Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

need 1960s tamale pie recipe

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 30, 2011 10:46:35 AM PDT
widowTink says:
My DH's birthday is coming up soon. He likes a special dinner on his BD, and this year I want to surprize him with a blast from the past: TAMALE PIE. We were talking about the tamale pies our moms used to make back in the '60s...he got all wistful and sighed heavily....he probably thinks I've forgotten about it already. Anybody have a old recipe for tamale pie? I want to approximate what our moms used to make.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2011 12:42:04 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 30, 2011 12:43:18 PM PDT
CatNapping says:
You could try this link and see if you find anything worthwhile... http://www.food.com/recipe/moms-tamale-pie-439068

Posted on Mar 30, 2011 1:16:37 PM PDT
KBkat says:
Here is the recipe passed along in my family. It is definitely not gourmet, but tastes great.

Tamale Pie Casserole
2 cans Gepharts Tamales (save juice)
2 12oz cans corn (drained)
2 lbs ground beef
2 onions (chopped)
2 6oz cans tomato paste
2 cups celery (chopped)
2 tsp garlic salt - dash of pepper
1 cup grated cheese (American)
4 bay leaves

Directions:
1. Drain tamales (but save juice - there isn't much)
Mash tamales and add corn
Set aside
2. Saute onions and celery, then add meat and cook
Add tomato paste, garlic salt, and pepper to meat
3. In a casserole dish put one layer of meat mixture, then next layer tamale mixture, then meat mixture, last layer with tamale mixture.
Put cheese across the top - add lots or little depending on your taste (we like lots)
Put bay leaves on top.
4. Bake 350 degrees for ~40 minutes or until cheese starts to get a little brown around the edges.
5. Remove bay leaves before eating.
NOTE: Tamale pie casserole tastes great heated up the next day (or cold).

Posted on Mar 31, 2011 5:51:06 AM PDT
widowTink says:
Thanks Karen! I'm pretty sure I remember my mom using Albers corn meal....I'll just bet this is the recipe our moms used! I need to approximate that just-like-mom-used-to-make flavor, this will do the trick! He's gonna LOVE it!!! The recipe with the canned tamales sounds good too, but I remember mom making the homemade corn mush topping. I'm saving that recipe for later....Thanks again! *tink*

Posted on Apr 1, 2011 1:50:40 AM PDT
Country Girl says:
Sunset Magazine was the source for the one my mother-in-law made in the San Francisco Bay area.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  Mar 30, 2011
Latest post:  Apr 1, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions