Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

Crock Dogs (hot dogs in your slow cooker)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-24 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 2, 2012 8:27:52 AM PDT
Joe Ekaitis says:
Perfect for when it's too hot to cook indoors or out. Pile as many hot dogs as will fit into your slow cooker (you can pour in a can of beer or make a bed of sauerkraut in the bottom of the crock if you want), put on the lid, cook on High for 2 hours. That's it.

The dogs touching the stoneware will take on a little char and the ones farthest away will tan a bit from radiant heat.

That is all. Save some mustard and relish for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 10:07:25 AM PDT
R. Romberger says:
Easier yet, just fill your crockpot 1/2 full of water and heat. About 15 minutes before you're ready for the dogs, drop a couple of packages of dogs into the hot water. The dogs will heat perfectly and this method will keep your dogs hot for the whole crew.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 10:19:59 AM PDT
I like my dogs a little unevenly cooked and even a tiny bit charred so thank you. I can have the kids (age 13) try this if I'm gone, and feel better about them cooking without me. No worries about the stove being left on.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 11:24:22 AM PDT
Was looking for something for dinner tonight that I don't have to use the stove in this 100 degree weather......perfect! Thank you!

Posted on Jul 5, 2012 9:18:52 PM PDT
In the 60's, in grade school, a friend's mother would put 2 hot dogs in his Thermos and pour scalding chicken noodle soup (most likely Campbells) to fill it. Add a couple of buns and some McDonalds ketchup and mustard packets and we shared a hot lunch a few hours later.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2012 6:54:33 AM PDT
cave76 says:
Latrino----- what a clever idea!

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 1:52:03 PM PDT
R. Romberger says:
Of course, if you are in a hurry. . .
http://web.physics.ucsb.edu/~lecturedemonstrations/Composer/Pages/64.24.html

We used to call them "Zapdogs". . .

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2012 2:16:40 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 6, 2012 2:16:54 PM PDT
Joe Ekaitis says:
Ah, the concept behind the dear departed Presto Hot Dogger.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2012 2:46:33 PM PDT
cave76 says:
LOL------ my brother, who was a nuclear chemist at Lawrence Rad Lab, had a Rube Goldberg contraption for making coffee in the lab. I'm sure all lab scientists have done that.

Posted on Jul 7, 2012 6:42:44 PM PDT
That sounds like a great idea! I'll have to remember that.

We love steamed hotdogs, so we just wrap a hotdog and a bun together in a paper towel and cook it in the microwave for about 30 seconds. Voilà! Steamed hotdog!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2012 5:49:02 PM PDT
D. Matteson says:
I remember that one.
Loved the results even though my parents weren't so happy with them.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2012 12:15:15 PM PDT
widowTink says:
I can't even comprehend cooking hot dogs for two hours. That's just WAAAAAAY too long to cook a hot dog for me. I like 'em grilled with a few nice char marks or cold out of the fridge with mustard, relish and plenty of sweet, chopped onions. mmm. I'm gettin' hungry.......

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2012 3:48:11 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 15, 2012 9:14:45 AM PDT
Joe Ekaitis says:
Think of what slow roasting does to a smoked cured ham and transfer that sensation to a hot dog: the flavors of the seasonings intensify while the exterior acquires a "snap" reminiscent of classic hot dogs in natural casing . . . What's not to love?

And if you aren't pleased with the results, what have you lost? A couple hours of your life and the cost of a package of hot dogs. Worth taking a chance, eh? :)

Posted on Jul 14, 2012 7:01:24 PM PDT
Something I have done a few times...fill crock pot 1/2 full with chili, canned homemade add hot dogs of choice. Cook all am or pm. Ready for lunch or dinner. Great if you're from the south and love chili dogs...y

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2012 10:46:10 AM PDT
joaniepony® says:
Joseph,

You will need a second "Slow Cooker" to hold the chili.

I'll need a few onions to top that off!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2012 10:50:47 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 15, 2012 1:52:23 PM PDT
Joe Ekaitis says:
Chili? You want chili?

Dump 4 15-ounce or 2 28- to 30-ounce cans of chili beans into the "other" slow cooker. Park a one-pound chub of ground beef, turkey or chicken on top. Cover and cook 4 hours on high. Lift the chub of meat into a mixing bowl and break up with a big wooden spoon. Stir back into the chili and keep warm until dinner time.

I made a double batch of this for a Knights of Columbus 4th of July picnic. I came home with 2 nearly clean Crock Pots.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2012 11:19:01 AM PDT
joaniepony® says:
Joe,

Smart & Final~Iris Grocery Warehouse, used to have the best canned chili (NO beans, thank you very much!), about
a 1/2 gallon size. Great pot-luck menu for work~~~! and NO CATSUP/KETCHUP!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2012 11:22:56 AM PDT
Great idea!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2012 11:33:36 AM PDT
joaniepony® says:
Joe,
I try to cook everything outside on the patio,

Pressure Cooker works on an Induction Cooktop.
Keeps the heat and smell out of the house and my gas range stays perfectly clean.

Posted on Jul 15, 2012 11:40:35 AM PDT
Gosh you guys are making my mouth water and I'm not particularly a hot dog fan. Yum!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2012 12:15:05 PM PDT
joaniepony® says:
A the K's M,

Cook's Country ~April 1, 2007 Highly Recommends: Nathan's Famous Beef Franks.

Comming in Second: Johnsonville Stadium Style Beef Franks and Hebrew National Beef Franks.

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 4:39:52 PM PST
Keithmj says:
I use a Presto pressure cooker, put them in the basket above the water and heat to 15psi and then shut off the cooker then wait 15 minutes and release the pressure and remove them. Very simple and can do other things while they cook.

Posted on Jul 11, 2013 7:08:54 PM PDT
Joe Ekaitis says:
Bumpin' this one into summer, 2013. Enjoy!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2013 1:01:38 PM PDT
Lilly says:
I've got a few hot coals ready!!!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Cooking forum (854 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  24
Initial post:  Jul 2, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 12, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions