Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

Best Food Processor?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 114 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 16, 2011 1:25:55 PM PDT
Laura Freed says:
Hello!
I'm in the market for a food processor. I have a mini that is great but I need something a bit larger.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Also - just wondering - for those that have food processors - do you use it as often as you thought you would and what do you use it for the most?

Thanks!

Laura
Fleeing Famous (SpellBound Cafe)

Posted on Mar 16, 2011 3:36:47 PM PDT
Grandma says:
Well definitely go somewhere that you can actually look inside the food processor. The last "full size" one that I had was prone to spit anything liquid out of the hole in the tank the blade fit over all over the kitchen! Cuisinart is the gold standard of food processors. I didn't have one of those :(

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2011 6:39:57 PM PDT
Laura Freed says:
Thanks Grandma:>)

Posted on Mar 16, 2011 6:49:03 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 16, 2011 6:51:38 PM PDT
compdynamics says:
Cuisinart Elite Collection 12-Cup Food processor. the KitchenAid KFP750 was my second choice, but I went with the Cuisinart that was first mentioned. KitchenAid had a lot of reveiws about leaking and Cuisinart has a special seal and when you are finished and need to pour the food contents the blade LOCKS, and it doesn't annoyingly fall out like other food processors. Also had the best price BY FAR, I saved on average $87 and no sales tax. There are also 16 & 14 cups out there, but I think those are overkill when it comes to a normal family of let's say 5. The 14 & 16 cup are big enough for commercial use. This is a powerful motor 1000watts, doesn't lag at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2011 4:01:40 PM PDT
S. Kessler says:
I have the new Cuisinart 16-cup Elite model with the three bowls. I like it very much and it has many advantages over the more traditional models (I used to have the 14-cup). I particularly like having the 3 different sized bowls, the locking blade, and the seal that keep liquids from spilling out. Also, it comes with a storage box that contains all the blades and is very handy to have. That alone is worth the extra cost.

But that notwithstanding, I don't use it all that much unless I'm doing a really big job, like shredding mountains of potatoes and onions for latkes, or slicing lots of potatoes and veggies. Very good for kneading dough and making pasta dough, too. However, I tend to use my Bamix hand blender for smaller batches of soups and sauces that need to be pureed, as well as for making small amounts of grated cheese (enough for one pasta dish). So the big Cuisinart spends a lot of time under the sink and only comes out on special occasions.

BTW, if you do anticipate doing a lot of slicing, shredding, chopping, and puerreing, I recommend the 16 cup model that's only available at Williams Sonoma. It's generally the same price as the 14-cup model and so a good value.

Posted on Mar 19, 2011 10:12:31 AM PDT
Jenny0611 says:
I have the Cuisinart 11 cup and I LOVE it!!! I use it at least 3 times a week to chop vegetables, shred chicken, and make oreo truffles with the dough blade! I highly recommend it!

Cuisinart DLC-2009CHB Prep 9 9-Cup Food Processor, Brushed Stainless

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2011 10:41:57 AM PDT
Laura Freed says:
Well, I do love Oreo Truffles:>))))

The models mentioned are just a bit much on my budget. I was thinking about Black & Decker FP1600B 8-Cup Food Processor, Black.

I have a Williams and Sonoma professional chopper - which I do love - but I (seriously) have to sit on it in order to slice thru yams and onions!

I have a Cuisinart DLC-1 21-Ounce Mini-Prep Food Processor, White which does the trick for small batches of nuts, veggies, etc.

But from what I'm reading: I should splurge on the more expensive models if I'm going to upgrade?

Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2011 7:56:40 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 19, 2011 7:56:58 PM PDT
S. Kessler says:
Laura, before you purchase weigh these factors:
1) How often are you going to chop, grate, make dough?
2) What kind of quantities do you cook at a time?
3) Do you make multi-step recipes that would benefit from having more than one work bowl?

This will help you to decide what size processor you need.

Then consider price and ask yourself a question: is it better to save up a little longer to have enough money get the size and model that will suit your needs best. Because if you buy one that is too small for what you need you will regret it later and wish you had something larger. On the other hand, be realistic about how much your going to use it and for what kind of quantities, because you wouldn't want one that was too big, either, taking up too much space on your counter if space is at a premium for you.

BTW, Cook's Illustrated actually made the KitchenAid their top choice over the Cuisinart. Who'da thunk it? KitchenAid KFP750OB 700-Watt 12-Cup Food Processor, Onyx Black

Posted on Mar 19, 2011 10:02:39 PM PDT
I am a gourmet cook & have had many food processors over the years. My favorite ones were made by Braun-10 different speeds, different blades for chopping, shredding, slicing. Mine broke & I just checked online at braun.com. U can't use them in USA-duh. The one I used yrs ago they no longer sell. another big duh.
I am EXTREMELY picky about my cooking machines/prep. machines, etc.
The one that I have been using & it works wonderfully is Wolfgang Puck's food processor. It has a very heavy duty motor, a regular and pulse modes/speeds, a storage compartment in a drawer on front of machine and also comes in a variety of colors. I purchased mine in Purple. I purchased it from HSN. Just to let u know I also have used many different cookware sets many very expensive and I came back to Wolfgang Puck's set. They are very thick metal-even cooking surface, clean up very easy-almost like non stick but it's not. The non-stick stuff-no matter what it is I don't think r healthy. I've used Meyer -yrs ago at $350 a set-very expensive and they were crapola. Then I used the Ultrex line from HSN which has now been suddenly removed after health scare of Teflon when any cookware coated w/that type of material at high temperatures which is very easy to accomplish-causes cancer. Even as fare as I've researched the 'permanently bonded' stuff-- Ultrex, Meyer, etc. Yes, I've used more expensive sets but th ink the W.P. brand is the best. The clean up is so easy & cooks like a dream---my opinion. But like I stated b.f. I am very, very picky about my cookware/utensils, etc. Good luck. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2011 10:52:16 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 20, 2011 10:57:00 AM PDT
Lady Justice says:
The link below is to Williams Sonoma website. (You will need to cut & paste the web address) This food processor is by far THE best and the best value, as well. For $299.95, you basically get THREE processors in one, and they NEST! Saving space & time. Plus you get a special case to hold all the blades & keep things neat & dust free. This is a Cuisinart made especially for Williams Sonoma, and the ONLY one with a 16 cup large capacity bowl, followed by a 13 cup AND a 4 & 1/2 cup mini bowl. So you can make a recipe & prep everything, start to finish, without having to stop, wash out the bowl, & use it for the next part of your recipe. VERY convenient! There is a video attached to the link, explaining all this!

I LOVE this processor -- and the price is great! I use mine all the time, as I am also a baker, AND I have to make everything from scratch, as my kids have allergies & processed foods are out!

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/cuisinart-elite-die-cast-16-cup-food-processor/?pkey=e|Cuisinart%2BFood%2BProcessr|11|best|0|1|24||3&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-NoMerchRules-_-

If you don't think you need a 16 cup extra large capacity bowl, or if you don't want/need the three bowl option, then Amazon sells the regular 14 cup Cuisinart. But having all three available is especially handy during the holidays, when baking or cooking more than usual!

Cuisinart DFP-14BCN 14-Cup Food Processor, Brushed Stainless Steelo

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2011 2:39:55 PM PDT
momof4 says:
I purchased the Black & Decker food processor you're referring to and took it back the next day. That was my first experience with a food processor and it was like a jet plane taking off it was so loud. The vacuum cleaner is quieter, & no I am not exaggerating.

I think (now) buying a food processor is a get-what-you-pay-for expense.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2011 3:18:32 PM PDT
Grandma says:
I think the one I had that spewed stuff all over the kitchen when I tried to process something liquid was a Black and Decker too. They definitely are not what they used to be these days.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2011 4:08:42 PM PDT
S. Kessler says:
Lydia, that's the one I have and while I'm glad I bought it, it just may be "too much" processor for a lot of people.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2011 5:22:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 20, 2011 5:36:41 PM PDT
Buy the Braun Multiquick 3 K650 Kitchen Machine 600 Watt. German engineering at its finest.

I've used both a Cuisinart and a Braun. The Cuisinart is flimsy and much harder to use- getting the lid on and off was always a major struggle. While the Cuisinart supposedly has an 11 cup capacity, in reality you can only fill it to the 8 cups that the Braun holds. And the Braun has more functions. It's also much quieter, due to the German engineering.

I've had my Braun now for years. It's an absolute joy to use, more versatile, and does a better job.Go look at the reviews- you'll see that everyone adores their Braun!

Posted on Mar 21, 2011 7:21:44 AM PDT
Laura Freed says:
Thank you all so much. I'm so glad I didn't do what I usually do and just hit the BUY button.
I think I'll hold off until I can put more money in the kitchen kitty.
I really want to focus on more homemade (jams/relishes/bread) and thought a food processor would be the way to go. Right now, I'm not making a whole lot of homemade food (other than baked goods). I thought if I had a processor - it might be the push I need to experiment more.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2011 7:35:03 AM PDT
Grandma says:
Laura, I wouldn't be without my little "food processor" that holds just a couple or three cups. Nothing could be handier for finely chopping lots of stuff or turning eggs into egg salad. For most of the rest of the stuff that a full size food processor would do, look to your mixer and a food mill. One huge advantage to the food mill is that you don't have to peel anything (except eggs) because the peels will remain in the mill. Another advantage to my mind is that my food mill works when the lights go out.

Posted on Mar 22, 2011 5:39:32 AM PDT
I have the KitchenAid and I like it - never had any trouble with leaking and it chops pretty evenly. (It replaced a really, really old Cuisinart that finally died; I think it was coal-fired.) Don't use it that much, though, to be honest. My hubby loves chopping veggies.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2011 9:33:45 PM PDT
I have always had Cuisinart Processors, and I use mine about 3x per week, mostly to chop nuts and veggies. I find that the more complicated they are, the harder they are to use/clean. WHen I looked at the KitchenAids, they just had so many safety latches that I knew I would become frustrated.

I think buying a Black and Decker ANYTHING is a false economy. If, by some miracle, it lasts any amount of time, you'll wish it hadn't - especially if you ever get to try a KitchenAid or Cuisinart or Robot-Coupe (Williams-Sonoma) food processor. Power, speed and responsiveness are three things that the B&D appliances lack.

Even though they're made in China (as are KitchanAids), I think you get the best combination of economy and performance. They are priced right and made well. ALso lots of blades for slicing (useful).

14 cup will always serve you well - you can do small batches in a bog processor, but not the other way around.

Bob (Appliance Maven)

Posted on Mar 27, 2011 5:18:32 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 27, 2011 10:23:02 PM PDT
taleeya says:
Hi Laura! I saved up and got a Cuisinart (limited edition stainless steel - but it was the one I wanted!) If you CAN, I suggest holding off if you have to, to get a Cuisinart. My Mom still has hers from 30 years ago, and it works. I don't use mine as much as I'd like, only because it IS heavy and I am in a temporary living situation right now and if I need to use it I have to bring it downstairs to the kitchen. The Cuisinart has an EXCELLENT motor, and from what I remember about my own research in what to buy - the blade on the cuisinart is really good. I usually use mine for dips and spreads (just made white bean dip last night and I usually make a great pesto/cream cheese spread ). I would suggest getting a special cookbook (from the library) and check it out, and make sure to look at any booklets or videos that the processor comes with, so you can get ideas on all the ideas for what to do with it. Its easy to just use it for one thing, when it is really so versatile!

Good Luck!

Posted on Mar 27, 2011 9:57:04 AM PDT
Amazon Fan says:
Braun is the best! They do make a multi-speed 14 cup processor for USA. For the second time in my life, I have thrown out a "functional" Cuisinart to buy a Braun. The second Cuisinart ran a distant second place, but necessary during the time Braun was unavailable for US market.

Posted on Mar 27, 2011 10:16:06 AM PDT
Braun is belt driven, not as powerful as a direct drive unit. And who the heck needs 14 speeds on a food processor?

Posted on Mar 27, 2011 5:45:59 PM PDT
Amazon Fan says:
I do. I use it for everything from bread dough to perfectly sliced cucumbers and tomatoes. The braun has plenty of power.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2011 7:59:45 PM PDT
Which speed do you use for cucumbers - 3....6..7...8..9.10? If the originator of the food processor (Robot-Coupe) felt that only on and pulse were the necessary speeds, why is 14 better? Its like those stupid old blenders with the 25 speeds, each ceremoniously labelled chop, blend, chew, spit out, etc. Can we talk?

Posted on Nov 27, 2011 6:41:43 PM PST
LambAround says:
Anything EXCEPT a Kitchen Aid food processor. I have the one that includes both 12 cup and 4 cup bowls and it is a terrible design. It's heavy and I can't use the 12 cup bowl without food and/or liquid spilling out all over my countertop and the appliance. I constantly have to scrape down the sides of the bowl, no matter which size I use or what I am making.
I didn't bother to research the Kitchen Aid food processor before purchasing because I love my Kitchen Aid stand mixer so much.
This food processor is the only appliance I have ever hated!
http://lambaround.blogspot.com

Posted on Nov 27, 2011 10:36:37 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Cooking forum (849 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  52
Total posts:  114
Initial post:  Mar 16, 2011
Latest post:  Dec 3, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 20 customers

Search Customer Discussions