Customer Discussions > Country Music forum

Who was the first country artist you liked.....

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 27, 2011 8:16:12 PM PST
Hinch says:
....and what was the first country album you bought.

When I was a teenager(in the 60s) my favorite music was rock. I was visiting some friends of the family and they had a collection of Hank Williams albums. I had heard of him, but didn't really know who he was. Being musically curious, I put one on. I was blown away. I've been a fan since.

A cousin who worked for a music publisher gave me a couple of Hank Jr albums after that.....his first album SINGS THE SONGS OF HANK WILLIAMS and BALLAD OF HILLS AND PLAINS, but I didn't buy a country album until Waylon Jennings' 1971 album THE TAKER/TULSA, after hearing "Missisippi Woman" on the radio. I think I may have actually first heard that song on our FM rock station.

Posted on Nov 28, 2011 11:29:29 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2011 11:31:08 AM PST
Gena Chereck says:
I'd sort of grown up with Top 40 country radio in the '80s and early '90s -- I didn't really have any favorites in terms of artists, but there were a lot of songs I came to like (by the likes of George Strait, Reba McEntire, Randy Travis, Kathy Mattea, Rodney Crowell, Rosanne Cash, Vince Gill, Patty Loveless and so on).

It wasn't until 1992 or '93 that I started getting bored with Top 40 pop radio and got serious about looking into country musicians; besides spending more time with country radio, I also checking out country-music cassettes at a local library that had an excellent selection. Two of the first titles that really caught my attention were Trisha Yearwood's 'Hearts in Armor' and Mary Chapin Carpenter's 'Come On Come On'; I made copies of them on tape until I was able to buy them on disc a year or two later.

As for the first country album I bought, it's hard to say because I picked up quite a few around the same time (on cassette, because I wouldn't get my first CD player until Christmas of '93); among the first were probably Trisha's self-titled debut ("She's in Love With the Boy" was my favorite song at the time), and Mary Chapin's 'State of the Heart' and 'Shooting Straight in the Dark.'

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 12:52:36 PM PST
Hinch says:
I think a lot of people who got bored with rock and pop turned to country music. That may be one reason why so much country music these days sounds like pop or rock. The musicians turned to it too, because that's where the audince was.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2011 1:33:41 PM PST
Gena Chereck says:
Good point. I remember reading in 'Entertainment Weekly' in 1994 or '95 about how a lot of the newer country artists sounded like throwbacks to classic rock -- I certainly couldn't argue with that (even Yearwood clearly idolized Linda Ronstadt) -- but their lyrics also dealt with subject matters that maturing pop and rock fans could relate to. Even being a teenager at the time, I actually felt the same way!

As for what's going on today, I think it's kind of funny to see some of today's popular country influenced by the likes of Def Leppard and Bon Jovi; but I guess I can understand people (both musicians and fans) gravitating towards country if they're still hungry for those sounds but mainstream pop and rock aren't offering them anymore...

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 2:44:38 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2011 2:48:45 PM PST
For me, I started liking the early 90s country music. I was about in the 5th or 6th grade. In 1991, we got CMT and cable TV in our home. I was exposed to a lot of New Country songs and musicians. Before that, my only taste of Country was Dolly and Kenny. I loved the early 90s Country music blending real traditional Country with a fresh sound, and they had a lot of good songs. Probably I was hearing some of the songs from the late 1980s as well. I instantly liked George Strait, Alan Jackson, Trisha Yearwood, Suzy Bogguss, McBride and Ride, Diamond Rio, Pam Tillis,and all of those people. But they were making good music for the most part. When Shania Twain came along, I grew to dislike most Country music in the 1990s. A few good tunes will pop out every now and then. Now I mostly only listen to Classic Country and Alt Country
acts .

The first Country Album I bought was Garth Brooks, something with "Rodeo" on it, along with Pirates of the Mississippi. I also bought Suzy Bogguss and Pam Tillis and Mary CC. I had a tape of Suzy B . that I wore out. She put out one of the greatest records of Country with "Aces". It was really good. She wasnt a songwriter like MCC, but her voice is magic.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2011 2:56:18 PM PST
Gena Chereck says:
Awesome. :) 'Aces' is one of the first country albums I bought on CD, since I could never find a cassette copy.

Posted on Dec 4, 2011 9:47:17 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 4, 2011 9:48:32 PM PST
S. O'Brien says:
I was lucky enough to grow up with parents who loved Johnny Cash and Waylon Jennings and I can still remember listening to Ring Of Fire over and over when I was like 4 or 5. My first country album I ever bought on my own, actually it was a cassette, was "Montana Cafe" by Hank Jr in 1986 when I was eleven. I was more into metal and hard rock, but my step sisters boyfriend was listening to it and I was hooked right away and I had to buy it. That cassette got me into Country music or at least Outlaw country.

Posted on Dec 5, 2011 9:21:32 AM PST
Gena Chereck says:
Wow. I must have really offended someone...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2011 12:07:25 AM PST
Hinch says:
@Gena

I wouldn't worry about the negative votes. Some people just make a hobby of giving people "no" votes.
Many times I've seen two different people make basically the same statement in their post, and one post got "no" votes and the other got "yes" votes. Sometimes(especially on this forum) I take "no" votes are a badge of honor.

lol!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2011 9:03:01 AM PST
Gena Chereck says:
It just seems weird to me when I'm the only one getting them; I like to know if I screwed up somehow -- misunderstood the original post, strayed too far from the topic, etc. -- so I can try not to repeat the mistake...

But then again, you're probably right, and a "badge of honor" is a good way to look at it. :D

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2011 12:31:24 AM PST
Hinch says:
Gena

I have no idea. I don't see anything bad or offensive in your posts. At least you got three "no" vote on your "Wow. I must have really offended someone..." comment, so apparently 3 people don't think you offended anyone.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2011 9:28:57 AM PST
Gena Chereck says:
Cool. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2011 4:26:15 AM PST
dallas says:
F.Hincholson

Nice thread.It was Wayne Jennings for me.

Posted on Dec 12, 2011 6:41:38 AM PST
(.......looks around the corner with trepidation..........can there really be a decent country music discussion again......?)

Dwight Yoakam's "Fast As You" really got me going, much to my surprise at the time!

Posted on Dec 12, 2011 2:33:42 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 12, 2011 2:51:42 PM PST
Emmylou Harris. I took to country music as a teenager in the mid-70s. At the time we only had an AM radio in our family car, and listened to the country station out of New York City. When I was home my listening experience revolved around progressive rock station WNEW-FM. Emmylou was the only artist played on both stations. It opened my ears to the possibility of country being progressive and cool to like, while at the same time putting me in touch with the genre's roots with her Carter Family and Louvin Brothers covers. Discovering those folks was like seeing the name "McKinley Morganfield" on the back of Rolling Stones album. I simply had to find out more about them. Now I was fully hooked, and had Emmylou Harris to thank for it.

The first country albums I bought were Emmylou's Luxury Liner and Elite Hotel on the same trip to Korvette's department store in Paramus, NJ.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2011 6:31:35 PM PST
Emmylou is the voice of the angels, IMO.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2011 12:39:38 AM PST
Hinch says:
I've been a big Emmylou Harris fan for a long time. I have most of her albums,and have seen her live several times. I have a photo in a frame someone took of me and Emmylou.

Posted on Dec 14, 2011 4:23:19 PM PST
DPask says:
Willie and Waylon and the boys. Oh, and Emmylou Harris.

Posted on Dec 22, 2011 5:28:53 PM PST
Charles B. says:
It's really funny for me...the first tape I asked for was Garth Brooks No Fences....that Christmas I got No Fences and Ropin the Wind (two of the best albums of all time)....and the first cd I bought was Garth's Fresh Horses!......CAN'T WAIT FOR GARTH TO RECORD AGAIN!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2012 6:09:27 AM PST
BobbyBee says:
Hank Thompson

Posted on Feb 12, 2012 1:01:03 AM PST
Hinch says:
Hank was a good one!

Posted on Jun 19, 2012 1:38:37 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Dec 5, 2012 8:09:58 PM PST]

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 8:24:36 PM PDT
The album I first deliberately bought specifically because I finally "got" country music was George Strait's "Strait From the Heart" ('82), because of the song "Amarillo By Morning".

Posted on Jul 20, 2012 4:41:51 PM PDT
The album I first hear real country music was Randy Travis ¨Old 8X10¨, classic songs!

Posted on Jul 28, 2012 9:59:08 AM PDT
C. Batty says:
The first album I sat down in the store and insisted I wanted was Lynn Anderson's Greatest Hits.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Country Music forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  27
Initial post:  Nov 27, 2011
Latest post:  Aug 12, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions