Customer Discussions > Arts & Crafts forum

Turkish Oya Needle Lace

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 27, 2012 6:54:40 AM PDT
Anna Lee says:
Does anyone have instructions or know anything about Oya Needle lace? It's very delicate and it looks a lot like crochet. It's often used for edgings or jewelry. It's been done in Turkey for centuries and it's three dimentional. I read of a woman in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania who was originally from Turkey. She made the lace from thread and then covered it somehow in silver to make jewelry. I would just like to be able to do the lace. It's beautiful and delicate. If you're a crafter and you see this lace, you'll be in love!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2012 8:59:20 AM PST
If you haven't already tried in books, go for The Beaded Edge, And The Beaded Edge2. Both are good. A small amount of repetition in the 2nd book but not too much. You can also find books from Japan and can locate a few blogs with the info about the it. I am currently awaiting my book on the flower technique from Japan but have both of the above mentioned books and they are good at starting you off. Sometimes it is crocheted, but hairpin lace is also used as well as tatting. Craftys has a class for tatting and you can also look at Purple Kitten (think that's the name) for free crochet edging patterns. I am doing my lace for scarves mainly.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Arts & Crafts forum (227 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Arts & Crafts forum
Participants:  2
Total posts:  2
Initial post:  Jun 27, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 22, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions