Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Gear Up for Football STEM Toys & Games
Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

Non Toxic Cookware Help

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 41 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 26, 2012 7:32:40 AM PST
Pretty Lady says:
Does anyone know of any good nontoxic cookware? I am intested in products not made in China. I would purchase fair trade cookware. I am looking for:

Measuring cups and spoons - not made of plastic, made of stainless steel

Rice Cooker: No aluminum part to cook the rice perferably made of stainless steel or terra cotta

Glass containers: I have the pyrex/anchor ones but replacing lids is becoming too expenisive. I would like some plastic containers without the plastic lids that I can store leftover food in. I also would need multiple sizes.

Cooking utensils (spoons, spactula, laddle): Made of wood. The ones I have are plastic but after a few uses, they tend to chip along the edges. I do have a few wood ones and they work fine.

Pots & Pans: I have the nonstick Tfal collection but the set is made using a verson of Teflon. I honsetly don't trust this cookware and I would like something made of terra cotta because I found that is the only cookware that does not leach. I was looking into Xtrema but that is made in China.

All sugestions are welcomed. I am trying to remove the toxins from my kitchen and create a safe and eco friendly cooking enviroment.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 8:59:08 AM PST
Stainless pot+tight-fitting lid = rice cooker TA DA !
No unfriendly eco waste when that electric rice cooker stops working either
There are several small artisans in Vermont that make out of this world wood cooking utensils.

Very fine, sturdy and durable made in USA pots and pans can be purchased from Man Pan. We love ours.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 9:03:12 AM PST
S. Kessler says:
Any of the good clad stainless steel cookware (All Clad, Calphalon, Cuisinart, etc.) would fit the non-toxic bill.

Stainless steel measuring cups and spoons are easy to find on Amazon or any of the cookware web sites.

I don't know of any rice cookers with a stainless steel bowl. They all seem to be nonstick. I have a good Zojirushi and the bowl is very well made.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 10:59:35 AM PST
Pretty Lady says:
Stainless steel is toxic when heated.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 11:08:41 AM PST
Pretty Lady says:
Stainless steel is toxic when heated. (http://www.curesfromthekitchen.net/healthy-products.cfm) Also, the process to make stainless steel is not ecofriendly. I am interested in the artisans who make cooking utensils. Do you know of any websites?

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 12:30:31 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 12:34:25 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 1:16:48 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2012 1:25:37 PM PST
S. Kessler says:
So, I just looked at a Finnish study that was conducted for the EU. And while they found some transference from cooking utensils and metal joint implants, it is way below any levels that we need to be concerned about. Much ado about nothing's, IMO.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 7:54:36 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2012 7:56:17 AM PST
Pretty Lady says:
Maybe you are the one trolling. I am actually looking for cooking products. I don't want stainless steel pans because they leeach. The outside of a rice cooker that is stainless steel instead of plastic hopefully won't leech into my food. Also, I was going to take your advice about not buying a rice cooker and just using a pot to cook my rice in.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 2:39:19 PM PST
S. Kessler says:
Stainless steel is the LEAST reactive metal for cookware. Nothing is 100% foolproof. But of all the metals, it is the one that is least likely to affect your health.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 9:19:06 PM PST
OldAmazonian says:
Of all the metals, platinum is the one that is least likely to affect your health.

Now let's see where we can find a platinum-lined automatic rice cooker ...

hmmmm ... hmmmm ...

EGAD!

I just learned on the internets that there are CHEMICALS!
Yes, CHEMICALS in our FOOD!

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 5:47:52 AM PST

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 10:47:24 AM PST
Al says:
ceramic coated non stick cookware is the safest in the market right now. They usually lose nonstick after a few years. Unless you go highend like scanpan.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 12:37:01 PM PST
Pretty Lady says:
The rice I buy is organic from a source I trust. I don't think the store I buy the rice from is screwing me over. How do you cook rice in banana leaves? That actually sounds yummy. Do you have a recipe?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 12:37:45 PM PST
Pretty Lady says:
I was looking at the Xtrema brand. Have you ever tried that brand?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2012 2:10:18 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 30, 2012 7:52:07 AM PST
Pretty Lady, I would suggest you check out two brands, Emile Henry and Appolia. Both offer a line of ceramic flame top cookware. They are made in France. The Emile Henry brand offers a more extensive line of choices both in size and color. I own items from the flame top line of both brands. I prefer the pots from Emile Henry and the grill platter from Appolia. Besides the pleasure of using these pots to cook, they serve multiple roles in the kitchen. They can be used on the stove, in the oven, and in the microwave, if you have a large enough one. They are very attrective, so can go directly from the stove or oven to the table for serving and are great for keeping the food warm. They can also be used to store food in the refrigerator. In the flame top Emile Henry line I own the next to the smallest and second largest pots, the 3.5 qt brazier, the tarte tartine, the pizza stone, and the largest roasting pan. In the flame top Appolia line I own the grill planche, which besides using to cook on the grill and oven I use as a tray for appetizers. Unless food is really burnt on, this cookware is easy to clean, too. The cookware is very attractive; so I do not keep the pots in a cabinet but have them stacked as a tower on my counter. I first discovered the flame top Emile Henry line in about 2006. I thought, wow how versatile. My sister gave me my first Emile Henry flame top cookware, and I have been a true believer ever since ;-). I have given them as gifts, and all have been thrilled. Can you tell I love these?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 8:24:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 1, 2013 8:25:17 AM PST
S. Kessler says:
Emile Henry is great for many things, but I don't think it works as all around cookware. I have the 4.2 qt. Dutch oven, which I use to bake bread in the oven (superb for that) and also to make pots of beans, soups, and stews. But I find that it doesn't sear well.

Another alternative is Le Creuset or Staub, whose cookware is enamel-coated cast iron. The enamel as far as I know is non-reactive. And meats sear very well. In addition to Dutch ovens and braisers, they make frying pans and grills/griddles. The only problem is that they are very heavy and require careful care. But otherwise they make superbe cookware.

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 8:45:29 AM PST
Tramontina 6.5 Qt Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven is a nice alternative to Le Creuset with a more affordable price point. I have Staub, made my williams sonoma, I believe, and it's very nice also. I also have a huge Le Creuset that weights a ton but the thing is going to survive a nuclear war.. it's a beast.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 1:01:46 PM PST
Manda says:
Regarding a rice cooker- I do lots (way too much if ya asked others..lol) of research before purchasing anything & while it's just my opinion.. I ended up getting the abilities of 4 or 5 small kitchen items~ all in one by buying something called an INSTA-POT. I got the newest one that also sears/browns & have had it just over a year now. I can honestly say it's one of the best things I've ever bought for my kitchen or otherwise. Yep, it's a rice cooker.. but also steams, roasts, is a slow-cooker & PRESSURE COOKER (what I was initially looking for- lol) that also makes deserts, breads & puddings. It can sear, make great soups/chili, stews, rice & veggies too, in no time at all. Let's see.. braising, poaching... all in one. Plus, the insert is stainless tri-ply.. & never burns. Can you tell I love it? :) I honestly use it 4-5x week & have made absolutely perfect rice & risotto. HA-nope I don't work for them.. just thought I'd share the find. Good luck & happy rice-making! Happy New Year too! :) Amanda/IL

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013 11:38:27 AM PST
S. Kessler says:
Staub is not made by William Sonoma. It's an Alsatian French company. WS does carry an excellent selection, though, at good prices.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013 12:09:57 PM PST
Staub is part of JA Henkles.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013 12:55:07 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 2, 2013 12:57:52 PM PST
S. Kessler says:
Right you are! They were bought by Henkels in 2008. But the web site says they will continue to be manufactured in Alsace, France.

I wasn't aware of this.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013 1:03:03 PM PST
I love Staub. I was on their website yesterday looking at recipes. While conversions were there for measures, I had to look up courgette/zucchini and aubergine/eggplant lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013 6:28:31 PM PST
OldAmazonian says:
That's why we still use our old crockery-lined Crock Pot. No Teflon or leaded Chinese glazes for us, please!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 7:33:17 AM PST
Pretty Lady says:
This was exactly what I was looking for. I have to try these. Thank you.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Cooking forum (869 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  41
Initial post:  Dec 26, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 23, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions