Customer Discussions > Arts & Crafts forum

beginner sewing machine

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 8, 2008 8:48:52 AM PST
I want to buy a sewing machine but, as a beginner, I'm clueless about where to start. What's a good basic, not too expensive, reliable model? Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2008 6:32:37 AM PDT
peace says:
Depends on how much you want to spend. Is there a Costco or Sams club near you. They sometimes carry sewing machines at good prices. But since you're a beginner, I would recommend going to a local fabric store/sewing machine store to actually try out the machines first.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2008 6:39:28 AM PDT
Sylvia says:
I would recommend going to a local dealer to try machines and discuss classes. Most dealers have machines for sale in a large range of pricing. The class will sometimes be included with a sale. And this is the one thing Costco and Sams
cannot give you. Good luck.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2008 12:40:42 PM PDT
I'd was in the same situation too. But a friend gave me her old machine when she got a new one. However, my stratagy was to take some sewing lessons to see what directions I wanted to go. Also some sewing places rent machines by the week. A great way to try out a machine. The place near me on Long Island rents a sewing machine for $25 a week. Call around and see if there's a deal like that or classes. Good luck.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2008 11:42:16 AM PDT
Janome, Brother and Bernina are all top brand names in sewing machines who have just come out with new "Beginner" sewing machines. These tend to be pretty basic machines without all of the bells and whistles of the high priced machines but with all of the quality! Great to learn on for beginners and they are light weight so they are also good for taking to classes and traveling for everyone else! For the most part, they are under $200, and have been on sale many times at this year at Hancock's and Joann's and other sewing supply stores. I would definitely buy from a shop that offers classes or at least follow-up support! One other good thing about buying these machines... sometimes these companies offer trade up programs!! I hope this helps!!

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2008 9:16:47 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 24, 2008 9:17:39 PM PDT
Marilyn WK says:
Definitely buy it from a local store that offers lessons with it. You need to know how to clean and oil your machine,, thread it properly, etc. As much as I love Costco, they don't give you those extras and this is one purchase where it's worth it. The people at JoAnn's who sell the machines there do nothing else but sell sewing machines and accessories so they know their stuff. Also check out the local quilt store. The places that sell top of the line machines (Bernina, Pfaff, Janome) and even places that sell the well-known lower-priced machines such as Singer, White, and Brother will offer some basic tuition on used machines they have taken in on trade, though you'll get more when you buy a new machine. I recently bought a near top of the line Bernina at the local quilting store and it came with unlimited classes for a year.

I hope that helps.
Marilyn

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2008 11:30:58 AM PDT
...if you can find a JoAnn's...I rode by where one I knew used to be and it was all bulldozed

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 5:20:03 PM PST
Where on long island can you rent a machine for a week? I live in Plainview. I'd love to do this!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 12:00:58 PM PST
ceilidh says:
Go to www.joann.com and use their store locater. You can do the same thing for Hancocks at www.hancockfabrics.com
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Arts & Crafts forum (227 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Arts & Crafts forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  Mar 8, 2008
Latest post:  Jan 12, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions