Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

Got a Question

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 4, 2012 3:36:37 PM PDT
I made some of my "weekend baked chicken" today. I also put a separate side pan of potatoes and carrots in with it. I put the veggies in an oiled pan, sprinkled on my spices, then tossed a bit of sliced green pepper over all. When done, the first two veggies were succulent, yummy, sweet, and tender, but the green pepper was bitter; nauseatingly bitter. I've been cooking for years and I've never had this happen before. Is this common to baked green pepper? Appreciate any feedback anyone has. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2012 4:03:32 PM PDT
They were probably too green. Our eyes tend to naturally favor the greenier, prettier peppers in the store but often those aren't quit ripe yet.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2012 4:17:39 PM PDT
"They were probably too green. Our eyes tend to naturally favor the greenier, prettier peppers in the store but often those aren't quit ripe yet."

Never heard of this. I was told that the more they ripen they turn red, or yellow, etc. What should one look for to get a sweet green pepper? Light green? Thank you for your help. I was truly perplexed.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2012 4:27:42 PM PDT
I'm terrible at picking out foods that are naturally green- Granny Smith's, watermelons, green peppers from the store. I seem to do fine from my own garden. My apple tree is harder, I simply have to sample near the end of September. Which is easy since my children generally can't wait and go for them early.

This tells me store bought peppers etc are picked just before ripening and probably sold too soon. I would look for a deeper green.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2012 4:44:06 PM PDT
"Look for a deeper green"

Thank you. I got this one at the local farmers market, and I tend to get all gooey when I enter any produce area. It all looks like fine art to me, so I "drool" my way about things.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2012 1:12:04 AM PDT
Pampeliska says:
(I might be trying to play the role of Mr. Obvious Man, but I am going to say it anyway :) Have you tried eating a piece of it raw (if you still have any left)? Maybe you just got a 'rotten apple' and it just tastes 'off' in the first place.
I just bought bunch of carrots, two of them tasteless, hard and mealy (I think the word is 'ligneous') and the rest deliciously tender, juicy and sweet.

Posted on Aug 5, 2012 5:33:42 AM PDT
Jip' was the flesh of the pepper thinner than you're used to seeing?
There are a few things, several actually that can make a green pepper taste off or bitter.
To begin with for most of the country it's been a drought year so if the plant your pepper came from was at the end of a row and didn't get quite enough irrigation the flesh will be thin, dark and bitter.
A pepper plant that is planted next to certain other vegetables can also effect the taste.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2012 8:53:13 AM PDT
April says:
My mother used to blanch the peppers before she made stuffed peppers with ground beef that cooked in the oven. She said she did it to reduce the bitter taste and make them sweeter.

I can't vouch for this since i dont think I ever made stuffed peppers. I guess, growing up in the 70's that I was served too many dishes made with ground beef, so I rarely bought ground beef for anything but hamburgers on the grill.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2012 10:07:26 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 5, 2012 10:15:25 PM PDT
Pampeliska:
I DO NOT eat any fresh produce that has not been cooked first, including lettuce, which I fry or steam before putting it on a sandwich. (Don't knock it until you try it - -it stays crispy and the flavor gets even better. I just dump a bag of pre-cut salad greens into my taco sauce and cook it about ten minutes too - - YUM!)

We've had too many bacterial concerns with food lately and I cannot afford the contamination. I have heart issues and have to try to avoid any infections.

So, I did not taste it. I did notice that it seemed a bit tough when I was cutting it.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2012 10:13:39 PM PDT
P. Fulton:

I did notice that it was thin skinned, but tough as I tried to cut it. When it was cooked, it was not the prettiest green. Did not notice any issues with smell, looks, etc. other than that the top seemed a bit wrinkled and pinched. I just thought it was aging in my refrig. (2 days worth.) Thanks for your help.

"A pepper plant that is planted next to certain other vegetables can also effect the taste. "

I thought it would affect the taste of the other veggies.

My favorite uncle (now sadly passed) fed his cattle onions, green peppers, garlic, scallions, carrots, potatoes, apples, etc., (Said they "LOVED" them) and I used to tease him that his meat came pre-seasoned.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2012 10:20:11 PM PDT
April;
Did your mom ever make stuffed pepper using sweet red peppers? I want to try this. I have never made any kind of stuffed peppers,but it seems a bit like porcupine meatballs set into a pepper shell. I would have to use red, yellow, orange or maybe a chocolate pepper, etc. I crave red peppers like they are apples. LOVE them in my stir fries and in my fish soups. Same with yellow peppers, but not as much with them as with the reds. All of the produe look like art to me, so I have to stroll through the produce section like I am in an art gallery -- enchanted!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2012 12:29:23 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 6, 2012 12:50:51 AM PDT
Pampeliska says:
jipsii M'Sina said:
"I DO NOT eat any fresh produce that has not been cooked first, including lettuce, which I fry or steam before putting it on a sandwich. (Don't knock it until you try it)."

Nope, would not dream of 'knocking it'. I do the same thing.
The 'spring mix salad' leaves that some natural grocery stores carry in bulk or other sell pre-packaged (usually mix of Romain and oak leaf lettuce, spinach, arugula, red and green chard, frisée and radicchio, etc.) is great for a raw salad, but just as delicious stir fried.

Since I eat meat with moderation, my favorite vegetarian meal are ANY green leaves such as already described plus kale, chard, even (and especially) dandelion leaves...
Kale, chard and other 'tough' greens will take more time, but spinach and the rest will require just brief sauteeing together with chopped nuts, raisins and portabella mushrooms... then I finish with 'zingy' flavorful Jamaican Original Pickapeppa Sauce - 5 oz and served with rice they make surprisingly satisfying and delicious meal.
The slight bitterness of the greens gets balanced by the raisins and the sauce. Portabellas add bulk, 'meatiness' and of course their excellent flavor, nuts supply protein and crunchiness, and the result is just delightful.

And yes, anyone laughing at eating sauteed dandelion leaves, I would say the same, "don't knock it before you try it'.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2012 7:08:06 AM PDT
MommaCat says:
Are you able to grow your own produce? Even if you live in an apt as I did for many years, if you have even a small porch or balcony you can grow a small amount of vegetables in pots such as peppers and tomatoes and be pesticide free. Depending on where you live you can have these year round. I live in Utah so am restricted to summers. But depending on how much room you have, you may be surprised how much you can get out of a small space. There are books on small space gardening and it doesn't take all that much time out of your day. Certainly less than shopping and cost so much less in the long run. And taste? Ohhh...

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2012 8:44:48 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 6, 2012 8:54:16 AM PDT
Pampeliska says:
(this is off-topic, just your comment made me remember the best lemons I have ever had in my entire life.)
I've been 'gifted' with mostly just brown thumb and have not had much success growing things in general, but I used to live with a friend, who had three huge pots with lemon bushes. They were sitting on the front porch for most of the year, just had to be dragged inside for couple of months in the winter. Completely organic, as she was using no artificial fertilizer.
They produced THE absolute best tasting miniature lemons you could possibly imagine. More of an orange rather than yellow color, size of about grape tomato, soft, thin and thoroughly edible skin, crisp and juicy flesh, just tart enough to made them delectable, but sweet enough where you could eat them with nothing at all. And they were so prolific, no matter how much you harvested, there was another bountiful crop the next day.
When you said "And taste? Ohhh..." I got strong craving for those lemons (unfortunately roommate and lemon bushes long gone...)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2012 8:51:19 AM PDT
MommaCat says:
I have more of a black than brown thumb, so feel your pain' but for some reason am able to grow herbs. That's a huge savings for me and great tasting. I was also able to grow grape tomatoes much to my shock. Start slow and give yourself a chance. Sometimes the less attention you pay to things the better they do.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2012 1:14:59 PM PDT
widowTink says:
I learned a tip for choosing watermelons.....look for a nice yellow spot on the melon. That's where it sat on the ground as it ripened and sweetened. Does the melon feel heavy? Nice yellow spot and feels heavy...that's how you tell. I use to thump and thump on them but I couldn't tell anything from slapping the melons, and I use to get flavorless melons. Now I can usually find a good one!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2012 1:18:11 PM PDT
widowTink says:
Hi Momma! Long time no chat!

I am getting a bumper crop of jalapenos from one of these thingys. It's amazing, and takes up NO room in my small backyard! I'm looking for recipes to make candied jalapenos. Next year I want to use the hanging thingy for tomatoes, too. I wonder if it would work for sweet peppers as well?????

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2012 9:12:16 PM PDT
MommaCat says:
hmmm...might as well give it a try. Can't help wondering about weight, but what do you have to lose?

Candied jalapenos? You've got to tell me about that!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2012 5:37:08 AM PDT
widowTink says:
Well, they have one for 'maters, and they get heavy, so I think, why not some juicy bells???? I use a TON of bell peppers..I like red ones the best.

Candied jalapenos are sliced, boiled in sugar syrup, put up in 1/2 pint jars. I've never canned anything in my life....this will be my virgin canning experience. I got a "canning for dummies" book from the library. It was my son's idea, when I mentioned how many peppers I've got going on. I guess they are awesome on meats, in salads and even for eatin' out of the jar. I'm plannning on putting up enough jars to make christmas presents.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2012 8:44:36 AM PDT
MommaCat says:
That takes sweet and hot to a whole new place! Let me know how it is.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2012 11:54:25 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 12, 2012 11:57:19 AM PDT
"I like red ones the best."

YUMMM!! I CRAVE red peppers and they are like art to me when I get to the produce section of the supermarket. I was once going to try to candy them, but didn't get there. But, like you, I like red ones the best too - - and I like a selection - - I just bought a bag of mini mixed sweet peppers with red, yellow, orange and green. They are about 2-3" long and can be set whole into a roasting pan wiht a roast or chopped or even tossed whole into fried potatoes. YUMM! Red peppers give a nice touch to fish chowders. And, a stir fry does not work without them. Anyone ever candied sweet peppers (like candied fruits?)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

ARRAY(0x9a9db30c)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  21
Initial post:  Aug 4, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 12, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions