Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

What's the worst restaurant meal you've had?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 28 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 8, 2012 7:29:50 AM PDT
MommaCat says:
I love trying new places and when a new Mexican restaurant opened, I tried it.

We went very early so it was not surprise that the place was empty (that was the idea). When the food came, I took a bite and had to spit it into my napkin. I called the waitress over and said. "This tastes like it's loaded with black pepper!" She beamed at me at said, "Yes, that's how we make it here."

I told her I wouldn't eat it or pay for it. Fortunately, my husband and daughter only got tacos and they were edible so I drank my water and then we left.

Posted on Aug 8, 2012 10:34:16 PM PDT
Last night, at Umami Burger (California) - ordered the sweet potato fries. Sounds straightforward. They looked beautiful!! Lovely portion, perfectly cooked. The smell was off. Cinnamon. They were sprinkled with cinammon sugar. Inedible. Ugh. It was just WRONG. We sent them back and asked for plain, with just a little salt. PERFECT. Hot, crisp, wonderful.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2012 7:18:59 AM PDT
MommaCat says:
Like sweet on their own wasn't enough? I love sweet potato fries!

Posted on Aug 9, 2012 11:13:28 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 9, 2012 12:10:44 PM PDT
The worst restaurant I have ever eaten in was a steak-house in Ukiah CA. It wasn't the problem with the fact that I have a gluten allergy and am a lacto ovo vegetarian. It was the rudeness that we were treated by the waitress. My husband had heard this was a good steak house so I went along figuring that I would eat a baked potato and that would be it--I had food in the fridge back @ our motel. Well, the waitress was furious, as well as rude. My husband's food was barely edible. The baked potato was not cooked through. We won't be back. My guess is that the waitress was upset that we had a small bill.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2012 12:07:30 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 9, 2012 12:13:31 PM PDT
Pampeliska says:
Most US hotels' buffets, espec. in better hotels (such as Las Vegas) or on cruise lines are always impeccable. Fresh food, replenished constantly, clean silverware and plates, everything just really looks, works and tastes great.

We went for a visit to an un-named Central American country and I got to really appreciate the difference between 'paying attention to detail' and just sloppy, "I don't really care' attitude.
This particular hotel we stayed in was def considered a 'quality' grade, yet the service was lacking substantially. Most of all, though, their breakfast buffet looked good at the first glance and, at the price tag of 18.99, I thought it was price worth splurging.

It was THE worst I have had and I actually left completely hungry. Couldn't eat a thing off of there, and I am NOT that picky about my food.
Coffee was stale and bitter, 'juices' just clearly artificial flavoring with lots of sugar.
The fruit was visibly old, berries and pineapple soft and fermented, cantaloupes and honeydews hard and juiceless.
You could see on most of the items in the bins dry stale rings around, indicating that it either sat there too long or was just refilled with similar warmed-over gunk. All of the entries tasted bland and stale, like really old. The plates did not look that awfully clean in the first place.

Also, over all, food in that country was mostly just fried, very unappealing and unhealthy looking and getting just simple meal of veggies with little starch and non-fried meat was very difficult.

I am not saying that to put down other nationalities (I myself am not native). It just really made me appreciate the high standards of excellence and customer service in general in most of local establishments.

Posted on Aug 12, 2012 9:09:02 AM PDT
widowTink says:
It was a Chinese restaurant in Chinatown, San Francisco. My DH really needed a restroom...we walked by this place that had speakers blaring about the food inside, so we went in. The restroom key was attached to a huge tire rim. The food was completely inedible....it looked green and shriveled, the chicken was tough and at least 3 days old....everything in the buffet was gross. We had to eat SOMETHING for him to get the restroom key. He said the restroom should have been condemned. Lesson learned: in San Francisco Chinatown DO NOT go into a restaurant that has loudspeakers outside. There's a reason for that. (Yes, we both got tremendous "intestinal distress" afterwards......)

Posted on Aug 20, 2012 7:09:10 PM PDT
It was some stuffed spinach raviolli, i cant remember the name of the restaurant but it was not too far from the beach

Posted on Aug 20, 2012 7:46:48 PM PDT
D. Robinson says:
I can't remember what the meal was called, but it was some kind of chicken dish at a Chiese restaurant. Described in the menu as " moderately spicy," this dish had more chiles than chicken. Took one bite and I was done, felt like I'd been pepper sprayed.

Posted on Aug 20, 2012 8:21:39 PM PDT
S. Kessler says:
I've had quite a few bad ones in my time. But one of the very worst had to be in Lee, MA, in the Berkshires, after we had been on the road all day coming from NYC and it was time to stop for dinner. It was a Sunday night and mostly everything was closed already. There was a decent looking, rather old-fashioned looking Italian restaurant on the main street. Seemed a safe bet. I ordered lasagna, and I swear what they gave me was barely heated up Buitoni frozen lasagna. It was horrible. I couldn't even eat it. This was at least 25 years ago, and I figure the place is probably no longer there.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2012 6:57:47 AM PDT
MommaCat says:
That reminds me of the Chinese restaurant I went to that served me Campbells Chicken Noodle soup.

I sent it back.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2012 7:15:51 AM PDT
S. Kessler says:
I kinda remember poking at the lasagna. Sad.

