Customer Discussions > Cozy Mystery forum

Cozy British mysteries without profanity,

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-23 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 7, 2010 5:34:38 PM PDT
tutukeli says:
Hi,
I am looking for Cozy British Mysteries without profanity.
Thanks,

Posted on Oct 8, 2010 3:07:15 PM PDT
L. Burns says:
Rhys Bowen has a series set in pre-WWII London. The first is Her Royal Spyness (A Royal Spyness Mystery). Another series set during the same time period is David Roberts' Lord Edward Corinth mysteries. The first in that series is Sweet Poison (Lord Edward Corinth & Verity Brown Murder Mysteries). IMO, the Roberts books are perhaps a bit less cozy, but are quite good. It's been awhile since I read them but I'm pretty confident that the language is mild.

Posted on Oct 10, 2010 11:27:16 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 10, 2010 11:30:53 AM PDT
GoldengateSF says:
Rhys Bowen has another series about Evan Evans a Welsh policeman. M. C. Beaton has two series, one about Hamish MacBeth, a Scottish policeman,
and the other about Agatha Raisen, a retired PR woman now living in a small village. I find all of these entertaining and enjoyable and well written,
always looking forward to the next in the series. And also, Helen Holt's Mrs. Mallory,

Posted on Oct 11, 2010 10:48:21 PM PDT
I really enjoyed the rhys Bowen Royal spyness series

Emily Brightwell has an Inspector witherspoon series set in late 1800s

Anne Perry's Christmas series

Susan Wittig Albert - Beatrix Potter series

Elizabeth j Duncan - Penny Brannigan series (scotland)

Jeanne Dams - Dorothy Martin series

Kate Kinsbury - Pennyfoot hotel series

Carola Dunn - Daisy Dalrymple series

Agatha Christie - Miss Marple series

Robin Paige - Kathryn Ardleigh & Sir Charles series

all good reads and offhand I do not recall profanity in any of them

and i do not recall any profanity in them

happy reading

mar

Posted on Oct 12, 2010 5:39:34 AM PDT
Any of the 8 books by Josephine Tey would fit your criteria.

Posted on Oct 12, 2010 5:10:26 PM PDT
I'm reading Georgette Heyer's mysteries right now. They're classic whodunnits from the 1920s and 30s, and seem to be appropriately clean. Just recently the Kindle versions all went on sale for 2.99 and then 2.39... but they seem to be trickling back to higher prices again.

Camille

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2010 10:27:45 AM PST
Bren says:
Try Nancy Atherton and Her Aunt Dimity Series No profanity, or Sex, a bit of paranormal most are set in small English Village. I love them

Posted on Nov 22, 2010 12:43:38 PM PST
DLimp says:
Gayle Wigglesworth writes the Claire Gulliver Mystery Series which currently includes five adventures. Most recently she has published her stand-alone mystery called Mud to Ashes. Check it out. Excerpt from her website: THE CLAIRE GULLIVER MYSTERY SERIES:
Claire Gulliver, a single business woman in her forties has led a an uneventful life in San Francisco until doing a favor for a friend of her mother thrusts her into a situation where she almost loses her life. It is a traumatic experience and while she survives and indeed helps the police solve the mystery her life is now turned upside down. She had learned that sometimes bad things happen to good people.

After that incident, Claire an avid mystery fan, no longer wants to read mysteries. They are no longer fun. Instead she gets her pleasure reading travel books. And when her Great Uncle dies and leaves her all his worldly possessions, including the musty, out-dated book store in Bayside, California, Claire quits her secure job at the library, withdraws her accumulated retirement funds and opens Gulliver's Travel Book Shop.

Each of the mysteries occurs on one of Claire's travel adventures and so each is set in a different travel destination. These adventures allow the reader to solve a satisfying mystery, feel as if they have been to these places and actually participated in these adventures.

Tea is for Terror (The Claire Gulliver Mysteries)
Tea is for Terror (The Claire Gulliver Mysteries)

Posted on Nov 22, 2010 3:16:34 PM PST
I read Tea is for Terror. I don't understand how anyone would think it's a cozy. Cozies do NOT include scenes like the one with the limo (I won't go into detail). No way would I read any of this author's books if I want a cozy read.

Posted on Nov 22, 2010 4:29:43 PM PST
joanmarie says:
The Confessions of Georgia Nicolson Series and not to be forgotten, of course the Norton Anthology of Western Literature - always a comforting, family friendly option! Oh and even though its Greek, not British, Medea!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2010 4:49:19 PM PST
Camille - I loved Georgette Heyer's mysteries - still have some, faded yellow pages but still readable :o)

mar

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2010 3:41:41 PM PST
Christy says:
There is some coarser language in the M.C. Beaton books. Still cozy, but there is some sweatring in both series.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2011 7:59:25 AM PST
tutukeli says:
Hi,
Thanks so much for the info. Would you believe I had read all on your list except Elizabeth J Duncan and I just finished reading her 2 books that are out and I certainly recommend her.
Jeanne M Dam's newest Dorothy Martin book will be out this spring.
Thanks so much for everyone's suggestions.

Posted on Jan 2, 2011 12:57:59 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 2, 2011 12:59:04 PM PST
book lover says:
Try the Sheila Malory series by Hazel Holt - no sex or language, interesting characters, a smart woman of a certain age as the protaganist. There's an older series, by Betty Rowland, that is very good - true cozy, no overt sex, no language. Only problem is that most of them are OOP, so you will need to search second-hand book stores and online for them if you can't find them through your library. You migh also enjoy some of the older Brit. procedurals - Elizabeth Lemarchand, Dorothy Simpson and Patricia Moyes especially. They are clean, very limited violence, no overt sex and there's a lot of family time with the detectives. Catherine Aird, who is still writing, is also a good procedural author.

Posted on Jan 2, 2011 6:39:44 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 2, 2011 6:39:59 PM PST
The Hazel Holts are now being put out in Kindle editions - and for once, they've started with the first!

I'm hoping the other authors you mentioned will show up soon, too.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2011 10:31:20 PM PST
S. Frye says:
Bookworm says: 1/26/11
I like Victoria Black............who is a nun and helps the inspector solve mysteries or murder.
Victoria Thompson......setting in 1895 mystery....an irish cop and a young midwife solve murders
Anne Perry....murder mystery
Ann Purser............she cleans peoples houses, and works undercover sometimes to solve murder
she's a mother, grown children, husband, and her mother living with her.... its a delightful cozy mystery.
enjoy!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2011 5:47:07 AM PST
Minor correction - the Sister Joan series author is Veronica Black. I love those books. I have all of them, including the elusive final one, in paper; I just wish they'd be made available for my Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2011 3:50:25 PM PST
@ MF - Jeanne M Dam's newest book hit the shelves early - I' got it over a week ago from Amazon

A Dark and Stormy Night (Dorothy Martin Mysteries)

just thought I'd let ya know

Mar

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2011 6:23:55 PM PDT
Donna says:
The royal Tunbridge Wells Tea Museum series by Ron & Janet Benrey are delightful books, cozy and gentle. Dead as a Scone (The Royal Tunbridge Wells Mysteries)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2011 5:45:20 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 14, 2011 5:46:11 AM PDT
Whs McIntyre says:
Then look no further
Relatively Guilty (Robbie Munro - best defence series)
Duty Man (Robbie Munro - best defence series)
(though strictly speaking they're more Scottish than British).

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2011 8:50:49 AM PDT
Smiles, WHS, Scottish (as well as Welsh and Northern Irish) *are* British, but *not* English.

Posted on Nov 26, 2011 5:51:25 AM PST
book reader says:
Thank you so much for the Robbie Munro links. I just started Relatively Guilty five minutes ago.

Posted on Jan 6, 2012 1:52:30 PM PST
Whs McIntyre says:
Hope you enjoyed Relatively Guilty and Duty Man, Book Reader. Just thought I'd mention that there is a new Robbie Munro story out now (before I head off back across the Atlantic with the anti-self-promoters hot on my heels).
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cozy Mystery forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  23
Initial post:  Oct 7, 2010
Latest post:  Jan 6, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions