Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

What is the worst cooking mistake you ever made?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 390 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 6, 2010 9:14:49 AM PDT
J. Westwind says:
Was it a total disaster or were you able to salvage the mess?
Was it a huge embarrassment because other people were involved?

Since I'm not a 'cook', I've only done minor stupid things over the years like adding baking soda to beans while cooking them because I had heard somewhere that it might make them less gas-forming -- foamy mess.

Then many years ago I tried adding(healthy)lecithin granules to tomato soup -- ewww -- slimy yellow stuff in red soup.

Posted on Jun 6, 2010 9:39:41 AM PDT
slw says:
J: I've had many kitchen tragedies over the years. One that comes to mind doesn't involve much cooking, but it was a tragedy. I had popped some popcorn in my popper. It was the old fashioned round plate that you put oil and the corn in and I think an arm went round and round to stir it. There was a big plastic dome on top that doubled as a bowl. After it was finished, I decided I wanted cheese popcorn so I grated a bunch of chedder over it and put it in what I thought was a low oven to melt. The only thing that melted was the bowl. I smelled something and opened the oven. The yellow bowl had collapsed on itself and all over the popcorn. What a mess.

Posted on Jun 6, 2010 9:42:53 AM PDT
PooBear says:
The worst was when my parents were away when I was a kid and my older brother recruited me to help him make rocket fuel on the stove for his model rockets. He had something from a feed store or pharmacy he wanted me to mix with sugar, but the sugar had to be melted to a liquid. I knew how to use the stove so there I was with this sauce pan of sugar that to my amazement actually melted to a clear liquid. We were following a 'recipe' from a White Sands Missile Range book he got from the school library, and so we had to mix in his ingredient to the liquid sugar. It turned into like a nice caramel that I wanted to taste because it looked so yummy, but then the whole thing just ignited and burned with a roar and so much smoke. We ran it out into the back yard and it wouldn't stop burning and it caught the back yard on fire so we were hosing the grass because the pan burned even with water in it. Eventually it stopped and the pan was destroyed. He covered the fire damage with a lawn mower cutting all the grass really short and digging up the burned part. Older brothers...ohh!!! Can't they just be happy with candy apples?? : )

Posted on Jun 6, 2010 10:01:58 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 6, 2010 10:08:02 AM PDT
GW says:
J Wiz,
I tend to put my BIG disasters outta my mind.....like one of my kids.....but I have little "issues" all the time.

Like toasting nuts til they catch on fire in the toaster oven, leaving bacon unattended.....for 30 minutes....oy vey, adding a cup of vinegar to a cup of milk for the pancake batter when I didn't have any Buttermilk, exploding baked potatoes, horrible grainy Mac & Cheese, and my favorite........making hard boiled eggs, unattended again, & the pan boiled dry.

The pan was ruined & the SMELL.....OMG, THE SMELL!

Posted on Jun 6, 2010 10:07:45 AM PDT
This happened to my family at lest twice.

We used to cut up those plastic Crisco lids and use
as frozen hamburger patty separators.
At least twice my mother forgot to pry the plastic
lids off the the frozen pattys and broiled them into
some excellent looking plastic hamburgers.

Tom

Posted on Jun 6, 2010 10:10:47 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 6, 2010 10:13:13 AM PDT
GW says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jun 6, 2010 10:51:30 AM PDT
slw says:
Here's a good one. I have been keeping this to myself, but I'll share. The other night, I used my little Weber Q to BBQ some chicken. I always let it go after the food comes off for 10-15 minutes. The timer went off (I have to set a timer or forget) and I thought I'd let it go for another few minutes. The next morning, my retired firefighter boyfriend came over with coffee and he said "why the hell is your patio so warm? How long has that BBQ been on"? Oops.

Posted on Jun 6, 2010 12:26:53 PM PDT
I've had a few disasters over the years, like when I accidentally put put a Corningware dish on a still-hot burner (I was making a big meal, juggling lots of different pots and dishes and forgot I was just using it), and then saw it glowing red on the bottom. I got scared and dashed into the hallway, just as it exploded all over the kitchen. It sounded like a gunshot, and I was really afraid my nieghbors were going to call the police! There were shards of vitreous glass everywhere. If I had been standing in the kitchen, it might've killed me. That stuff is dangerous, if you're not careful. Then there was the time I cooked a delicious-looking stirfry, put some on my plate and grabbed the bottle of soy sauce from the cabinet and poured it over the top. That's when I realized it wasn't soy sauce, but Worcestershire sauce. Ruined!

Posted on Jun 6, 2010 12:45:16 PM PDT
J. Westwind says:
Great responses everybody!
Glad you all survived.

This is off topic and has nothing to do with food but it was a kitchen disaster.
When I was very young and excited to be on my own living in a crappy little house with a really old stained sink,
I scrubbed the sink with cleanser and when that didn't work, I added bleach -- yikes!
I had to run out of the house for air before I suffocated --close call.
I later learned that this combo makes Chlorine gas -- potential killer.

Posted on Jun 6, 2010 1:34:28 PM PDT
I was about 25 and nervous about cooking for company. Made what would have been a fabulous lasagne -- made the sauce from scratch.......but I naively used cayenne pepper instead of red pepper flakes. We were in tears.........

Posted on Jun 6, 2010 5:42:52 PM PDT
Texas Tea says:
A new bride of one week, I decided to make chicken cacciatore and, with the knowledge that "if a little is good, a lot is better," I dumped in an entire spice jar of oregano. All was well until about an hour into the cooking and the smell was so bad that I actually had to go outside. My husband came home from work about five minutes into my sitting on the front steps and I just was bawling! He laughed, went inside and dumped the entire dish into the disposal and called out for Chinese. I think I really fell in love with him that day! I've had a few other disasters but none equalled that horrific experience and it was 30 years before I made chicken cacciatore again, much more successfully I will add!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2010 2:50:48 AM PDT
joaniepony® says:
JW,

Too numerous to mention.

If anyone wants to learn from my mistakes #1 Altitude is an important factor in baked goods.

Posted on Jun 7, 2010 8:59:27 AM PDT
GW says:
HA! too phunny Joanie......I mis-read your post & thought you said ATTITUDE
was the most important factor in baking.

I wanted to add that I TALK to my bread, cakes, & muffins as they are baking.
YOU KNOW......kinda like Prince Charles talks to his plants!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2010 11:43:56 AM PDT
J. Westwind says:
Oh, come on, mention a few... sounds like you've had *fun* in the kitchen.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2010 11:47:20 AM PDT
J. Westwind says:
Hummmmm...The 3 kitchen As
Altitude
Attitude and
Aptitude

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2010 12:03:22 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 7, 2010 12:06:00 PM PDT
joaniepony® says:
OK Wis,

Meatloaf floating in grease.
Scrambling eggs in sirup.

I have a bad altitude when it comes to cooking.
It isn't any help if you have a stupid stove.
Cooking messes up the kitchen!
The dog wouldn't even eat it!

Posted on Jun 7, 2010 12:07:47 PM PDT
the worst mistake i made was fun. i wanted to make donuts. and i didn't have a deep fryer. so i just heated some oil on the stove. but i also didn't have a candy thermometer to see what the temperature was, and i had never deep fried anything before, so i thought the oil was supposed to be actually boiling. so yeah, the put the dough in the boiling oil and it exploded everywhere. then to make things more fun, i tried to pour the boiling oil down the drain. which was another explosion. so i thought i should cool it down with some cold water, which was a nice hot oily steam explosion. (please note i was still in my teens when this happened)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2010 1:22:06 PM PDT
GW says:
And Allspice.

Posted on Jun 7, 2010 1:51:39 PM PDT
KN says:
I made microwaved monkey bread as a tween and misread 1-1 1/2 for 11 1/2 minutes. What a smelly and burnt disappointment. I love monkey bread.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2010 2:15:46 PM PDT
joaniepony® says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2010 6:36:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 9, 2010 6:08:03 PM PDT
J. Westwind says:
What? Meatloaf isn't supposed to float in grease?
Just kidding ... but I have tasted REALLY greasy meatloaf before.

I don't like syrup on scrambled eggs but I've met people who do.
It seems like it WOULD be possible to cook eggs in really, really hot syrup -- maybe they would be more like poached -- anyway I can see why a person might try that.

For me, the biggest drawback with cooking is having to clean things up afterwords -- I'd probably cook a lot more often and eat a lot better if someone else would clean the stove and do the dishes.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2010 6:38:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 7, 2010 6:52:48 PM PDT
J. Westwind says:
I stand corrected.

We could include:
Artistry, Adventure, and maybe even Alcohol
but let's not think;
Accidents or Anger ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2010 6:44:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 9, 2010 4:47:20 PM PDT
J. Westwind says:
Monkey bread?
I think this is what we call "pull-aparts" -- like a bunch of cinnammon rolls stuck together in the form of a loaf of bread or in a sponge cake mold.
Sounds delicious.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2010 6:46:09 PM PDT
J. Westwind says:
Yikes, lucky you weren't seriously burned.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2010 9:22:43 PM PDT
joaniepony® says:
Wis,

I'm not a morning person! I put the oil in the frying pan to scramble the eggs, only is was sirup.

I made a desert called Vanilla surprise, Was I surprised! after hanging over a hot stove and stirring forever. I had made pudding from scratch. That's whats called being able to read a recipe and knowing what you are making!!!

I have also learned the reason to puncture a potato before you bake it.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 16 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Cooking forum (860 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  192
Total posts:  390
Initial post:  Jun 6, 2010
Latest post:  Jun 12, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 25 customers

Search Customer Discussions