Posted on Aug 21, 2012 8:21:49 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 21, 2012 12:42:19 PM PDT
U. Nwabuoku says:
I've had my share of bad restaurant food but the prize has to go Oduduwa in East Orange NJ. Back in 2006 my boyfriend took me there for a treat,thinking it would be nice to give me some Nigerian cuisine. I ordered fish in tomato sauce. The first bite was a mouthful of fish scales and some sort of incendiary pepper. I promptly got scales stuck in my throat and refused to take another bite. I hear they've improved since then,but I won't go near the place. I would like to sic Gordon Ramsey on them,just on principle.
The tie for the top prize must be awarded to Uncle Nick's, the Greek restaurant on 8th Avenue and 29th St ,near Penn Station NYC. Frozen (then not-completely-thawed)spanakopita? Rubbery,reheated calamari? Wilted salad greens hidden under a layer of fresh in a DEEP salad bowl?. Yup, I went there with a group in May and this all happened on one table.

Posted on Aug 21, 2012 12:20:29 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 21, 2012 12:43:28 PM PDT
GW™ says:
Well.....there WAS that pesky BAND-AID in my salad at Dennys. (inland from "the beach",Clarke)

But I was actually MORE appalled at the LOUSY steak I had at the Tres Ritzy (with prices to match) 'Charlie Parmer' restaurant at the Four Seasons in Vegas.
I've had better steaks at SIZZLER!

On the flip side....I have never had a bad meal at the Delmonico Steakhouse at the Venetian.
It has become my "Go To" steak place in Vegas.

The Encore has a terrific Chinese restaurant. (Wazuzu)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2012 12:25:32 PM PDT
GW™ says:
Kath....you really need to NAME the restaurant. They DESERVE the censure.
I'm sure there are MANY of us who may pass thru Ukiah on our way to....an even lesser known town.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2012 12:32:03 PM PDT
U. Nwabuoku says:
I don't think you are trying to put down anyone. The fact is that you were at an establishment where you paid top dollar for,and therefore reasonably expected to receive, quality. You got faced with a sloppy mess and an apathetic attitude towards customer service. It matters not where it happened,it was unacceptable.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2012 12:32:52 PM PDT
GW™ says:
Clarke,
"The Beach" is pretty dam BIG....care to narrow it down a bit?
I'd like to AVOID this toxic ravioli.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2012 12:35:20 PM PDT
U. Nwabuoku says:
Kathleen, you need to OUT them. I have no problem outing a restaurant that dares charge me premium prices only to give cruddy service.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2012 12:48:12 PM PDT
MommaCat says:
And that's a good thing to point out too. Maybe we should have a great restaurant thread too.

Want to start that GW?

We get so many bad meals...it's gross (and fun) to hear about it, but they need to be outed. Bandaids...come on Denny's.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2012 12:57:51 PM PDT
GW™ says:
I think there WAS one a while back....but OKEY DOKE, Mom.
Will do.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2012 2:02:39 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 21, 2012 2:03:13 PM PDT
Pampeliska says:
(off topic)
Thanks for being so sympathetic... I also remembered the hotel (reasonably expensive near airport) claimed to have had jacuzzi and pool which was main reason we have chosen it in the first place.
Not surprisingly, neither one was working (both 'under construction') and that really irked me... it was an end of an arduous trip and I was SOOO ready for a hot tub soak. Plus there was loud construction noise there throughout the whole day.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2012 5:36:09 PM PDT
its in florida, so dont worry youll sure to avoid it...its about 8 mins away from the hollywood beach

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2012 6:02:09 PM PDT
GW™ says:
Pam....same thing has happend to me TWICE!

In one hotel we actually had to pass through a plastic curtain in the hall to get to our room in the CONSTRUCTION ZONE!!!!
And the carpet in the room was soaking wet. Luckily it was only an overnight stay before a cruise.

The other hotel...a ritzy resort on a lake in Italy, we were awakened each morning (for a WEEK) to jack hammers.
And NO they wouldn't reduce the room rate or give us our money back!
And with it being summer we had no alternative but to stay. It was HELL!

Totally RUINED a whole week of the trip.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2012 6:03:21 PM PDT
GW™ says:
You're right Clarke....I won't be in Fla any time soon.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2012 10:51:35 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 22, 2012 10:53:03 AM PDT
Pampeliska says:
(This is off topic as well... maybe we should start new thread about "What is the worst hotel experience you have had")

OMG... I can relate... the fun of traveling...
we had exact same experience in (prepaid) hotel in New Mexico. No refunds, even partial, and for three days we were greeted with tho noise of jackhammers every morning.

Another hotel had us placed in a room next to their huge A/C unit. It was late in the evening and they claimed they had no other rooms available.
Sleeping there was akin to being stuck in some hellish 'Taos hum' sort of underworld cabin... the constant rumbling noise, vibrating walls and floor... staying there for several days would easily drive me insane.
Fortunately next day we were given another room and the rest of the stay was quite pleasant, but I cannot imagine how could some people stay in that room and actually enjoy it.

Posted on Aug 22, 2012 1:37:16 PM PDT
widowTink says:
Actually had a bad experience at the Disneyland Hotel one time. We had planned the trip months in advance. I had a bit of unexpected surgery shortly before the trip, but I was determined to make it. I ended up having to spend more time in the room resting than I normally would have, and we had a terrible room right next to an elevator shaft that creaked and groaned day and night. Also, I required a bit of a specialized menu, and could not get room service to accomodate my requests (which were NOT out-of-the-ordinary, just special.) Rude room service dude, too. After the trip I wrote to the hotel and told them everything that happened. I got a call from them, they gave me a $100 credit on the room bill, and sent me a few magical surprises in the mail. Disney does it RIGHT. The Guest Service from Disney is phenomenal. That's one of the reasons I love it so.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Cooking forum (843 discussions)

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  28
Initial post:  Aug 8, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 3, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions