Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

Found a new cookbook

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 229 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 10, 2012 10:49:03 AM PDT
Customer says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2012 11:39:35 AM PDT
S. Kessler says:
This thread can complement the other one on Old Cookbooks. I love learning about good new ones, especially ones that are on Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2012 11:44:41 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jan 12, 2013 9:58:14 AM PST
Re : Classic Caribbean Cookbook

I looked and actually thought it looked pretty good, but wow, $65 for the paperback is pretty pricey. I know, it is available in Kindle for much less, but that is a ton of money.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2012 4:10:43 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 10, 2012 7:03:21 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2012 4:26:40 PM PDT
Grandma says:
@Pat Huff - listing your book anywhere other than in Meet Our Authors is against the Amazon Forum Policy. They will remove your posts.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2012 4:28:56 PM PDT
Grandma says:
Are you sure you didn't write this book? After all, your review does not list this as an Amazon Verified Purchase. I must say, while I quite like Caribbean cooking, $65 is WAY over the top for a cookbook from an unknown author. That is getting right up there past even what the well known "greats" of the food world fetch.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2012 5:43:13 PM PDT
Wow you're fast! The listing shows the publication date as July 6th. What did you make in those 3-4 days that impressed your family so much?

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 7:52:43 PM PDT
Customer says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 8:32:59 PM PDT
Things that make you go "hmmmm"

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2012 3:21:11 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 11, 2012 3:28:12 AM PDT
Grandma says:
But where did you buy it Foodie? It wasn't here at Amazon because your review would say so if it was.

Are you sure you aren't the author? - In which case your review is a violation of Amazon's Review Guidelines

Or was the book given to you buy the author? In which case, your failure to disclose that is a violation of both Amazon's Review Guidelines and Federal law. . . .

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 6:18:47 AM PDT
Customer says:
@Grandma... Well not that its any of your business but I bought it through my girlfriend's account. Please stop stalking what I buy and do not buy. Federal Law? Sheesh I'm just a simple reviewer not an author. If you could even stalk properly you would see that the author is a woman.

I might post some pics so you guys can see what it looks like cause its actually kinda big.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2012 6:34:50 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 11, 2012 6:42:48 AM PDT
Grandma says:
@Foodie - I am not "stalking" you. Merely asking valid questions I am entitled to ask. When you've been around here as long as I have you will learn that many authors claim to be something they are not, sometimes a different somebody every week.

As far as Amazon Review Guidelines and Federal Law goes, they both clearly state that if you are given a product to review, as in you did not buy it, then you must disclose that you were **in your review.**

Here at Amazon that disclosure takes 3 forms:

1. The item comes through the Amazon Vine program and the review is clearly labeled as being from the Vine program.

2. A customer purchases an item on Amazon and the item is clearly marked as an Amazon Verified Purchase.

3. The reviewer discloses the source of the item they are reviewing. To not do so leaves both you and your review wide open for speculation and accusations.

There is no such thing as a "simple reviewer." Every time you go to write a review there is a link in the right hand margin to the Amazon Review Guidelines. I suggest that you familiarize yourself with them.

Let me mention one other thing: those review guidelines also prohibit "anyone with an interest in the book" from writing a review. That is generally taken to mean not just the author but the editor, the graphics person, Mom, boyfriend, other family members . . .

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2012 6:54:39 AM PDT
Beckygardens says:
When you write a review you are making it the business of potential purchases.

This is your only review, it's a book that costs more than most brand new books by huge name authors like Thomas Killer, you started a thread to promote this book, and you are defensive if asked about where you got it.

One does not have to have an AVP, I get and review books from the library, thrift store, etc, but you have to see where your promoting of this book is a little suspect, and by writing the review and then promoting it, you made it our business.

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 7:10:33 AM PDT
Beckygardens says:
I love new cookbooks! I recently got

Martha's American Food: A Celebration of Our Nation's Most Treasured Dishes, from Coast to Coast

Morocco: A Culinary Journey with Recipes from the Spice-Scented Markets of Marrakech to the Date-Filled Oasis of Zagora

Essential Pepin: More Than 700 All-Time Favorites from My Life in Food

I belong to a book club thing, one of those you get four for a dollar and have to buy a bunch later, but I have been a member for over a year, have good luck with them (no auto ship issues) and they have bundle deals like 2 for 25, 3 for 33, 4 for 40. So I get a lot of brand new cookbooks.

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 7:19:35 AM PDT
Grandma says:
I've acquire several new cookbooks myself recently! Darina Allen's Ballymaloe Cooking School Cookbook is one of my favorites! I want that Morocco cookbook you've listed Becky!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2012 7:23:05 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 11, 2012 7:23:43 AM PDT
Beckygardens says:
My favorite cooking school book is Anne Willan's La Varenne Pratique

haha, which is 65.00 used, oh the irony! I picked it up at a thrift store for 3.95 several years ago.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2012 7:24:16 AM PDT
Grandma says:
I've not seen that one. I'll have a look. I tend to buy very expensive cookbooks like that used, often here at Amazon or over at Abebooks.

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 7:24:44 AM PDT
Beckygardens says:
On the original post, I looked at the kindle look inside and it's messed up. The pictures (which are mostly fairly unattractive, just saying) don't seem to line up with the recipe

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 7:48:44 AM PDT
GW™ says:
I'm still pushing THIS cookbook.....Stud Muffins: Luscious, Delectable, & Yummy, and you can get it USED on Amazon for only a penny!
It's a cute gift for a girlfriend (or gay friend) just starting out, and the recipies are good too.

Posted on Jul 12, 2012 10:29:39 AM PDT
Thank you all for the cookbook recommendations and links; I now have several new ones on my wishlist, a great place to park titles until I want a little gift for me or someone asks for ideas for a gift. I have been in the mood for a new one, so I think I'll add one to my ironing board cover order today. Now, how to choose... :)

Your book links are hugely appreciated.

Posted on Jul 13, 2012 11:22:56 AM PDT
so when I started cooking Caribbean foods - my girl friend at the time lent me her Naparima Girls cookbook - and for someone learning Caribbean cooking in the UK it was a blessing - very clear - very simple - since it was done for teaching high school home EC students - and everytime I do a recipe from it get rave reviews. A couple years ago got the new colour hard back version when I was in Trinidad and thought at US$30 it was brutal but seeing it now on Amazon for double - and would still say huge value for money.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2012 3:40:34 PM PDT
S. Kessler says:
I have all 3 of these on kindle. They are really good and useful cookbooks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2012 5:01:02 PM PDT
I remember those book clubs, long before the Internet and Amazon or even a Barnes and Noble nearby.

What is the one you belong to, if you don't mind saying? Cookbooks I especially like in real book form. I keep a good number of titles on my IPad, but I really still like most of my books to be real books.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2012 9:17:40 PM PDT
S. Kessler says:
I used to belong to The Good Cook. But I finally dropped them. For one thing. Their prices were much higher than Amazon, most of the time. Plus they charged a lot for shipping, and with Amazon I have prime or could spend $25 and get free super saver shipping. And then I would forget to send back the cards telling them not to send the monthly selection and wind up with expensive cookbooks I didn't really want. I ran out of room for paper books anyway, so now I'm collecting my new cookbooks on Kindle for iPad. Stick with Amazon. In either paper or e-book, you'll save money.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2012 5:38:16 AM PDT
S. Kessler, thanks. I had forgotten about having to opt out or get the monthly selection by default with book clubs.

I have not quite gotten into the Kindle versions yet. Not sure why I struggle with them. I do use online recipes fairly often.

I think it is because with physical books, I can pull out several, have them in front of me as I compare similar versions of a new dish, then decide how I want to proceed, usually using ideas from several versions. Pages are easier to flip in a real book too :-)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Cooking forum (851 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Twinkie Temple #4 250 14 hours ago
Appliances not made in China 1020 18 hours ago
Homemade healthy snacks? 1 2 days ago
pasta express ctc machine recipe needed 32 2 days ago
Pressure Cookers 165 3 days ago
springform pan 10 7 days ago
Has anyone actually seen Corning Ware Pyroceram or VISIONS cookware explode? 454 18 days ago
Baking in a Breville Smart Oven 161 22 days ago
Good Toaster Oven Cookwear 26 22 days ago
Anyone Use Eat Your Books? 17 23 days ago
Volts 0 25 days ago
92x24 tablecloth 0 26 days ago

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  229
Initial post:  Jul 10, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 28, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions