentioned - the star ratings aren't matching up with the comments from customers?? And this time I won't buy for EXPENSE or looks! HELP!!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 8:46:15 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 19, 2012 8:47:40 PM PDT
S. Kessler says:
Don't go by sales ranking, that has nothing to do with quality. Customer reviews if you read them right are far more meaningful. I have a KitchenAid 9-speed hand mixer and it is excellent. Go with the KA.

One thing to note, though, hand mixers, no matter how good, are not powerful enough to knead bread dough. You need a standing mixer for that.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2012 10:40:42 AM PDT
Sales ranking is the number bought. People probably buy the Hamilton beach for price, hate it, give it a bad review, even if they still send it back it will count as sold.

We bought a kitchenaid hand mixer over 12 years ago and love it. Mine is only 3 or 4 speed but we also have the stand mixer.

Posted on Sep 22, 2012 5:01:30 AM PDT
Grandma says:
People buy the Hamilton Beach because it is cheap. I went through one of that sort every Christmas baking season for more than 30 years LOL. I do have a KA stand mixer that I use for baking bread, but for most things I prefer my KA handmixer - like Becky's, mine is only a 3 or 4 speed. I'm on my second one. The first one I owned for over a decade until the cat one day decided that she preferred to sit in the exact spot on the counter where I had set the mixer and pushed it off onto the stone floor. The mixer still worked, but a large chunk was missing from the housing, so we replaced it with another KA hand mixer. That one is 6 or 7 now.

BTW, if I could have just ONE mixer, it would be the KA handheld, not the stand mixer. The handheld does things that you cannot easily do with a stand mixer - like beat something over simmering water.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2012 10:09:47 AM PDT
I love my little KA mixer although I use it mostly to whip egg whites, whip cream, and to make cakes. For everything else I use my KA stand mixer or my Blend Tec.

That HB burns up right away.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2012 10:35:11 AM PDT
B. Long says:
We use our older Cuisinart hand mixer for mashed potatoes about 2 times a week. Like I said - the Cuisinart is starting to get cracked on the plastic body but it still works. I just want to buy a new one in case this Cuisinart breaks up too much. The Cuisinart has worked perfectly for years but I chose not to order another Cuisinart due to the fact that I have read that some people are intermittently having problems with the beaters not staying in after a while...So I just bought the KitchenAid 9 speed to replace it (after just buying 2 different kinds with horrible results so far!!) My worries NOW are that someone wrote saying NOT to buy the KitchenAid from the seller on Amazon because they sell defective products?? Gosh I hope not! I just got my KitchenAid last night so tonight I am going to make mashed potatoes to see how well it does. I am also keeping the box because I don't trust that it will stand up to wear after reading that post about this seller. I also have the KitchenAid 6 Quart Stand mixer for years but hate taking it out because it's so heavy and I also don't want to keep it on the counter top. Wish me luck on this 3rd hand mixer purchase!!!! I have never had this much of a problem with one single item that I have been trying to buy. I never send things back because it's too much of a hassle.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2012 10:42:31 AM PDT
Oh oh I see. Beware of the various sellers on Amazon. I only buy *directly* from Amazon or if it says 'fullfilled by Amazon'. Otherwise it's like shopping ebay. Shop careful.

KA is also not as hardy as it used to be. My washing machine and dryer aren't like the ones my parents had either. Neither is my apple peeler...That little hand mixer you're talking about has held up fine for me though. Just save the paperwork in case.

Posted on Oct 10, 2012 2:37:30 PM PDT
I agree with B. Long about the Cuisinart hand mixer. Mine is probably 15 years old and it still works great. The best part is the timer. Then when the recipe says beat on low for three minutes, I do.

Posted on Oct 10, 2012 2:38:33 PM PDT
I agree with B. Long about the Cuisinart hand mixer. Mine is probably 15 years old and it still works great. The best part is the timer. Then when the recipe says beat on low for three minutes, I do.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 10:24:49 AM PDT
B. Long says:
Boy - do I agree with you on the NEW KithenAid products not being as good as they used to be in the past!!!!! I also have a new home with KA appliances and alsready have had to have constant repairs on my darn KA "SELF CLEANING" oven. But one problem every time you used the self clean mode it makes the oven die and then you have to call out a reppair company to keep replacing the PART that keeps screwing up because it makes the oven OVER heat from the self clean mode. AND after much research I found out that EVER SINGLE owner who has a self clelan KA oven has the SAME EXACT PROBLEM and constantly has to have it fixed! I went on the Better Business Bureau and made a complaint and they got a hold of KA and suddenly KA is calling me at home about my complaint. I tried to tell them I can have it fixed today self clean tomorrow and call out for another repair the next day!! It CAN NOT BE FIXED!! NEVER ever!! I am at the point I want a new oven without the self clean but they won't have it. I need a lawyer to sue these damn people!! I told them if EVERYONE has this same problem then YOU have a defective oven and need to make a recall to which they said NO!! Just keep calling to have the part replaced. I did that for one month - over and over again - but all that happened was I got frustrated and they KA could care less! So after 4 years of this crap I am now using my oven as a NO SELF CLEAN Oven - damn KitchenAid! By the way - I just received the new Kitchen Aid 9 speed digital hand mixer last night for making mashed potatoes and so far so good - but hey - give it a few more months and I'll let you know if it still keeps working!!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 10:28:35 AM PDT
Grandma says:
You can make a complaint about a faulty product with the feds you know - and perhaps force a recall. I should think that there is a distinct fire danger involved in this overheating.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 10:38:00 AM PDT
B. Long says:
Now that I bought a KitchenAid 9 speed digital hand mixer to replace the last 2 not working hand mixers I hope that one works. I'm worried because first of all it is sold by another person - not Amazon - and because I'm worried about this new digital method because it might be too fragile for heavy duty working like I use it for when cooking. Sometimes digital has more problems than old fashioned dials. Read below about my absolute horror working with NEW KitchenAid products and working with KitchenAid customer Service! They suck and won't stand behind their products. I can't even use the self cleaning mode on my self cleaning KA oven because it shuts down with every try for 4 years since it was first bought!! And to top it off after all the research I've done on that same problem with other KA owners they too have the same exact pjroblem and KA won't replace these damn ovens - they have the nerve to say that they never heard of this problem from others. I am yelling at them over the phone to just read the Better Business Bureau page about your self clean problems with all other owners and you will see I am NOT the ONLY one with this problem. I give up working with Kitchen Aid and their customer service. So I sure hope AMAZON will honor this hand mixer if it too fails on me!! I do have the 6 quart Kitchen Aid STAND mixer but it's too big and too heavy to use every day and beside - I have had sever back surgery and can't lift that machine when ever I need it - So a hand mixer is much more handy for me to get out when I need it. Wish me luck on this KA 9 speed digital hand mixer??!!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 10:42:51 AM PDT
B. Long says:
The only problem I had with this policy is that Amazon was not selling the same KA 9 speed hand mixer at the time so I ended up buying it from a outside seller. I am going to be pissed off if I have a 3rd hand mixer not work on me but I hope Amazon stands behind their sellers on their site! If I have one more problem I think I'm going to get out the duct tape and tape up my OLD Cuisinart and hold it together because at least it still works - cracks and all!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 10:51:48 AM PDT
B. Long says:
Oh my god - how do I do that? You look up the same problem I have and you'll see that EVERY SINGLE OTHER OWNER has the same problem with their SELF CLEANING OVENS over heating and then automatically shutting off. Then you have to make a service call to KitchenAid and then they have to call an authorized service call. THEN I have to wait for them to come out and listen to your problem and then they have to order a part. NOW you have to wait another 1 - 2 weeks for the part to arrive at your house and you have to re-call the service company. Then they make another appointment to come out and then fix it. ON PURPOSE I told them I was going to turn on the self clean again and show them that it wasn't going to work! I told them I could do this over and over again but to no avail. I could have you out here every week for ever till you or I get sick of this...and I finally did get sick of it. So now I use it as a NO SELF clean oven. I am sick and tired of Kitchen Aid appliances and will NEVER put them in my home again! Unfortunately i already have their side by side refrig. - cook top - dishwasher - and of course the SELF CLEANING oven...what a joke. aThe only thing in my house that was not a KA is the microwave...thank god! And of course it's the only appliance that never gives me a problem.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2012 4:33:11 PM PDT
OldAmazonian says:
B Long,
Could you make your long story short, and tell us exactly what your oven does that convinces you it is malfunctioning? Exactly how hot does it get [at maximum] when self-cleaning? Our ancient Whirlpool self-cleaning oven locks at the start of a cleaning cycle and will not again unlock until the oven has finally cooled down to a safe temperature. It was designed to do that.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2012 8:09:14 AM PDT
B. Long says:
It's digital - 4 years old but has done this since day 1. You hit self clean and it automatically locks door. After a few minutes an error on oven flashes and now the door will unlock after cooled. At this point the oven will no longer heat up - NOT AT ALL! Now oven is just a cold box. Unusable. So I keep calling "whirlpool-KA 800 number" on the oven door and they send someone out. Person says - it over heated from self clean cycle needs a new thermostat ordered. New thermostat is ordered they send it to my house. I now call again and they send out repairman again! Now he replaces thermostat and you hit self clean again and BOOM same thing happens - over and over again. HAS NEVER WORKED AND EVERYONE ON INTERNET HAS SAME EXACT PROBLEM - SAME DESCRIPTION. Please help - I want to sue I am so pissed off!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2012 8:14:06 AM PDT
Grandma says:
B. Long - do yourself a favor. File a report with the FTC because this is a fire hazard. Then buy yourself a different stove.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Cooking forum (849 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  18
Initial post:  Sep 19, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 14, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions