Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

best non stick hi heat cookware

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 74 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 3, 2011 2:08:47 PM PDT
Cloud says:
Am intrigued by the Zwilling Henckels Twin Spirit "breakthrough" fry pan for non-stick high temperature cooking. Anyone has experience with this line?

Posted on Oct 4, 2011 8:01:32 AM PDT
No I don't but if you do end up buying it stop back and let everyone if you like it.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2011 8:12:52 AM PDT
GW™ says:
I bought a fairly pricey little Swiss Diamond n/s pan & have found it to be sturdy, but LESS than non-stick.
But, at least the surface has not scratched or flaked off like the cheapies do.

I too would be interested in your report if you decide to take the plunge with the Henckels.
I've had their knives for years & years. They make quality products.

Posted on Oct 4, 2011 2:48:26 PM PDT
Cloud says:
Gilt has them on sale but Amazon sites are comparable. Am still researching but will post if I take the plunge. Have been using the Emeril non-stick which are quite good after 2 years but showing age from sauteing, stirfry.

Posted on Oct 5, 2011 9:01:07 AM PDT
MarkD says:
We have a scanpan frying pan that my wife hasn't ruined. No need to look any further.

Posted on Oct 5, 2011 3:07:02 PM PDT
Uberchelle says:
I have several sets at home. I have anodized aluminum (Calphalon) that I got as wedding gifts off my registry, some Wearever non-stick teflon plans, and old-fashioned cast-iron. They all also have different price points.

This Henckels Zwilling looks very similar to regular teflon and if that's the case, you willl still probably have to use a little oil or a little PAM to ease stuff out. And I also suspect that the durability of these pans are similar to teflon models. I've looked at several of my girlfriends Calphalon teflon pans and many of them are pretty much unusable since the teflon was scraped (its one of the main reasons I didn't register for the teflon ones since they often get thrown out once the teflon is deeply scratched).

All can be "non-stick", but I think it depends on the user and how careful/careless they are and what they are willing to pay for it. The anodized aluminum, requires high heat and some oil and IMHO, could not use these pans when we were living in an apartment using an electric stove. They are heavy-duty and will last me forever as they have riveted metal handles, too. Now, that we purchased a home and I got the kitchen plumbed for gas----these are great! They can go from stovetop, oven, table to fridge (although, don't necessarily recommend that). They are on the pricier side.

I still revert to the Wearever teflon pans (or any decent teflon pan) for making eggs and omelettes because I like ungreasy eggs (just a quick shot of Pam). You can pick up inexpensive teflon fry pans at WM, that red bullseye store, and other home/discount stores. Most of these will have plastic handle, so you can never put them in the oven either. Once they are scratched, I throw them out and don't feel too bad for throwing out a $20 pan.

I direct my husband to use the cast iron pans because he's very careless with pans. He doesn't care to use wooden, plastic, or silicone on teflon. He's ruined so many pans and I've gone ballistic on expensive pans I've had to throw out because of his carelessness. He's the guy that will drop a sharp knife into a teflon pan in the sink, forever damaging it and think I am over-reacting. He can pop the pan into the oven or use it on the stovetop. Since they are seasoned, they are nonstick. If he drops a knife in it in the sink, I can easily re-season the pan. The only problem with cast-iron is that it is heavy and most people don't properly season their pans. I think most people think of cast iron as "camping" cookware, but they are so versatile! They can virtually last forever, they are non-stick (if seasoned correctly) and they last forever. They do tend to cost more than cheap teflon pans, but significantly less expensive than the pricey stuff.

And as for the Henckels name, make sure that the stuff you get is REAL Henckels from Germany and not the Henckels-licensed stuff. HUGE DIFFERENCE.

Posted on Oct 5, 2011 5:10:26 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 5, 2011 5:10:53 PM PDT
GW™ says:
Uberchelle is right.
Henckels, I fear, has tarnished their reputation by putting their name on so many inferior products.

Posted on Oct 6, 2011 2:16:59 PM PDT
Cloud says:
I had that experience with inferior Calphalon cookware I bought at NYC Macy's. When I complained to the Calphalon demo "chef", he dismissively replied that it depends on which series I bought even though the boxes and advertising promote the same qualities. Therefore I switched to the cheaper Emeril line after consulting Consumer Reports as additional reference (though I don't agree with all of CR's listings). After 2 years my Emeril has performed far better than the costly Calphalon of which I had 2 series.. The handles with their logo reveal the price and quality difference. The Le Creuset did not hold up under the high heat searing techniques I used when I had gas so I tossed them.

I also use the Staub Cocottes for roasts, stewing, slow cooking. i love the knobs on the inner lid that baste naturally. My Lodge and Staub cast iron pans have not worked well for me though I've tried seasoning over low heat or in oven. I must not be doing something right as most users rave about it as Uberchelle does. I have used coarse salt to clean or quick rinse with soap and water followed by slow heating to dry. They are great for steaks and hamburger patties but not much else for me as eggs, sausages, hash brown, etc all stick. :( Of course, I never put my pans in the dishwasher though I have been tempted at times following a big meal.

I find that the homely, heavy duty wok the best for stir frying and high heat searing but the shape is ungainly, takes up too much space and wobbles on my current electric elements (during relocation I had to give up my gas) so I look forward to an induction stove in the future.

I may hold off on investing in the untested Henckell's and just use the cheap, disposable teflon for omelettes as Uberchelle advises or try the Swiss Diamond which is also pricey but enduring(?). I am not familiar with the Scanpan.

Thank you all!

p.s. any one has experience with non-pilling sheets (1200 tc or bamboo). may start another thread on this.

Posted on Oct 7, 2011 10:42:19 PM PDT
Rachel Pace says:
Ultrex my mom swears by it.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2011 1:51:45 PM PDT
Cloud says:
Just googled Ultrex resulting in extreme love/hate (1* or 5*) ratings with no midground but it's seemingly out of business now. Interesting. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2011 3:07:52 PM PDT
I STRONGLY urge you to check out Todd English's Green Pans on HSN. I know it might sound a bit cheesey, but they are THE ABSOLUTE BEST!!! I brought my first set 3-1/2 years ago and have bought three more since for gifts. They are good for up to 800 degrees and I don't know of another pan that claims that. If you get a chance to watch them on air, it's pretty cool to see what they do. HThey clean up amazingly too. Seriously, I can't say enough great things about them, nor can my Mom, my brother or my daughter who all cook regularly. They have also developed three different lines in the GreenPan serious to give you options. All of these non-stick teflon stuff is just awful from a health perspective too. GreenPans have been designed to be the best non-stick on the market with non of the health risks. You owe it to yourself (and your family) to check them out. Happy cooking!

Posted on Oct 8, 2011 8:07:46 PM PDT
Cloud says:
Your recommendation has me surfing for info on this seeming amazing technology. So far only 2 negative reviews on multiple sites: 1 on blueberry discoloration and another on sticking despite careful seasoning and problems with refund. Vast majority love this line so I will cautiously research which Green Pan series is the latest/bestest as the handles look different as well as, labeling (stainless, copper, hard anodized, Thermalon etc.). Since my experience with the Calphalon bait and switch taught me to examine the finer details, I am more careful now.

I appreciate your kind direction and welcome any other comments you might have on the different series as you have bought at least 3 sets over time.
PS this line seems to be manufactured in China which may lead to rejection by some shoppers.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2011 10:53:20 AM PDT
M. Thompson says:
While I rarely have bad things to say in a review, as its always possible its my fault, I bought one of these Green Pans and absolutely hate it! But see for yourself:
http://forums.hsn.com/hsn_postst13404_Todd-English-Green-Pan.aspx

This is a HSN forum, and most of the remarks mirror my experiences.
Mike

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2011 2:09:57 PM PDT
Cloud says:
Thanks M for sharing your experience. Will check it out.

Posted on Oct 9, 2011 4:02:41 PM PDT
Lloyd Dull says:
Once you come to terms with that fact that no nonstick pan will last, no matter who makes it, it is silly to overspend on prestige pans. Pay for things that are useful and important. But it is a mistake to underspend too. You need steel if you use induction. Most nonstick pans are aluminum. Pick it up and test it's heft. A sturdy pan will heat better and more evenly. Aluminum is soft and will scratch and react with acids. If it is painted, it will scratch off. Stainless steel or anodized aluminum will hold up longer. Pans that are cheap are cheaply made in more than one area.

My opinion - T-Fal is probably one of the best reasonably priced nonstick. Kenmore anodized aluminum nonstick uses Eclipse reinforced nonstick and have held up pretty well.

Using too much heat will shorten the life of a nonstick pan. Overheating oil in a pan will cause it to become "sticky" - and reduce the nonstick performance of the pan.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2011 9:36:57 AM PDT
Raven says:
Good points. I also see Circulon, which I read about in a previous post, getting a lot of good reviews on Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2011 5:53:14 PM PDT
L. Murray says:
I have a Circulon Infinite 10-1/2-Inch Covered Buffet Casserole that I love. I had bought an induction burner a few months back and needed a pan to use on it as the decent ss cookware set I currently own would not work. Well, sadly the burner had to be sent back but I kept and have used this Circulon pan nearly every day since. I liked it so much that I found the Circulon Infinite Hard Anodized Nonstick 10-Piece Cookware set here on Amazon and added it to my wish list. The one downside is that the lids are not glass so I am re-adjusting my cooking habits and trusting my stove and Circulon cookware more instead of lifting the lid every few minutes. Just a few minutes ago I received an email from Amazon for 20% off kitchen and dining purchases if you used the Rewards Visa card, which I use a lot (geez, too much) for Amazon purchases. I got my complete $210 Circulon set for $167. I am a REAL happy camper!

Posted on Oct 11, 2011 6:05:54 PM PDT
Cloud says:
Circulon does seem to get good reviews and might be worth the price. Since I often use high temp for searing. stir fry and notice the "sticky" results on the cheaper models that Lloyd Dull warned about. Happy cooking on your new cookware and sorry about your induction burner. I am saving up for a stove. Europeans and Japanese are contented users of this technology which USA is very slow to accept for some reason.

Thank you.

Posted on Oct 14, 2011 8:21:50 PM PDT
I've gone through so many non-stick pans over the years, I have finally given in and purchased a Lodge cast iron pan. I wanted something more useful than a skillet though, so I bought the 12 inch two-sided griddle/grill pan. I can use the flat side to make pannini style sandwiches using the cast iron press I bought at the same time, I can brown meat on it for stews, cook eggs, bacon, or just warm up a slice of pizza on it. I haven't used the ridged grill side yet, but I know it will grill a steak wonderfully. The griddle and the press both came pre-seasoned, I simply washed it, coated it lightly with some cooking oil, and put it into a moderate to low oven for a couple of hours. I repeat this whenever it gets some heavy use. I leave it out on the stovetop so we automatically use it instead of looking through pots and pans for one for the job. If it can be cooked or heated on the griddle, that pan is right on the stove to be used. The more you use the pan the better it performs. I love that Lodge is made in America (the non-enameled line, at least) and I am no longer worried about the toxic properties of the other non-stick pans.

Posted on Oct 15, 2011 5:38:38 AM PDT
curious cook says:
I now have two of these pans -- de Buyer Mineral Pan, Fry Pan: 12" and I absolutely adore them. Maintained like a cast iron skillet (no soap, seasoned) they are sublimely non-stick, and there is no coating to wear off. If you are willing to maintain the seasoning, then I urge everyone to give these a try. They are a bit heavy, but I have yet to have anything stick, and they give everything a beautiful sear, and maintain heat like no other pans I have -- so much so, that I had to learn to cook everything at slightly lower temps than usual.

Posted on Oct 15, 2011 9:29:06 AM PDT
No experience with it but as far as I know non-stick is unhealthy chemically. Xtrema cookware is good for high temps and not really non-stick but stuff cleans out of it really well. It is also much much more eco-friendly to produce than metal cookware.

Posted on Oct 15, 2011 1:04:44 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 15, 2011 1:10:54 PM PDT
I own a 12 piece set of Anolon Advanced. It is by far the best non-stick cookware I have ever used. It handles high heat with no problems at all. I love the sear it gives a great steak (getting hungry as i type). I have kept bits and pieces of inferior cookware for my husband and son to use since they won't listen...they will use metal utensils...so they're forbidden to use the Anolon. I also got one heck of a deal on a brand new set...under $200.00. Just 48 hours later, the same set was selling for well over $200.00. I love to shop, love to shop even more when it's a bargain and or a steal.

Posted on Oct 15, 2011 2:24:56 PM PDT
northeast says:
IKEA 365+stainless (non-stick) 9" fry pan $12.95 suitable all cooktops, indestructable and i have been destroying non sticks for years

= stainless

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2011 6:23:55 AM PDT
NJ Mom of 2 says:
I just got the Anolon bronze set. I absolutely love it also. I have never had non-stick pans that worked so well. They clean beautifully, are not too heavy and are really pretty. I look forward to having them for many years. It took me 26 years to break down and get a new set of pots and I am glad I did it. For anyone looking for "cheapie" frying pans, get Tramontina (got mine at Costco) and season them. They work pretty well for the price.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2011 10:56:07 PM PST
Peter Lee says:
Todd English frying pans in my opinion are garbage. You need to use oil to prevent the item from sticking. You might as well use a cast iron pan if your going to use oil. Pan does stain and you will need to use an abrasive cleaner to remove said stain. I use baking soda. The amount of effort needed to clean this pan is not worth the price of ownership.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Cooking forum (843 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
What Are The "Must Haves" From...PENZEYS ? 103 19 hours ago
Twinkie Temple #4 172 1 day ago
Fondant 4 3 days ago
Baking in a Breville Smart Oven 146 12 days ago
Pressure Cookers 153 21 days ago
American made products 172 24 days ago
Sun Tea Jar??? Need help finding one... 64 25 days ago
Microwave not made in China? 17 Jun 3, 2014
Has anyone actually seen Corning Ware Pyroceram or VISIONS cookware explode? 395 May 30, 2014
Ethnic Vegetarian 0 May 30, 2014
Healthy Crockpot Recipes <3 0 May 29, 2014
Bread top falls 7 May 27, 2014

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  45
Total posts:  74
Initial post:  Oct 3, 2011
Latest post:  May 30, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions